Who will be better?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
[mod]

I think so too. But it's only a bit, and that's an important distinction to make. Makar is an elite skater. He's powerful and explosive. It's a razor thin margin, but I guess I can give it to Hughes.

But then you look at the other tools...

Makar has a better shot
Makar has, imo, better stick handling skills
Makar has, imo, a better defensive stick (stick checking, poke checks, etc)
Makar has, imo, better defensive positioning

People in this thread just can't stop talking about points... production is good and wanted but prospects are all about what they potentially can do in the NHL, not how many points they put up before getting there, and so you have to look at the tools that the player has at their disposal, not just their production.

My whole point was Hughes is a better skater. Not that he's better at everything and/or a much better prospect. I think its a very close comparison, both have advantages over the other. I could understand someone going with either guy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Yeah, it was a crazy as hell argument that deserved to be mocked. Good job.

You want to see a well formed opinion that isn't just a fan trying to hype up their players?
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...-28-thru-july-2.2508739/page-5#post-147527077

I'm not nitpicking anything. I'm just calling BS what it is. Your stated opinion show how baseless they are in any reality, given how desperately you try to reframe statistics or other's opinions over forming an opinion on skating yourself. You know, an opinion that demonstrates any understanding of the thing you claim to have an opinion on? Same with the rest of these people arguing for either of them

Hughes may well be the better skater. What you and others have proven here is that you sure as hell don't actually know if he is, you just want him to be, lol

Guess what, the reason I didn't claim an opinion here is because I don't have one. I'm not that well versed in the technical side of skating to determine the difference between two high end talents, and I don't pretend to be just because one plays for a team I am a fan of.

This is nuts.

I watched everything I could of Hughes this year. I watched everything I could of Makar last year. (aswell as what I've seen of him since). My team was in prime position to draft both, my team's management loved both. I already said my opinion well before the 2018 draft was that I thought Hughes was a better skater from what I had seen. And I wanted us to take Dobson over Hughes, he wasn't even my favourite choice at #7.

For me this isn't about wanting something to be a certain way, this has legitimately been my opinion all along. I already said that. This is absurd.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
For what's worth he is Corey Pronman ranking prospects from this years draft class
|
|
Who are the Best skaters: ‌‌‌
  1. Quinn Hughes, D (No. 5)
  2. Liam Foudy, C (No. 47)
  3. Rasmus Kupari, C (No. 12)
  4. Jesse Ylonen, RW (No. 14)
  5. Ryan McLeod, C (No. 26)
  6. Sampo Ranta, LW (No. 52)
  7. Ryan Merkley, D (No. 10)
  8. Noah Dobson, D (No. 20)
  9. Bode Wilde, D (No. 19)
  10. Jakub Lauko, LW (No. 69)
Hughes is one of the best skaters I’ve ever seen at his age. His first step, edges and pivots are incredible. Foudy and Kupari are a tier behind him, and both have jets on their skaters coming through the neutral zone. Jesse Ylonen is not too far behind them for me, as he has the breakaway speed and is very agile on his edges as well. Dobson and Wilde are both very good skaters, especially for big men, as they have the straightaway speed to push the pace. Merkley lacks that high-end top gear, but he walks the blueline as well as anyone.

Reactions: avsfan3737

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
This is nuts.

I watched everything I could of Hughes this year. I watched everything I could of Makar last year. (aswell as what I've seen of him since). My team was in prime position to draft both, my team's management loved both. I already said my opinion well before the 2018 draft was that I thought Hughes was a better skater from what I had seen. And I wanted us to take Dobson over Hughes, he wasn't even my favourite choice at #7.

For me this isn't about wanting something to be a certain way, this has legitimately been my opinion all along. I already said that. This is absurd.
Well that explains how undeveloped your opinion is. /s

You're definitely on the less blatant side of it yourself, but also look at the guy who said "I watch more NCAA hockey so I know what I'm talking about" then proceeded to not actually have an opinion formed of his own.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Well that explains how undeveloped your opinion is. /s

You're definitely on the less blatant side of it yourself, but also look at the guy who said "I watch more NCAA hockey so I know what I'm talking about" then proceeded to not actually have an opinion formed of his own.

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:
As somebody who watches more NCAA than NHL.

"Makar is not a better skater.
Hughes was the best skater in the NCAA this past season."

That was me typing my opinion.
Which apparently was too difficult for you to understand.
Maybe next time I'll write "In my opinion" to make it more clear for you.
:teach:

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

That was me typing my opinion.
Which apparently was too difficult for you to understand.
Maybe next time I'll write "In my opinion" to make it more clear for you.
:teach:
I already gave you a chance to show you had a formed opinion instead of just making claims, and you failed about as spectacularly as one can... by trying to say others agreed with you and throw random statistics.

Color me surprised you ignore that in favor of trying to save your ego here.

Instead of, you know, actually elaborating on your opinion.

Unless you seriously thought that "because reasons" is the sort of opinion someone who claims to have formed it by watching them have. Then that's about as hilarious as it gets

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I already gave you a chance to show you had a formed opinion instead of just making claims, and you failed about as spectacularly as one can... by trying to say others agreed with you and throw random statistics.

Color me surprised you ignore that in favor of trying to save your ego here.

Instead of, you know, actually elaborating on your opinion.

Unless you seriously thought that "because reasons" is the sort of opinion someone who claims to have formed it by watching them have. Then that's about as hilarious as it gets

I'm still waiting for you to write something that doesn't completely embarrasses yourself.

clearly I have waited to long.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
I’m giving the edge to Hughes right now but not by much. But I hate that when people forget how Makar was good in the last U20 tournament with a very limited 7min of ice time still got 8pts in 7 games. Of course in HF it’s always the ’’New shiny toy’’ and that’s probably why alot of people tend to forget how Makar excelled at WJC. For the Hughes IIHF WC part yes he was outstanding for a kid playing against mens and while Makar didn’t play we can’t know how he would’ve done there. A stacked Canada defense(Chabot, Parayko, Nurse, Dunn, Edmundson, Pulock, Ekblad) is hard to get a spot when you’re a 18y/o freshmen from NCAA. While for the US it was kinda easier to get a spot there with Butcher, Pionk, Martinez, Jensen, Murphy, Oesterle and Hughes. It was a great window or opportunity for Hughes and he took it to prove that he can play with mens. It would’ve been a better comparaison if Makar played there too.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Not good enough
No matter how many people say so. Echo needs more evidence. We need more
How to know someone is super upset that they got called out 101, lol. All this whining and moaning and you still are just trying to save face over even considering developing an opinion on either of their skating.

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
When I said "Hughes is the best skater in the NCAA" that was me forming an opinion.

How is that so difficult for you to understand???
Like seriously???

Im just going to ignore this thread, you're literally embarrassing yourself with ignorance.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
How on earth did you decide it was a good idea to take what I said and make the same mistake with other parts of it?

Like I said about the other guy. All you’re doing is forcing comparisons despite tons of confounding variables to try and create any excuse you can find to come to the conclusion you want
So no 2 players could ever be compared? There’s always going to be different variables. Even if players are on the same team there’s always going to be many different variables unless both players are on the ice and off the ice at the same time.

Why do you bother posting in comparison threads at that point if you feel players can’t be compared because of different variables. Just ignore them. People still are always going to compare one player to another. I think most understand there are many variables at play. It’s a matter of coming to their own conclusion while hopefully factoring in those variables

Just because there are different variables doesn’t make a selection incorrect. Is Crosby not better than whoever the top player in the khl is? Or do you feel that because I live in North America there are too many variables to compare and I’m just coming to the conclusion I want?

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
When I said "Hughes is the best skater in the NCAA" that was me forming an opinion.

How is that so difficult for you to understand???
Like seriously???

Im just going to ignore this thread, you're literally embarrassing yourself with ignorance.
Let's go over what actually happened.

You claimed you had a position of authority from watching the NCAA and said one was better.

I asked you, who has a profile history of a Canucks fan, to elaborate on that to demonstrate it was actually an opinion based on watching them as you claimed, rather than just some random claim you thought justified your "opinion". You know, like talk about the why and details of the supposed opinion you claim? The sort of details someone who gained that opinion from watching them would have 100% of the time?

Then you replied with "these people agree with me" and demanded to be proven wrong.

Do I even need to explain how hilarious that is? Especially when a dozen+ responses later you haven't even come close to even attempting that, despite me actively pushing you to show you have an actual opinion repeatedly, lol.

Reactions: singlesliceofcheese

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
So no 2 players could ever be compared? There’s always going to be different variables. Even if players are on the same team there’s always going to be many different variables unless both players are on the ice and off the ice at the same time.
Not even close to what I said. Should I interpret yours as saying literally any comparison is valid? There's a difference between being in the same ballpark and being in different cities

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Not even close to what I said. Should I interpret yours as saying literally any comparison is valid? There's a difference between being in the same ballpark and being in different cities
I’m not saying any comparison is valid. I’m saying people will form their own conclusions in a comparison hopefully factoring in all variables. I think I factored in your one complaint in which Hughes played for a better team which is why he outproduced makar.

My counter argument to that was makar wasn’t even the highest scoring d on his own team. On top of that people that regularly watched Michigan games would say Hughes would be a 1 man team most of the time meaning he was THE driving force for michigan. Even if Umass wasn’t as good they still have to have a driving force whether it be by commity or by one player putting the team on his back. In makars case, no one was saying he was carrying his team

Those 2 factors along with hughes being a year younger makes me believe Hughes is better. You could have a differing opinion but you have yet to state why. You’re fallback is there’s too many variables to compare them so you’re wrong.

I’m not biased in any form. Yea I’m a Canucks fan but I’m not going to just pick one player over the other because they are apart of my favourite team. I wouldn’t say Hughes is better than dahlin or heiskanen etc. I never said Hughes is better than makar by a wide margin. I just said I think Hughes is better currently

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
I’m not saying any comparison is valid. I’m saying people will form their own conclusions in a comparison hopefully factoring in all variables. I think I factored in your one complaint in which Hughes played for a better team which is why he outproduced makar.

My counter argument to that was makar wasn’t even the highest scoring d on his own team. On top of that people that regularly watched Michigan games would say Hughes would be a 1 man team most of the time meaning he was THE driving force for michigan. Even if Umass wasn’t as good they still have to have a driving force whether it be by commity or by one player putting the team on his back. In makars case, no one was saying he was carrying his team
Honestly, it sounds more like you actively looked into one player over the other from that description. And its not even comparable, again. its just "I heard this about one player and didn't hear anything about the other". Like... What? That's so silly

SteelerNation

Oct 23, 2012
Honestly, it sounds more like you actively looked into one player over the other from that description. And its not even comparable, again. its just "I heard this about one player and didn't hear anything about the other". Like... What? That's so silly

Why are you so upset over this thread?

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Hughes better overall/better without the puck at the same age but Makar better skater, and puck skills better with the puck almost like 4th forward. Makar is my pick
In no way shape or form is makar a better skater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad