Quinn Hughes vs. Cale Makar

Who will be better?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

beoser

May 30, 2018
Sorry but as Travis Scott may seem like the biggest homer on these boards, that prestigious title belongs to most Leaf posters.

Reactions: Jarey Curry

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I'm not gonna say one is better then the other as I don't know. However I will say both teams are going to have deadly PP's the next decade and will be fun to watch !! These guys both are amazing skaters and both have great vision and skills to move the puck up ice.

Reactions: Ookhaab

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I dont see how this is a counter argument to a point made about relative strength of the teans compared to each other

Hughes is a big reason why UM is better.

Inb4

" I don't see how you can say that, poor evaluation is the same as no evaluation"

I see you.

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
I like Hughes more. I would have drafted him at 3rd overall if it was my spot. I would have had to been talked outta it by my scouts to have not taken him second... Players that smart and are that good of a skater don't miss.

Reactions: Index

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
So youre not even denying it. Id recommend actually trying to counter his point next time over getting an only vaguely related shot in on him
Counter what point exactly?

He actually ended up agreeing with me that the difference in skating isn’t ‘huge’ like he initially claimed.

That’s why I didn’t respond to the rest of his post.

Unless you want me to provide proof of how I’m not “the [biggest] homer” on these boards? You can go look at my post history, I have nothing to hide.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Counter what point exactly?

He actually ended up agreeing with me that the difference in skating isn’t ‘huge’ like he initially claimed.

That’s why I didn’t respond to the rest of his post.

Unless you want me to provide proof of how I’m not “the [biggest] homer” on these boards? You can go look at my post history, I have nothing to hide.
Its like you dont even pay attention to what you respond to

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Let's just all come together now, united, and pray that every Colorado v Vancouver game involving these two players go to overtime for the duration of their careers.

I think we can all agree on wanting to see that.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Hard to imagine any mortal young defenseman prospect having simply better skating than Makar from what Ive seen. Close to his level or maybe about even but simply better? Quinn Hughes = Connor McDavid now?

Hughes skates so effortlessly. His whole game really revolves around exceptional skating ability, its what sets him apart from highly touted/1st round smaller OFD's of the past IMO. Makar is amazing too but I think Hughes is a bit better and that's been my opinion prior to the draft aswell.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Hughes did more in his draft year and makars draft year. Not only that Hughes outperformed makar in his d+1.

Hughes by a fair bit, the little boy they made team USA.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
It’s like you can’t stop yourself from posting garbage after garbage.
So your response to being told that your response makes no sense is not to re-evaluate and consider maybe you misinterpreted something, but to being petty and aggressive?

Okay

SteelerNation

Oct 23, 2012
Wasn’t Hughes better in his draft eligible season than Makar was in his D+1 season? Pretty obvious. Avs should have taken Petterson over Makar

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I for one consider Makar awfully overrated. His accomplishments aren't at Hughes's level, his tools aren't at Hughes's level. He's older.

Reactions: Deam78

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Makar is the better player.

I know many seem to believe the latest shiny draft pick Hughes, but the choice is not as close as many suggest. Understandably, Makar played in a B-Level league leading to his draft, but he dominated like no other player winning practically every single and team award. His dominance was far greater than Hughes, but the competition might not be comparable to judge.

NCAA. Makar chose UMass which was the worse team in the NCAA, this wasn't even close. Not only was the school hockey system in disarray, many of the players never played together. Couple the problem with playing in the superior Hockey East to Big Ten, scoring stats can be distorted.

WJC U20. Both played at the same time and the only real comparison is they played on similar teams. USA happened to be the better team, but finished poorly. Makar played barely 7 mins per game or nearly 1/3 of Hughes TOI, but still finished in the Top 10 in overall scoring and 1st for all DMen. Outscored Hughes significantly 8 vs 3 and named with Dahlin as the best DMen in the tourney. Tourney highlights reflect how good Makar surrounded by better players.

This is not meant to knock Hughes which is a fine player. Makar is better with skating, power, speed, shot and defence. Hughes is deceptive, smart and quick.

I honestly don't believe the comparison is that close by comparing the stats from playing on an inferior team. This is no different on judging the performance of VAN (Horvat - 9th) vs COL (Mackinnon-1st) drafted in the same year. The differences is substantial 0.81 vs 0.54 PPG, alot of the discrepancies is again the players on the team.

Accept that both are outstanding prospects and their careers are impacted by the teammates.

Reactions: Jarey Curry

ijuka

May 14, 2016
UMass had a bigger improvement in Makar’s first year than Michigan had in Hughes’s, so...
That's only natural if the initial team was worse. Makar might have been a greater improvement over what was there than what Hughes was for his team, but that doesn't mean that he was a greater improvement than Hughes would have been for the same team.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
That's only natural if the initial team was worse. Makar might have been a greater improvement over what was there than what Hughes was for his team, but that doesn't mean that he was a greater improvement than Hughes would have been for the same team.

Yeah, you could make the exact same argument in the other direction too.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yeah, you could make the exact same argument in the other direction too.
That's why it's useful to consider things such as Hughes being a year younger, actually producing better at NCAA, and actually not looking out of place at adult world championships, which is what I prefer doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad