Quinn Hughes vs. Cale Makar

Who will be better?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Where do people stand on this comparison now? Seems so close to me.

Some stats so far this season:

Cale Makar: 16gp 6g 13a 19pts

Quinn Hughes: 17gp 3g 17a 20pts

Hughes first on his team in scoring and Makar second.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I still think Hughes’s creativity will result in a little higher production in their primes, but this time around I felt good enough about it to homer-vote.

Makar may be a bit of a late bloomer, but god damn does blueline-MacKinnon look sexy.

Reactions: major major

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Considering Hughes is a year younger, I'm not sure how he doesn't run away with this.

Where's the rest of your scouting report? If it was just based on skating and offensive ability, Quinn Hughes could have gone up there with Dahlin. I want to know about the steps he's been taking defensively. I haven't seen him this year, it's an honest question. I can report from having seen Makar live that he is a much improved all around player. He could do better under forecheck, but that's about the only thing I don't love about his game right now.

Reactions: cgf

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
If this poll was "most pretentious name" I would def go "Cale Maker". But then the poll would have had to be Cale Maker v. Barclay Goodrow. ;)

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Pierece Hawthorne a notorious Ava homer said a few days ago he would take Makar over Elias Pettersson, just putting that out there.

:laugh:

Lets see the post then tough guy. What I remember saying is that it's still far too early in any of these guys career to be definitively taking anyone over anyone else. Petersson went 5th overall in 2017 and would still go 4th overall in a re-draft today IMO. Only Patrick has been a disappointment since that draft took place.

Petersson is probably having the best start to his career, but it's not about right now, it's about projecting what kind of players these guys are going to be in 3-4 years from now and Makar/Hischier/Heiskanen and a few others all have the potential to be the best player from that draft.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
You said in a Heiskanen and Pettersson thread that “Heiskanen and Makar are the real gems of the the draft”

Pettersson had one of the best draft +1 seasons in Europe ever and is now having one of the best starts to a rookie NHL season in the past 20 years in the NHL.

I could just as easily say the same thing about Rantanen and someone taken before him in the 2015 draft.

Using draft status to determine something like that is utterly insane.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
You said in a Heiskanen and Pettersson thread that “Heiskanen and Makar are the real gems of the the draft”

Pettersson had one of the best draft +1 seasons in Europe ever and is now having one of the best starts to a rookie NHL season in the past 20 years in the NHL.

I could just as easily say the same thing about Rantanen and someone taken before him in the 2015 draft.

Using draft status to determine something like that is utterly insane.

Makar is not the gem of the draft. You're overrating him by a lot.

Reactions: cgf

DieTomi

Auston "50 Goals" Matthews
Aug 4, 2017
Hamilton
:laugh:

Lets see the post then tough guy. What I remember saying is that it's still far too early in any of these guys career to be definitively taking anyone over anyone else. Petersson went 5th overall in 2017 and would still go 4th overall in a re-draft today IMO. Only Patrick has been a disappointment since that draft took place.

Petersson is probably having the best start to his career, but it's not about right now, it's about projecting what kind of players these guys are going to be in 3-4 years from now and Makar/Hischier/Heiskanen and a few others all have the potential to be the best player from that draft.
oh no bb wat is u doin

Reactions: Literally

tfu92

Nov 8, 2018
its like picking between a ferrari and a lamborghini. both are just so awesome. in the end, i still go hughes by a slight margin.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Hughes better overall/better without the puck at the same age but Makar better skater, and puck skills better with the puck almost like 4th forward. Makar is my pick
Not too sure about that. Hughes is a phenomenal skater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->