Race for the Calder

Status
Not open for further replies.

dedutchhockey

Dec 30, 2020
Won’t matter for Calder Voting but something to keep in mind with these rookies in terms of
Potential.

Suter 24
Kaprizov 23
Luostrainen 22
Romanov 21
Norris 21
Vilardi 21
K Miller 21

Hoglander 20. Turned 20 in December

he was ineligible for this years WJC by 2 weeks.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
This play sums up Hoglander. Broadcast crew was also asked to describe him in one word, they said “relentless” He was dog on a bone getting the apple for the Pearson goal

Hoglander is a bit of a dark horse for the Calder but he is 3rd in rookie scoring. Top 5 in the NHL in puck battles won and he is 6th in Takeaways.

View attachment 389911

he does steal the puck a lot.

i attribute horvat's hot start to a bunch of the little things hogland is doing on his wing.

but having watched just two games of Kaprizov, it will take PP time for hoglander to get into the conversation and for minni's pp to stay cold

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Won’t matter for Calder Voting but something to keep in mind with these rookies in terms of
Potential.

Suter 24
Kaprizov 23
Luostrainen 22
Romanov 21
Norris 21
Vilardi 21
K Miller 21

i love these type of posts, which try to make an argument for one of your teams own player and to make it appear a stronger one, willingly not list e.g. ty smith, because he didn't fit your narrative.

i know the next post will be, that you have simply forgotten about him. bla, bla.

Last edited:

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Skaters
1. Kaprizov, 7 points
2. Smith, 6 points
3. Norris, 5 points
3. Hoglander, 5 points
5. Suter, 4 points

Goalies (min 4 games)
1. Lankinen, .931%, 2.18
2. Kahkonen, .917%, 2.40
3. Vanecek, .915%, 2.75
4. Shesterkin, .894%, 2.73

Last edited:

dedutchhockey

Dec 30, 2020
i love these type of posts, which try to make an argument for one of your teams own player and to make it appear a stronger one, willingly not list e.g. ty smith, because he didn't fit your narrative.

i know the next post will be, that you have simply forgotten about him. bla, bla.

TY smith 21 next month and is 9 months older than Hoglander. So yes I did just forget about him.

Cozens is probably going to be the youngest in pack. He is 19 and doesn’t turn 20 for another couple of weeks. Hoglander is 2 months older than Cozens.

But sorry there’s no conspiracy

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Hoglander is a fascinating player to watch closely. On most shifts he does something truly special in the Offensive or Defensive zone. Everyone sees his obvious flare but what is unique is that he was defensively reliable upon entering the league. He is such a heady player. Several times this season already, the bench has erupted when he demonstrates his cleverness of intercepting passes or stripping a player of the puck or coming of a scrum with the puck. Calder or not, he will be in the league for a long time.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
I am not an Oiler fan by any stretch, but when McDavid flys, it is something

My point is, with these kids, no matter what team they are on, if they show talent

I just marvel at it and enjoy.

I want to see skill and a good defenseman who stops other talent is still talent

and we need more of it in our league. Lots of great O guys, and some great goalies.

Its a strange year, but.........

Good luck to the players and let the best man win!

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I would nominate Kevin Lankinen as the early Calder favorite.

His 5 on 5 numbers are unreal so far this season after 5 games.
Sure small what ever but still...

6 goals against (113/119)
1.20 gaa

Only 1 regulation loss.

We are talking about the Chicago Blakhawks starting goalie here
for one, who are missing Jonathan Toews, Alex DeBrincat, Kirby Dach
Adam Boqvist and if you wanna count Alexander Nylander as well
and supposedly on a franchise rebuild mode

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Potential.

Suter 24
Kaprizov 23
Luostrainen 22
Romanov 21
Norris 21
Vilardi 21
K Miller 21

It is not so simple. Skinner won it at the age of 19, Panarin at 24. No they both are about 29. So much potential gone to waste. Sure.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Lankinen has done the most for his team and it's not particularly close. I mean he's their MVP so far, let alone best rookie.

Let's see if it continues though.

Reactions: Mestaruus

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
Byram is here to stay for the rest of the season. He's already in a top 4 role, and Bednar clearly trusts him. Don't count him out. Still 48 games left for the Avs.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Lankinen has done the most for his team and it's not particularly close. I mean he's their MVP so far, let alone best rookie.

Let's see if it continues though.

Since Hawks are in a tricky situation, it's hard to see Lankinen winning it, even if he continues to play like that.

Kaprizov has been preparing for years for this and it really shows... the fact that MIN have managed a 1-year rebuild at the same time just adds to the hype, even though it doesn't seem like a fair competition imo.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Hoglander with another after a spectacular shift. The dude is a monster. His combination of strength, skill, creativity, and effort make something exciting happen every time he's on the ice

Don't wanna say too much or get ahead of myself with such a small sample size when he could just be hot, but I love the way he plays

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Hoglander definitely on my radar.

K’Andre Miller may be the best Ranger so far this season and is getting more comfortable joining the offense. 4 points in 8 games but an absolute stud defensively and in transition. Leads the team with +7. Playing 20+ minutes per night now.

Reactions: Canucks LB

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
I think Kaprizov, Stutzle, Lafranierres or Byram to loose.
Byram has played great, especially defensively. That being said, he isn't going to win the Calder unless he starts to rack up points in a hurry. I don't know that he is even in the discussion.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I would nominate Kevin Lankinen as the early Calder favorite.

His 5 on 5 numbers are unreal so far this season after 5 games.
Sure small what ever but still...

6 goals against (113/119)
1.20 gaa

Only 1 regulation loss.

We are talking about the Chicago Blakhawks starting goalie here
for one, who are missing Jonathan Toews, Alex DeBrincat, Kirby Dach
Adam Boqvist and if you wanna count Alexander Nylander as well
and supposedly on a franchise rebuild mode

FWIW the Hawks appear to be playing much more structured and careful hockey this year. They are more goalie friendly than they were before even with the injuries.

In any case Lankinen would still probably get the Trophy if it was awarded today, him or Ty Smith. I don't think that makes him "favorite" though, not until he gives us a much bigger sample.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Hoglander with another after a spectacular shift. The dude is a monster. His combination of strength, skill, creativity, and effort make something exciting happen every time he's on the ice

Don't wanna say too much or get ahead of myself with such a small sample size when he could just be hot, but I love the way he plays
I picked him up in fantasy this year, do not regret. His determination and hands...oh boy, kid will be a star.

GreatSaveLuongo

May 4, 2009
looks like Binnington/Hammond 2.0 so far, hope he keeps up the excellent play
FWIW the Hawks appear to be playing much more structured and careful hockey this year. They are more goalie friendly than they were before even with the injuries.

In any case Lankinen would still probably get the Trophy if it was awarded today, him or Ty Smith. I don't think that makes him "favorite" though, not until he gives us a much bigger sample.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Right now the top three has to be Kaprizov, Lankinen, and Smith. Probably will change, but these three are off to excellent starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad