Reactions: Ginger Papa

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018
1. Kaprizov, 6 points
2. Smith, 6 points
3. Suter, 4 points
4. Norris, 4 points
5. Hoglander, 3 points

Actually, Ty Smith has 6 points in 5 games (including tonight's game in progress) so would be ahead of Kaprizov's 6 points in 6 games (including tonight's game in progress).

Reactions: Xirik

jaywills1020

Mar 14, 2004
He won’t have the points totals of the other players but K’Andre Miller is gonna be one hell of a player. I’m more excited about him then Lafreniere.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Gotta be Kaprizov’s to lose. There was no transition period for him before he started tearing up the NHL, and I don’t see that stopping any time soon.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Kaprizov.... quite easily. Posters here really underestimare the difference 4 years of growing and developing makes.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Eligibility: To be eligible for the Calder Memorial Trophy, a player cannot have played more than 25 games in any single preceding season nor in six or more games in each of any two preceding seasons in any major professional league. Beginning in 1990-91, a player must not have attained his 26th birthday by Sept.

What leagues are considered "major professional leagues"? Why even have this verbiage if there are currently no other leagues that are considered. Was this only in there for Gretzky? I think the WHA was the only league that was ever considered to nullify eligibility right?

Where would you guys like to see the line drawn? I think players playing in the KHL and other pro men's leagues should have a reasonable cutoff. Why have it in the eligibility requirements if you are just going to ignore it?

Are there any other funny quirks like this that are written in the rules but totally ignored?

Reactions: MrGold

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Where would you guys like to see the line drawn? I think players playing in the KHL and other pro men's leagues should have a reasonable cutoff. Why have it in the eligibility requirements if you are just going to ignore it?

That also means Romanov, Sorokin, Suter and Hoglander would all be ineligible. Romanov and Sorokin played more than 2 seasons in the KHL, Suter more than a couple seasons in the Swiss League, Hoglander more than a couple seasons in the Swedish League.

It would turn into only North American players then...

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Bowen Byram is playing top 4 minutes on the Avs. He’ll be in the conversation if he keeps playing well.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
That also means Romanov, Sorokin, Suter and Hoglander would all be ineligible. Romanov and Sorokin played more than 2 seasons in the KHL, Suter more than a couple seasons in the Swiss League, Hoglander more than a couple seasons in the Swedish League.

It would turn into only North American players then...

I don't think the current verbiage is perfect, since it doesn't differentiate between NHL experience compared to other experience. KHL/SHL/FEL (etc) games should not equate to NHL games one to one. Maybe two to one?

I'm sure it's more of an ego thing where the NHL doesn't even want to acknowledge those leagues as pro leagues, but if the rules state that they are half of what the NHL is, I'm sure they could get behind something like that.

I'm surprised that they didn't clarify the eligibility after Panarin won with 30 years of KHL experience.

Reactions: Sam Cogliano

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Eligibility: To be eligible for the Calder Memorial Trophy, a player cannot have played more than 25 games in any single preceding season nor in six or more games in each of any two preceding seasons in any major professional league. Beginning in 1990-91, a player must not have attained his 26th birthday by Sept.

What leagues are considered "major professional leagues"? Why even have this verbiage if there are currently no other leagues that are considered. Was this only in there for Gretzky? I think the WHA was the only league that was ever considered to nullify eligibility right?

Are there any other funny quirks like this that are written in the rules but totally ignored?

I think NHL is the only one considered the Major professional league.

Sergei Makarov won the calder at the age of 31. AHL and farm teams don't count (ie: Stone's eligibility after like 3 seasons going up and down).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad