Race for the Calder

Status
Not open for further replies.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
If all around game mattered I would put Miller in the top 5 right now but probably points are gonna be the biggest deciding factor.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
If all around game mattered I would put Miller in the top 5 right now but probably points are gonna be the biggest deciding factor.
Unfortunately points do factor in disproportionately. Kandre was never a big scorer, but Calder does go to Defensive D man though, last time was like 17 years ago to Barret Jackman. I think he narrowly edged out Nash.

Its more likely to end up with Kaprizov, that's a huge leg up in development compared with the rest of the class like Laf or even Hoglander, who got an early start at the SHL.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Eligibility: To be eligible for the Calder Memorial Trophy, a player cannot have played more than 25 games in any single preceding season nor in six or more games in each of any two preceding seasons in any major professional league. Beginning in 1990-91, a player must not have attained his 26th birthday by Sept.

What leagues are considered "major professional leagues"? Why even have this verbiage if there are currently no other leagues that are considered. Was this only in there for Gretzky? I think the WHA was the only league that was ever considered to nullify eligibility right?

Where would you guys like to see the line drawn? I think players playing in the KHL and other pro men's leagues should have a reasonable cutoff. Why have it in the eligibility requirements if you are just going to ignore it?

Are there any other funny quirks like this that are written in the rules but totally ignored?
They could simplify it for sure:

- Under 26 years old
- Not played more than 24 games in a single previous NHL season (14 games for a goalie)
- Not played more than 39 previous NHL games total (24 games for goalie)

Done.

Kingbobert

Jul 15, 2005
Montreal
Unfortunately points do factor in disproportionately. Kandre was never a big scorer, but Calder does go to Defensive D man though, last time was like 17 years ago to Barret Jackman. I think he narrowly edged out Nash.

Its more likely to end up with Kaprizov, that's a huge leg up in development compared with the rest of the class like Laf or even Hoglander, who got an early start at the SHL.
i wonder what would have to happen for another defensive dman to win the calder again? Like how lights out would one have to be to outshine a high scoring forward

they rarely get the recognition they deserve
Always thought there should be more awards for defensemen

as for the question at hand, i think Kaprizov is the safe bet at this point.

we'll see in a couple of weeks.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
i wonder what would have to happen for another defensive dman to win the calder again? Like how lights out would one have to be to outshine a high scoring forward

recently, the closest was Heiskanen. They have to play every game and average upwards of 21 mins as rookies, majority at even strength. for a defensive D man to shine, I assume they will have to play on good teams, otherwise their observable stats get dragged down by goals allowed. I dont think we will even see a D man with less than 15 points win a Calder ever.... so they cannot be Tanev, Hjarlmarsson or Pesce types. THey will have to not coincide with anyone flashy breaking out that year too. Jackman was competing with Nash and Zetterberg, who didnt clear 45 points.

When all is said and done. Dont hold your breath.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

There would have to not be any high-scoring forwards. Probably not even any medium-scoring ones.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I think it will not be easy for Cozens to do this, so I hope it will be Kaprizov.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
He's got some statistical catching up to do to the rookie scoring leaders right now, but he looks like he's getting comfortable/confident out there.

I'm not saying Cozens is going to win it (nor do I really care), but he's a whopping 3 points behind the rookie leaders and has goals in each of his last 2 games. Hardly seems out of reach to me.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
The race is wide open. It's odd because I think most of us thought Lafreniere would be a shoe in.

If course he could still easily figure it out and end up winning.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Dark horses are Lankinen and Vanecek. Lankinen probably has a better chance as he doesn't have a Samsonov to fight for the #1 job.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

Barret Jackman, the last of an era- and what a f***in name to end it on. Barret goddamn Jackman, you know a guy with a name like that stands dudes up at the line and has a lot of beautiful exposed pine in his home. He has 30 points and a big ass truck, Barret. f***ing. Jackman.

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
I don't see any Dmen in the running this year. After the ridiculous 1-2 combo we had last season, this year's crop won't have the flashy stats to match up and won't look as good as they rightfully should in comparison.
Romanov was better defensively than makar and Hughes imo but not offensively

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
He's got some statistical catching up to do to the rookie scoring leaders right now, but he looks like he's getting comfortable/confident out there.

oh yeah I just meant conversation since no one said his name, not really a contender but it’s good to see him confident ...if he gets top six regular minutes maybe ....but I doubt it because who gets bumped out and that’s with skinner out of the top six, so I think he won’t ...still good to see

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Was surprised that nobody mentioned Kyrou, but I didn't know he played enough games last season to not be eligible.

I thought this was his third year in the league, lol....(I know I’m wrong in just saying that’s how long I thought he was here)

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Hoglander is going to be in this conversation by years end. Especially if one of the top guys get injured and he plays on the top line pp unit.

That’s gotta be some sort of record of having at least a Calder Finalist for 4 years in a row for Van if does happen.

Boeser Pettersson Hughes Hoglander

Then they have Podkolzin next year. Oy

It’s insane that they are still kind of bad. I don’t know what Benning was thinking with that defence.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
I'm not saying Cozens is going to win it (nor do I really care), but he's a whopping 3 points behind the rookie leaders and has goals in each of his last 2 games. Hardly seems out of reach to me.
I love Cozens two way game so far.He is also considered a good PK but the Sabres haven't used him yet and probably won't this season.Also Krueger plans on resting him periodically keeping him fresh and keeping other guys game ready.I like the approach to be honest but if he misses say 12-15 games that will cost him a potential rookie of the year but his learning curb is more important to the future of him and Buffalo

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I'm really surprised at the lack of Josh Norris talk in Calder threads... he was my darkhorse choice before season started to be in the top 3 and he has been really impressive so far. Only 1 point behind the leaders Kaprizov and Smith

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
It could change rapidly but I think K'andre Miller just took the lead for now, that guy is a beast.

dedutchhockey

Dec 30, 2020
This play sums up Hoglander. Broadcast crew was also asked to describe him in one word, they said “relentless” He was dog on a bone getting the apple for the Pearson goal

Hoglander is a bit of a dark horse for the Calder but he is 3rd in rookie scoring. Top 5 in the NHL in puck battles won and he is 6th in Takeaways.

792A1646-9A86-4091-8C0B-7A696AF9AF22.png

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
how do you compete with a guy who is coming over in his D+5 playing against men all this time? its like asking current Connor/Boeser to compete with Cozens/Stutzle/Lafrenierre?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->