Race for the Rocket Richard 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
"Since when is the Richard trophy race not worth discussing on a hockey forum?"
Since a Leafs player had a shot at it.

"Since when do posters suggest individual trophies are meaningless in a shortened/realigned season?"
Since a Leafs player had a shot at one of them.

Let's keep playing.
I guess I should have explained myself lol. The largest fanbase that has been starved of trophies is about to win one and they are excited...I would be too, nothing wrong with that.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Getting sick of this "Yah but they play the Sens," There are 5 or 6 terrible teams in the league that are on par with the Sens...and in a regular season you play all the terrible teams.

Pretty much this...
- The North has Ottawa
- The West has Anaheim, who's better than Ottawa, but LA and San Jose who are worse than Vancouver & Calgary
- The Central has Detroit
- The East has Buffalo and New Jersey

Plus, of his 31 goals this year, 9 have come against Ottawa; take those games clean-away, and he's 1 goal behind Rantanen & McDavid.... 22 goals in 30 games versus Rantanen with 23 in 40, and McDavid with 23 in 42.

Then of course, consider the fact that McDavid has played 9 games against Ottawa this year, scoring 4 goals, and racking up 17 points along the way.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Getting sick of this "Yah but they play the Sens," There are 5 or 6 terrible teams in the league that are on par with the Sens...and in a regular season you play all the terrible teams.

People just mad that a Leaf player in leading a major award.

Nobody talks about the fact that McDavid got 36 of his 69 points against Ottawa / Calgary

Reactions: Dustin and Vaive50

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I've been tracking the goal-scoring race for a couple of weeks.

At the end of April 4th, Matthews was leading the goal-scoring race 25-22. I estimated him to have 63% chance of winning the Richard trophy.

After the game on April 5th (where he scored two goals), I estimated his chances to be 80%.

After his hat trick yesterday, Matthews very nearly has the Richard trophy locked up. I now estimate he has a 93% chance of winning that award. Rantanen and McDavid each have a 4% chance, Draisaitl 2%, and Ovechkin 1%. (This adds to more than 100% due to the possibility of a tie).

Matthews would need a catastrophic collapse (or perhaps a season-ending injury), and one of those players would have to go on a hot streak to take it from Matthews at this point. That being said, 93% isn't 100%, and the race isn't over until May 16th.

jalidi

Apr 5, 2012
There's still like 15 or 16 games left. Matthews is ahead, but not so far that we can declare a winner at this point.

That being said, we'll probably have three or four 30 goal scorers this year, Ovechkin is tracking to finish with 29, and Matthews has a very good chance of being the only 40 goal scorer.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Only did this quickly, but I believe there's only one player (Rantanen) on pace to pass Matthews' current 31 goals by the end of the season.

Reactions: saffronleaf

TheRexman

Just have fun
Jul 5, 2015
Quebec City
Canadian division is a gift to Matthews.
Lets see who will win it next year when you have anything other than Senators
Awwww, salty much? I absolutely love seeing fans like you get all bent out of shape. Cry some more please!!! Maybe start a petition because it's just not fair that a Maple Leaf is going to win a trophy. Have a nice day Salty McSalty.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
There's still like 15 or 16 games left. Matthews is ahead, but not so far that we can declare a winner at this point.

That being said, we'll probably have three or four 30 goal scorers this year, Ovechkin is tracking to finish with 29, and Matthews has a very good chance of being the only 40 goal scorer.

It is worth noting if McDavid continues his current pace he'll end with 31 goals (rounding up). So assuming Matthews doesn't score another goal this year they would tie.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
I've been tracking the goal-scoring race for a couple of weeks.

At the end of April 4th, Matthews was leading the goal-scoring race 25-22. I estimated him to have 63% chance of winning the Richard trophy.

After the game on April 5th (where he scored two goals), I estimated his chances to be 80%.

After his hat trick yesterday, Matthews very nearly has the Richard trophy locked up. I now estimate he has a 93% chance of winning that award. Rantanen and McDavid each have a 4% chance, Draisaitl 2%, and Ovechkin 1%. (This adds to more than 100% due to the possibility of a tie).

Matthews would need a catastrophic collapse (or perhaps a season-ending injury), and one of those players would have to go on a hot streak to take it from Matthews at this point. That being said, 93% isn't 100%, and the race isn't over until May 16th.
I estimate Matthews has a 100% chance of winning the Rocket.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
What is the highest discrepancy between a first and second Rocket winner has there been? If Matthews keeps up this pace, I would assume it would be up among the greatest ever.

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
I have to laugh at those who claim he's only winning because of the division he plays in.

His rookie season he finished second to Sidney Crosby.
Last season he finished 2nd to a Pastrnak/Ovechkin tie.

I don't think the guy has had trouble scoring goals against American teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad