Quinn Hughes vs. Cale Makar

Who will be better?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
As somebody who watches more NCAA than NHL.

Makar is not a better skater.
Hughes was the best skater in the NCAA this past season.

As for who is better I think it is really close.
Sue me if I don’t trust someone who is trying to use appeal to authority in favor of his team’s player

Perhaps elaborate and eliminate that reason to doubt?

SteelerNation

Oct 23, 2012
Sue me if I don’t trust someone who is trying to use appeal to authority in favor of his team’s player

Do you ever say anything of substance or is this your way of discrediting someone’s argument without doing any research yourself?
The Avalanche wish they drafted Petterson over Makar and as someone who watched a ton of college hockey last year, I can say Hughes is much more dynamic of a player than Makar.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Do you ever say anything of substance or is this your way of discrediting someone’s argument without doing any research yourself?
The Avalanche wish they drafted Petterson over Makar and as someone who watched a ton of college hockey last year, I can say Hughes is much more dynamic of a player than Makar.
At least I don’t pretend to have substance to say just to boost my ego. I don’t make disingenuous arguments just to support a conclusion I’ve already come to

Is it that hard to just be fair and not pretend opinions like that must be objective, forcing a blatant problematic argument?

And I don’t think I’ve ever seen an Avs fans say they’d have preferred Petterson, fyi

Sort of a random comment to make... you know... unless...

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
At least I don’t pretend to have substance to say just to boost my ego. I don’t make disingenuous arguments just to support a conclusion I’ve already come to

Is it that hard to just be fair and not pretend opinions like that must be objective, forcing a blatant problematic argument?

And I don’t think I’ve ever seen an Avs fans say they’d have preferred Petterson, fyi

Sort of a random comment to make... you know... unless...

By your logic we should never compare two players because there are hundreds of confounding variables. There's always going to be that one shark who goes " you can't compare these two players because not everything was equal" . Why do you even post on HF boards if that's all you are going to post?

Hughes outproduced Makar being one year younger . That's a fact. Sure there are tons of variables that impact each player's performance but it is impossible to use statistical methods to actually predict who is truely the better player so we are just going by what has happened.

Why don't you post some facts arguing FOR Makar then?

Your swinging back and forth against posters in an argument that has no answer.

The point of this forum is to compare and talk about players among the casual and hardcore hockey fans. We aren't quantitative scientists who know the answer to everything .

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado

I'm not saying he is a better player, but in skating yes.
Buccigross and Melrose both said during the tournament he was the best skater in the NCAA.

Quint Kessenich said he is one of the better skaters out of the NCAA in a few years

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
I'm not saying he is a better player, but in skating yes.
Buccigross and Melrose both said during the tournament he was the best skater in the NCAA.

Quint Kessenich said he is one of the better skaters out of the NCAA in a few years
So you don't have an opinion on why? Just trying to state he is? Then claiming these people agree with you?

You... think that's an argument? After you literally just placed yourself in a role of expertise to declare it initially?

I gave you a chance to actually expand your opinion to something more than "He's better at it because I said so" and you failed spectacularly.

Last edited:

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
By your logic we should never compare two players because there are hundreds of confounding variables. There's always going to be that one shark who goes " you can't compare these two players because not everything was equal" . Why do you even post on HF boards if that's all you are going to post?

Hughes outproduced Makar being one year younger . That's a fact. Sure there are tons of variables that impact each player's performance but it is impossible to use statistical methods to actually predict who is truely the better player so we are just going by what has happened.

Why don't you post some facts arguing FOR Makar then?

Your swinging back and forth against posters in an argument that has no answer.

The point of this forum is to compare and talk about players among the casual and hardcore hockey fans. We aren't quantitative scientists who know the answer to everything .
"I'm trying to make atrocious comparisons, so it means all comparisons are bad and my bad comparisons should be treated just as legitimate as reasonable ones!"

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
So you don't have an opinion on why? Just trying to state he is? Then claiming these people agree with you?

You... think that's an argument? After you literally just placed yourself in a role of expertise to declare it initially?

I gave you a chance to actually expand your opinion to something more than "He's better at it because I said so" and you failed spectacularly.

ohh proven wrong and can't accept it.

How embarrassing.
I'm still waiting for you to prove otherwise. WAITING
I have NCAA hockey analysts backing up my claim.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Yup deflecting

Ok its clear you have nothing
And the point went way over your head, lol

You realize I'm not even claiming you're wrong... right? You've actually read my posts and aren't just being defensive to protect your self esteem... Right?

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Can you formulate a thought that doesnt resemble dumpster fire.

I have said I dont know who is better but in just skating I would give the edge to hughes.

Last edited:

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
You want facts
Makar plays in the WEAK Hockey East so he should clean up scoring wise
Hockey East's record against the big 10 last year............ was 0-10-2 (not a single win)

Makar wasnt even the highest producing D-man on his own team, and he plays in a weaker conference.
lol, you just gave up pretending you were defending that earlier claim?
I think you guys broke echo
You say as your friends here can't even keep their argument straight. Then again, you whithered into a shell earlier yourself when pressed on doing more than being blatantly biased, so color me surprised.

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
So we have
lol, you just gave up pretending you were defending that earlier claim?

You say as your friends here can't even keep their argument straight.

Have you said anything of Merit in this thread like seriously?
plus guys who watch and analyze the NCAA say he's the best skater in the NCAA

not better player, but just skating at this moment.

Last edited:

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
So we have

So Hughes who plays in statistically the toughest conference in the NCAA
Hughes is a year younger
and he out scores Makar

plus guys who watch the NCAA say he's the best skater in the NCAA

hmmm tough decision.
So you still trying to make an argument? Or just saying things and hoping they make sense?

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I mean, you’re basically just proving my point there. You’re arbitrarily picking frequency of a word to determine the difference?

Again, forcing a comparison on such arbitrary terms just shows you’re trying to make an excuse to come to the conclusion you want over actually, legitimately comparing them

So first a consensus amongst people who follow the prospects doesn't work. Then websites that annually cover prospects doesn't work. What is legitimately comparing then for you? I guess we need to compare tape?

I took parts that referred to skating, my point was about skating. This is ridiculous.

Do you even have an argument here or are you just nitpicking people you don't agree with? What do you have to say Makar is the better skater? What do you have to bring forward here?

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
So first a consensus amongst people who follow the prospects doesn't work.
Yeah, let's not pretend any of what you showed was that, when you decided to quantify consensus by how much they said a word you liked.

Last edited:

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
I fully thought Cale Makar was one of those really young players in his draft class like Boqvist this year, so that he and hughes were like a couple months a part. I dont know why I thought that.

Now that I know they are a year difference I'm going to go with Hughes, as they are essentially at the exact same stage of development.

Last edited:

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Yeah, let's not pretend any of what you showed was that, when you decided to quantify consensus by how much they said a word you liked.

"said a word you liked" Wow, this is craziness.

So anyway, do you even have an argument against my opinion? Since your apparently the arbitrator here, where's your "legitimate comparison"?

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
"said a word you liked" Wow, this is craziness.

So anyway, do you even have an argument against my opinion? Since your apparently the arbitrator here, where's your legitimate comparison?
Yeah, it was a crazy as hell argument that deserved to be mocked. Good job.

You want to see a well formed opinion that isn't just a fan trying to hype up their players?
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...-28-thru-july-2.2508739/page-5#post-147527077

I'm not nitpicking anything. I'm just calling BS what it is. Your stated opinion show how baseless they are in any reality, given how desperately you try to reframe statistics or other's opinions over forming an opinion on skating yourself. You know, an opinion that demonstrates any understanding of the thing you claim to have an opinion on? Same with the rest of these people arguing for either of them in the same way

Hughes may well be the better skater. What you and others have proven here is that you sure as hell don't actually know if he is, you just want him to be, lol

Guess what, the reason I didn't claim an opinion here is because I don't have one. I'm not that well versed in the technical side of skating to determine the difference between two high end talents, and I don't pretend to be just because one plays for a team I am a fan of.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad