Raleigh and the Triangle Guide and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
If you want to try out good Carolina BBQ check out The Pit for lunch in Raleigh. I say do lunch because, unless things have changed, the portions are about the same as you'd get at dinner but the prices are cheaper.

If you're a craft beer guy at all that scene is absolutely exploding in Raleigh, with Raleigh Brewing Co being my one of choice at the moment, though I need to head down 98 and check out White Street since Ian's relocated from Lonerider to them. Lonerider's solid too but they're more production oriented.

As for outlet malls, I know there's some stuff out west towards Greensboro but that's damn near an hour out of the way each way.

Thanks for the info. Especially on the craft beer. :yo:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Thanks for the info. Especially on the craft beer. :yo:

Yeah there's a couple of them right by the PNC Arena off Hillsborough St that are worth checking out. RBC probably has the best lineup in the area at the moment, but their food option is basically whatever food trucks are in their lot that day or basic bar snacks (pretzels, chips). Some food trucks in this area are great, some can be misses. Seating generally isn't too bad, ton of space indoors and outdoors.

Trophy's a bit further down the road. The beer isn't as good but their pizza is solid, though definitely not of the style you'd be used to if you live in the NY area. Good luck getting somewhere to sit in there, and fighting back through traffic to PNC. But if you go say mid-afternoon (4PM) you should be able to pull it off in time fairly well.

Most of the other ones are up out of the way from the arena. White Street's up in Wake Forest, Lonerider and Gizmo are both by Brier Creek, Aviator's down in Fuquay-Varina, Big Boss is way out of the way off Capital in North Raleigh, Natty Greene's is much closer on Capital but still a good bit out of the way. Ton of good places worth checking out in the area.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Yeah there's a couple of them right by the PNC Arena off Hillsborough St that are worth checking out. RBC probably has the best lineup in the area at the moment, but their food option is basically whatever food trucks are in their lot that day or basic bar snacks (pretzels, chips). Some food trucks in this area are great, some can be misses. Seating generally isn't too bad, ton of space indoors and outdoors.

Trophy's a bit further down the road. The beer isn't as good but their pizza is solid, though definitely not of the style you'd be used to if you live in the NY area. Good luck getting somewhere to sit in there, and fighting back through traffic to PNC. But if you go say mid-afternoon (4PM) you should be able to pull it off in time fairly well.

Most of the other ones are up out of the way from the arena. White Street's up in Wake Forest, Lonerider and Gizmo are both by Brier Creek, Aviator's down in Fuquay-Varina, Big Boss is way out of the way off Capital in North Raleigh, Natty Greene's is much closer on Glenwood but still a good bit out of the way. Ton of good places worth checking out in the area.

FTFY Dave. There's also Boylan Bridge but I've never been impressed by them. Also not sure I'd categorize where Big Boss is as "N. Raleigh." It's still south of Millbrook which, to me, is the dividing line between Raleigh and N. Raleigh.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
Don't forget the breweries down in Holly Springs as well. CBC is closer to Raleigh than Aviator is, and I prefer most of their beers. They also have a free (all you can drink) tour every Saturday at 1 pm.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
"N. Raleigh." It's still south of Millbrook which, to me, is the dividing line between Raleigh and N. Raleigh.

The newer you are to the area, the more north your dividing line is.

If you ask someone who has lived here for more than 40 years, North Raleigh is "north Raleigh" and it's anything north of Wade Avenue/Capital Blvd. When I moved here in '92, it was I-440. Now, some are trying to re-term the North Hills area as "Midtown", which is strange to me given that such distance would make Garner more "Raleigh" than Midtown.

Guy

Feb 14, 2008
The newer you are to the area, the more north your dividing line is.

If you ask someone who has lived here for more than 40 years, North Raleigh is "north Raleigh" and it's anything north of Wade Avenue/Capital Blvd. When I moved here in '92, it was I-440. Now, some are trying to re-term the North Hills area as "Midtown", which is strange to me given that such distance would make Garner more "Raleigh" than Midtown.

I definitely lump everything outside the beltline to the north as "North Raleigh". The "Midtown" name is stupid and will continue to be stupid.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
So three things

1) How can I finally get the ball rolling on taking care o fthis thread as was discussed earlier?

2) Until then, I took justhereforthefights to Brasa for our wedding anniversary. It was a positively Swansonian carnivore's feast. IIRC they had something like 14 different types cuts of meat available via rodizio service - off the top of my head: 1) Chicken leg; 2) Chicken heart; 3) Parmesan chicken; 4) Bacon-wrapped chicken; 5) Leg of lamb; 6) Pork tenderloin; 7) Pork ribs; 8) Brazilian sausage; 9) Bacon-wrapped filet; 10) Top sirloin; 11) Garlic sirloin; 12) New York strip; 13) Picanha; 14) Cinnamon-roasted pineapple. Also the hot/cold bars had a pretty decent selection of sides. I could have stuffed myself with the balsamic-glazed mushrooms. Great place for a special night out.

3) Any desire to start a listing w/ websites and/or twitter or Facebook feeds for local food trucks?

Last edited:

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
3) Any desire to start a listing w/ websites and/or twitter or Facebook feeds for local food trucks?

I'm a fan of food trucks, but I haven't sought any out since I moved from Charlotte. I'll take this one, if there's interest. I can get cracking on it tonight... at some point before the move I found a (seemingly) exhaustive list of trucks in the area, so if I can find it again, that should make quick work of it.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
I'm a fan of food trucks, but I haven't sought any out since I moved from Charlotte. I'll take this one, if there's interest. I can get cracking on it tonight... at some point before the move I found a (seemingly) exhaustive list of trucks in the area, so if I can find it again, that should make quick work of it.

Just go look up the Raleigh Food Truck Rodeo list. I think the last one of the year is coming up shortly.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC

I do have a good many bookmarked on my computer to help save time. The only problem with that list is there are some who come in from the Triad or other far-flung parts that don't regularly get around to Raleigh. I know The Great Escape went to one rodeo and I don't think I've seen them in the Triangle since, but I usually see Greensboro-area locations on their calendar when I do my weekly "Who's coming out this way" check.

Here's who I keep tabs on:

American Meltdown - Taking simple grilled cheese to new heights with ingredients like manchego cheese, romesco sauce, and even black truffles. Alton Brown approved.

Baguettaboutit - Serving internationally themed sausage on baguette sandwiches.

Barone Meatball Company - Owned by a former Bella Monica sous chef, he goes above and beyond to make new and inspired takes on the classic meatball sandwich, including a gyro meatball sandwich, a buffalo chicken sandwich, chicken parmesan, roasted corn and black bean, and a variety of fish/seafood options. Mac-n-cheese is to die for.

Baton Rouge Cuisine - Cajun and Creole inspired cuisine owned by Anthony "Airport" Greenups, a Baton Rouge native and former Harlem Globetrotter.

Big City Sandwiches - Offers up urban-inspired grilled cheese including the Miami (their take on a Cuban), the Carrboro (a four-cheese grilled cheese), and the New York City (ham, apples, cheddar, and honey mustard on croissant).

Big John's Hot and Spicy - Lives up to its name - everything they serve is designed to have a kick to it

Big Mike's Barbeque - One of the most visible trucks around - designed to look like a big red barn and serving up barbeque.

Cafe Prost - Sweet and savory pretzels

Chez Moi Bakery - Rum Cake and Cakewiches (rum cake with some Parlour ice cream). What's not to love?

Chick-N-Que - Even more barbeque, although with a twist - no pork to be found here! Their ostrich burgers are amazing.

Chirba Chirba Dumpling - Serving Chinese dumplings, noodles, and Hong Kong style sausage. The only place where you can order some juicy buns and not get weird looks.

CJ's Street Food - "Chef inspired street food" and "gastrodogs," including things like a Korean kimchi quesadilla

Dang Good Dogs - For anybody wanting a respite from that red Bright Leaf crap, have a dang good dog.

Deli-icious Truck - More deli sandwiches and paninis.

Foster's on the Fly - The mobile branch of venerable Durham/Chapel Hill restaurant Foster's Market.

Gussy's Greek Street Food Tasty Greek eats (gyros, souvlaki, hummus, soups, and Greek fries) served up by Gus Megaloudis, an American-born Greek who went back to the homeland to play soccer and pick up some great recipes.

The Humble Pig - Barbeque

Klausie's Pizza - Detroit style deep dish pizza. Currently out of commission as Mike, the owner, attempts to open up a brick and mortar location.

KoKyu - Korean Barbeque with a fun street feel owing to the grafittied up trucks that feature Megaman, Bomberman Mario, QBert, and a variety of video game faves. Currently in the process of opening up a bricks and mortar.

LaFarm Bread Truck - The mobile branch of Lionel Vatinet's Cary-based LaFarm Bakery. In addition to doling out Lionel's delicious breads, they use those breads to make tasty French/Francophone-inspired sandwiches including banh mi, croque monsieur, and croque madame.

Mac-Ur-Roni - Mack out your 'roni with vegetable and meat toppings at this truck where you can buy by the bowl or by the tub.

Olde North State BBQ - More barbeque

OnlyBurger - The granddaddy of the local scene. Also a brick and mortar in Durham.

Parlez-Vous Crepes - Serving a variety of sweet and savory crepes

The Parlour - Also a brick and mortar now, offers up delicious frozen treats and creative ice cream flavors that would make Baskin Robbins ashamed.

Phat Wrapz - Wrap sandwiches, of course!

Pie Pusher's - Hand-tossed pizza and calzones

Porchetta - A porkcentric truck serving up Italian roast pork sandwiches, flatbreads, and pork burgers.

Sarge's Chef on Wheels - Asian/Caribbean inspired food. 15% discount to all active duty military.

Sweet Stacey Cakes - Also known as Smiles, the Cupcake Truck, Stacey Cakes offers up delicious cupcakes and adult takes on cupcakes including a margarita inspired cake.

Sweet Traditions by LeAne - Featuring Belle, their silver Airstream trailer serving up moist, delicious cupcakes.

Sympathy for the Deli - A mobile deli, serving up hand-roasted, cured, carved, and smoked locally sourced meats. Their peakles (spicy pickled sugar snap peas) are addictive.

Triangle Raw Foods - For those into food at its most primal, serves up dairy-free, gluten-free, organic, local, raw, vegan cuisine.

Valentino's Food Truck - Serving up Italian inspired eats including mozzarella sticks, sausage and pepper sandwiches, meatball sandwiches, and the like.

Will & Pop's - More grilled cheese and burger deliciousness, including The Game Changer, a double bacon cheeseburger served between two grilled cheese sandwiches.

Last edited:

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
I do have a good many bookmarked on my computer to help save time. The only problem with that list is there are some who come in from the Triad or other far-flung parts that don't regularly get around to Raleigh. I know The Great Escape went to one rodeo and I don't think I've seen them in the Triangle since, but I usually see Greensboro-area locations on their calendar when I do my weekly "Who's coming out this way" check.

Here's who I keep tabs on:

Huge list deleted

Out of that list, I've had...Baguettaboutit. Only because it was on Centennial campus that day and I was feeling adventurous/didn't want Chick-Fil-A. Got the South of the Border...it was okay, but not something worth the price (at least from a college student's perspective).

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Wow you actually SEEK out food trucks. I find that fascinating. How did you start doing that?

DaleCooper

NEVER 4GET
Aug 2, 2005
Brooklyn
www.jonathanhawkins.net
1) How can I finally get the ball rolling on taking care o fthis thread as was discussed earlier?

Just start a new thread when you are ready and I will close this one and sticky that one. If you want to keep all or part of the first post from this thread you can just copy it in (hit the quote button on it to get the code for copying and pasting).

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
2) Until then, I took justhereforthefights to Brasa for our wedding anniversary. It was a positively Swansonian carnivore's feast. IIRC they had something like 14 different types cuts of meat available via rodizio service - off the top of my head: 1) Chicken leg; 2) Chicken heart; 3) Parmesan chicken; 4) Bacon-wrapped chicken; 5) Leg of lamb; 6) Pork tenderloin; 7) Pork ribs; 8) Brazilian sausage; 9) Bacon-wrapped filet; 10) Top sirloin; 11) Garlic sirloin; 12) New York strip; 13) Picanha; 14) Cinnamon-roasted pineapple. Also the hot/cold bars had a pretty decent selection of sides. I could have stuffed myself with the balsamic-glazed mushrooms. Great place for a special night out.

Haven't been in a while, but I'll add a +1 to this. Never had a bad meal there, and you can't argue with endless steaks. :yo:

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Just start a new thread when you are ready and I will close this one and sticky that one. If you want to keep all or part of the first post from this thread you can just copy it in (hit the quote button on it to get the code for copying and pasting).

That'd work for me - if you could be so kind as to PM me with your opening post including the picture coding/links so I could reuse as necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad