Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Canucks pull even with the Avalanche in the standings....and Hughes with a two point night is now one point back of Makar. He's been good for the Av's all right, but Hughes has been better.

He's doing something every night to individually change the outcome of games for the Canucks.....only 20 years old. A true franchise-changing d-man. The other teams who drafted six players ahead of him in the first round must be feeling a little queasy. Finally, the Canucks catch a serious break in the 2018 draft.
Imagine when he takes the lead in rookie scoring

the salt would be unimaginable

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

Nucks for the Cup

Jul 28, 2011
Vancouver
I don't know what it was but that goal yesterday was like the nail in the coffin for me. I knew Hughes was looking like he will be a franchise dmen for us for years to come but that goal. The skill, the poise, the shot filled me with so much hope and excitement he's gonna be a top 5 dmen in the league within a couple years and that is something we have never truly had and these dark years are behind us for the foreseeable future with him and Pettersson.

Reactions: I am toxic

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
This kid is something else. I don't want to get too far ahead of things or jinx anything here but Hughes could be our first real legitimate #1 and Norris level Dman which we've never had. What he's doing right now at only 20 is nothing short of amazing. I can't wait to see what he's doing at 26yrs old. Exciting times for sure.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
Obviously both Buffalo and Carolina both made the correct and easy picks as Dahlin and Svechnikov are absolute franchise players.

Montreal is the real f***-up here with reaching for Kotkaniemi.

Kotkaniemi has 42 points in 115 career games while Hughes has 39 points in 55 career games.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Obviously both Buffalo and Carolina both made the correct and easy picks as Dahlin and Svechnikov are absolute franchise players.

Montreal is the real ****-up here with reaching for Kotkaniemi.

Kotkaniemi has 42 points in 115 career games while Hughes has 39 points in 55 career games.
Yeah but defensemen take longer to develop their potential so theres that

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Teams are really regretting on passing up Quinn Hughes. He almost put of a point a game in the NCAA during his draft year as an underager D-men...

Looking back now, it was almost a no brainer that he would dominate the NHL.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011

Montreal is the real ****-up here with reaching for Kotkaniemi.

Not disagreeing as Hughes has been phenomenal and clearly better, but MTL also seems to have majorly screwed up Kotka's development. Went from looking like a soon to be 1st line centre and at 6'2 that's something MTL has lusted after for many years to... whatever he is this season.

Reactions: Neddam ot Sehguh

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Not disagreeing as Hughes has been phenomenal and clearly better, but MTL also seems to have majorly screwed up Kotka's development. Went from looking like a soon to be 1st line centre and at 6'2 that's something MTL has lusted after for many years to... whatever he is this season.

Habs are really bad at developing prospects. Reason why I think caufield will bust.

Reactions: Neddam ot Sehguh

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Habs and Coyotes committed the classic draft mistake of drafting for 'position', rather than the BPA. Kotkaniemi and Hayton will probably end up being useful NHL players, but clearly they were drafted because both teams were in desperate need of centers. And neither will ever have the star power of Hughes.

Let's face it, he fell into the Canucks' laps because teams were concerned about how his size would translate on an NHL blueline. Even on draft day, Brian Burke proclaimed "this is a small player, folks".

But in today's NHL talent is all that matters.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Habs and Coyotes committed the classic draft mistake of drafting for 'position', rather than the BPA. Kotkaniemi and Hayton will probably end up being useful NHL players, but clearly they were drafted because both teams were in desperate need of centers. And neither will ever have the star power of Hughes.

Let's face it, he fell into the Canucks' laps because teams were concerned about how his size would translate on an NHL blueline. Even on draft day, Brian Burke proclaimed "this is a small player, folks".

But in today's NHL talent is all that matters.

Yup. Just like the Canucks with Juolevi in 2016. Always draft BPA. Always.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Yup. Just like the Canucks with Juolevi in 2016. Always draft BPA. Always.

Juolevi hasnt worked out but he was not a reach at #5 especially the way he dominated that season and at the WJC. There were many lists and scouts that had Juolevi as the BPA at that spot. There were tonnes of concerns about Tkachuk's skating.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Juolevi hasnt worked out but he was not a reach at #5 especially the way he dominated that season and at the WJC. There were many lists and scouts that had Juolevi as the BPA at that spot. There were tonnes of concerns about Tkachuk's skating.

He wasn't a reach, but he wasn't the BPA either.

Reactions: LaVal

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Hughes is crazy good, that’s obvious. But, I’d like him to do a Pronger and intentionally take a suspension. He needs to put fear into forcheckers that he might (at any time) snap.

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018

there were lists that had him that high because they heard teams liked him that high, all the major media draft lists aren't the actual opinion of the person writing them, its what they're being told the NHL likes, which is why Bob McKenzie currently has Kaiden Guhle and Jake Sanderson in his top 12, in THIS draft, of all drafts, I mean........c'mon, they're not fooling anyone

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
there were lists that had him that high because they heard teams liked him that high, all the major media draft lists aren't the actual opinion of the person writing them, its what they're being told the NHL likes, which is why Bob McKenzie currently has Kaiden Guhle and Jake Sanderson in his top 12, in THIS draft, of all drafts, I mean........c'mon, they're not fooling anyone

This is why it's stupid to average out the rankings posted online and place great value in the results of that average.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad