Race for the Calder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Maybe it's just me but it doesn't seem like there's much discussion about Ty Smith. Am I living under a rock or....

playing for the Devils will do that

Smith has been great offensively but his defensive game definitely needs work. Obviously if he continues to put up points he’ll be in the discussion but I doubt he wins.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

dedutchhockey

Dec 30, 2020
I have Kaprizov slightly ahead but it’s getting harder and harder to justify not having Hoglander at the top as well .

Hoglander is top 3 in rookie scoring despite averaging almost 5 minutes less of ice time as Kaprizov.

but even a bigger factor...

Hoglander is tied for 3rd in Takeaways in the entire NHL.

He also gives it away considerably less overall and less per 60 minutes than anyone in the top 5 for takeaways.

09FF4368-45C8-4781-BAE6-4F98216016F6.png

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
playing for the Devils will do that

Smith has been great offensively but his defensive game definitely needs work. Obviously if he continues to put up points he’ll be in the discussion but I doubt he wins.

I was very surprised to see Smith is leading the rookie scoring when I checked tonight.

Him and Kaprizov are early favourites. Love me some Kaprizov and, as a Canucks fan, Hoglander. I see those two plus Smith being nominated with Kaprizov winning.

Macbanan

Dec 28, 2013
Uppsala, Sweden
Hoglander is top 3 in rookie scoring despite averaging almost 5 minutes less of ice time as Kaprizov.

True but Höglander has played at least 2 more games than any other rookie. Compared to Kaprizov he has a lower average point per minute average... if you want to be entirely strict about it in this early stage.

dedutchhockey

Dec 30, 2020
True but Höglander has played at least 2 more games than any other rookie. Compared to Kaprizov he has a lower average point per minute average... if you want to be entirely strict about it in this early stage.

season is 20% done. Don’t think you can say early stage anymore.
I fully expect Kaprizov to outscore Hoglander but if Hoglander stays within an arms length points wise then his 2way ability and stats might catapult him ahead of Kaprizov.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
In one hand Kaprizov is getting a lot of ice time due to a weak Minnesota offensive roster, on the other hand there’s not much skill to support him

Reactions: Suhov

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I don't think Hoglander will win. But I think he has a great shot at being in the final 3.

It would be historic if the Canucks get a rookie in the top 3 a 4th year in a row

*knocks on wood*

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Kaprizov is probably the closest to a lock a day finalist, otherwise pretty wide open.

Hoglander has been a stud for the Canucks so far, beyond just the scoresheet. He’s relentless and strong on pucks never giving up on plays, and is so good at getting pucks back from dump ins or coming out of contact with the puck.

Lots of hockey left, but have been pretty impressed so far. Regardless of whether he’s a finalist, if he can sustain his level of play over the season I’d be thrilled.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Keep an eye on Pierre-Olivier Joseph. Stepped up with all the injuries to Pittsburgh's defense. Four assists in his first five games.
Shouldn´t be in the discussion yet. But he´s been fantastic for the Penguins. After 13 minutes of TOI in first games he played over 26 minutes the last night for the Pens. 3 beautiful primary assists, +3, completely dominant offensively and defensively in whole game. He beat the Rangers almost singlehandidly. Pens played that game with only 4 defensemen after Letang´s injury (Ceci and Ruhwedel being two of them, I don´t even count Yannick Weber). And he stepped up and dominated the game.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

dedutchhockey

Dec 30, 2020
My pick at the moment is K'Andre Miller. So good.

he’s going to need to score more than 4 pts in 8 games especially the way Ty Smith as a Dman is scoring.

I don’t doubt Miller has been good overall but these awards are always production based.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Höglander's performance is much more than his points. His game off the puck has been excellent. He's hounding defensemen and is great on the boards, despite his size. His gap control is really good. He skates really well and knows where to skate. That's what has impressed more than his points.

I'm just waiting for his first Zorro goal, or as it's called in the NA, the Michigan. He's really good at launching it very quickly in one movement.

dedutchhockey

Dec 30, 2020
Höglander's performance is much more than his points. His game off the puck has been excellent. He's hounding defensemen and is great on the boards, despite his size. His gap control is really good. He skates really well and knows where to skate. That's what has impressed more than his points.

I'm just waiting for his first Zorro goal, or as it's called in the NA, the Michigan. He's really good at launching it very quickly in one movement.

He said in an interview last night that he isn’t afraid to do the Michigan, he just needs to get used to the smaller rink size in NHL. Don’t forget there’s more room behind the net in Europe.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Our centers, our coach and our insanely idiotic power play is going cost Kaprizov the trophy. His talent is incredible but there's only so much he can fight upstream against.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad