Quinn Hughes vs. Cale Makar

Who will be better?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
It looks like they each have their strengths over one another in the skating department. Hughes with his pivots and edge work and Makar with the acceleration along with his ability to stop on a dime and switch direction.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
They really aren't. No knock on Makar, but Hughes' pivots and edgework are unbelievable.
I'll believe you when Hughes executes his pivots against real defensemen in the NHL like Girard. So no knock on Hughes but hard to imagine him being better skater than Makar.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
The one thing that sticks out to me is that kale my car Played way below the level he should’ve been at in the Alberta junior hockey league leading up to his draft call while Mr. Hughes play it way above his level in the NCAA and still dominated and then on top of that he played better than Cale did in the same season but being a year younger.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I think it's Hughes.

Now, anyone can look at my name and avatar and say, "of course you do", but it's not because we took Hughes. I desperately wanted the Canucks to take Hughes because I think so highly of him as a prospect.

I think Makar is a hell of a prospect as well, and I think the Avs have found themselves a really good offensive defense man. However, I think that in a league where size is beginning to matter less and less, the only advantage that Makar has over Hughes (other than his shot) is his size.

All of this said, I think it's really close and I could actually see either D being better than the other in a given year. Both franchises are lucky to have these guys to look forward to.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I got into an argument with an avs fan tonight over these two.

I am a big makar fan I think he is great, I would have taken him before heiskanen which i know will sound like blasphemy. I had pettersson right behind hischier and then I liked vilardi and after him a grouping of makar, mittlestadt, necas.

But I had hughes rated 3rd on my draft board and believe he is a bit better then makar, the ncaa production in his draft season, his play at worlds against nhl talent, while being younger, his skating and stickhandling put him slightly ahead.

Makar has the better shot, but I would still take hughes slightly. Mine as well put my stake in the ground since I made alot of claims and I know the heiskanen fans wont like the opinion either. And I like heiskanen I just like makars upside more and hughes, even slightly more.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
I got into an argument with an avs fan tonight over these two.

I am a big makar fan I think he is great, I would have taken him before heiskanen which i know will sound like blasphemy. I had pettersson right behind hischier and then I liked vilardi and after him a grouping of makar, mittlestadt, necas.

But I had hughes rated 3rd on my draft board and believe he is a bit better then makar, the ncaa production in his draft season, his play at worlds against nhl talent, while being younger, his skating and stickhandling put him slightly ahead.

Makar has the better shot, but I would still take hughes slightly. Mine as well put my stake in the ground since I made alot of claims and I know the heiskanen fans wont like the opinion either. And I like heiskanen I just like makars upside more and hughes, even slightly more.
I'll give you credit for saying you like Heiskanen less than these two. Unpopular yet worthy opinion cause now it might seem Heiskanen doesnt have a lot of weaknesses compared to these two, and his strengths are at high level. However hockey career is not a sprint but a marathon and guys like Makar and Hughes have tremendous upside with their special talents that its not given Heiskanen would lead this race long.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Makar is the faster more explosive skater while Hughes is the smoother skater. Everyone compares their NCAA seasons, what about the WJC? Makar dominated that tournament. I think Hughes is Girard level and if you ask Avs fans who's going to be better between Girard and Makar the majority will say Makar.

Last edited:

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Makar is the faster more explosive skater while Hughes is the smoother skater. Everyone compares their NCAA seasons, what about the WJC? Makar dominated that tournament. I think Hughes is Girard level and if you ask Avs fans who's going to be better between Girard and Makar the majority will say Makar.

The NCAA is a harder league than the WJC. Cale was an entire year older than Quinn. And the WJC is like 6 games lol.

DieTomi

Auston "50 Goals" Matthews
Aug 4, 2017
Hamilton
Makar is the faster more explosive skater while Hughes is the smoother skater.
Disagree completely. Hughes is faster, more explosive, and smoother on his feet.
Everyone compares their NCAA seasons, what about the WJC? Makar dominated that tournament.
First off, NCAA is miles ahead of WJC level. Second, Makar dominated the PP, he didn't dominate the tournament. Timmins was the better defenseman night in and night out while Makar was only used in an offensive role. Makar is also a full year older than Hughes. I don't know how this can be used as a comparison.
I think Hughes is Girard level and if you ask Avs fans who's going to be better between Girard and Makar the majority will say Makar.
LOL

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Disagree completely. Hughes is faster, more explosive, and smoother on his feet.

First off, NCAA is miles ahead of WJC level. Second, Makar dominated the PP, he didn't dominate the tournament. Timmins was the better defenseman night in and night out while Makar was only used in an offensive role. Makar is also a full year older than Hughes. I don't know how this can be used as a comparison.

LOL
What you don't like being compared to a 19 year old top 4 defenseman in the NHL? Hughes won't make the NHL at 19 I'll tell you that. You should watch Girard play sometimes, judging by this comment you've never seen him play.

DieTomi

Auston "50 Goals" Matthews
Aug 4, 2017
Hamilton
What you don't like being compared to a 19 year old top 4 defenseman in the NHL? Hughes won't make the NHL at 19 I'll tell you that. You should watch Girard play sometimes, judging by this comment you've never seen him play.
Girard is a very good defenseman and I love the way he plays. I just think Hughes is already better than him.

thelittlecoon

ELIAS PETTERSSON
Jun 19, 2017
Vancouver
Hughes will be in the NHL at 19 – either at the end of his college season this year for a few games, or starting the 2019-20 season. Scouts and analysts were all saying he could play in the NHL right away after his showing at the World Championships. He probably would have if we didn't have such a logjam on D.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Hughes will be in the NHL at 19 – either at the end of his college season this year for a few games, or starting the 2019-20 season. Scouts and analysts were all saying he could play in the NHL right away after his showing at the World Championships. He probably would have if we didn't have such a logjam on D.
Logjam on D on a bottom 10 team? Girard stuck around the #1 Defensive core in the NHL in Nashville.

thelittlecoon

ELIAS PETTERSSON
Jun 19, 2017
Vancouver
Logjam on D on a bottom 10 team? Girard stuck around the #1 Defensive core in the NHL in Nashville.
He wasn't going to get big minutes playing in the NHL like he will playing in NCAA in one of the most important years of his development. Just like Girard after he went back to juniors for a year, Hughes can go back and be a fixture in Vancouver's blueline at the age of 19.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
It’s probably hard to see it through your homer goggles.
Right, with all your compelling arguments and reasons, it must be that I’m a “homer” that makes your opinion not universal

That must be it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad