Raleigh and the Triangle Guide and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Was I seeing something earlier or was there a non-parrot reference that is no longer here?

It leaves me pining for the fjords. ;)

It got better, so I decided to stop giving Gotta Catch Em Staal a hard time. :laugh:

Speaking of food, wife and I went to The Pit last night...they now have a family style option. $19.99/person and the entire table has to take part in it. You get two apps, two entree meats, two sides, and a dessert. Here's the fun part. It's all you can eat. We got salad and onion rings as our appetizers, chopped barbeque and brisket for our entrees, baked beans and hand-cut fries as the side, and banana pudding for dessert.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
It got better, so I decided to stop giving Gotta Catch Em Staal a hard time. :laugh:

Speaking of food, wife and I went to The Pit last night...they now have a family style option. $19.99/person and the entire table has to take part in it. You get two apps, two entree meats, two sides, and a dessert. Here's the fun part. It's all you can eat. We got salad and onion rings as our appetizers, chopped barbeque and brisket for our entrees, baked beans and hand-cut fries as the side, and banana pudding for dessert.
At least now I know I wasn't just seeing things. Don't get on his bad side. I heard he turned someone into a newt.

Sounds like a deal at The Pit. Only problem is prevents you getting it to go and walking across the way to Tasty Beverage to eat it.

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
Canes Trip

Hey guys. Long time Whalers/Canes fan here from Canada trying to plan out his first trip to Raleigh to see my Canes play. Planning on coming down in October for 2 games (Kings and Coyotes) and would like your help on where to stay, what to do. My brother and I would like to get out for a couple rounds of golf, where are the nicer public courses? Which area should we stay in? Close to PNC Arena or downtown? Good restaurants?

Any other recommendations for what we should do? Thanks in advance.

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
When you check out the city in Google maps everything seems very far spread out. Beautiful, but spread out. If we stay near the arena is there good options for food?

DaleCooper

NEVER 4GET
Aug 2, 2005
Brooklyn
www.jonathanhawkins.net
Outside of the golf and the hockey, you should spend most of your time downtown. Raleigh does have horrible sprawl, but the downtown is one of the better smaller city downtowns in the country IMO. Lots of really great stuff going on there. Quite a few really good restaurants.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
When you check out the city in Google maps everything seems very far spread out. Beautiful, but spread out. If we stay near the arena is there good options for food?

Yes, in fact. Tarheel mentioned Backyard Bistro. Also within a 5 mile radius of the arena area are the following restaurants that have the Garnetpalmetto seal of approval:

Bella Monica (Italian)

Dos Taquitos (Mexican and Tex-Mex)

Waraji (Japanese)

Kanki (Japanese Steakhouse)

Iris (Contemporary American)

And hey, for your breakfast noshing there's a Waffle House not too terribly far away! Nothing more Southern than the Awful Waffle and with over 1.5 million different ways to order your hash browns, you can't go wrong.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013

For cheap, authentic North Carolina restaurants I recommend Bojangles and Cookout.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Seriously, you should not leave the South without having Bojangles (breakfast), Cookout (lunch) and Waffle House (2 am).

Hard to beat :nod:

Bojangles_support_banner.jpg

newarkcbj

Aug 10, 2008
Newark/C-bus
Thanks for the suggestions, going to try and make it down to Raleigh to watch Canes-Jackets. Before realignment took place hafta say the Canes were my team in the East having roots in Asheville and Hendersonville. Imagine as fans we may learn to hate each others teams but for now I can easily say I currently despite the Pens and Rangers more from my CBJ based viewpoint! Any opinions on Big Boss Brewing?

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
Thanks for the suggestions, going to try and make it down to Raleigh to watch Canes-Jackets. Before realignment took place hafta say the Canes were my team in the East having roots in Asheville and Hendersonville. Imagine as fans we may learn to hate each others teams but for now I can easily say I currently despite the Pens and Rangers more from my CBJ based viewpoint! Any opinions on Big Boss Brewing?

It's been 15 minutes, and I'm surprised you have no responses from this board. I can't comment because I'm only 20 and have never tried any of their products, but I'm sure plenty of posters can/will steer you in the right direction on that one.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

They're not bad at all, but IMO there are better in the area. I am a fan of the Kolsch though, very happy with that one.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
About 99% sure that I'll be visiting family in Durham in mid-October to also catch the Hawks game. Any suggestions of things to do in the area during the Autumn down there or if anything else is happening around that time?

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
You got the State Fair going on the 17-27 which is a lot of fun. Not sure what else is going on in Raleigh during that time, but Asheville is beautiful that time of year, and Biltmore worth the drive if you've never been before.

Guy

Feb 14, 2008
Any opinions on Big Boss Brewing?

I visit their taproom once a month or so on average, I'm a fan. With all of the breweries popping up in the area it's all a matter of a personal preference as to which one is the best. Trophy Brewing downtown has become pretty popular in a short period of time, and my friends keep telling me their pizza is some of the best, if not the best, in town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille