WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The Staal brothers did it.

Eric (2nd overall)
Jordan (2nd overall)
Marc (12th overall)
Ah! Thanks. I knew I forgot someone!
I guess if they all go top 10 that would be a new record. Just saw that Button has Luke ranked 8th overall so a lot will depend on how he plays pre draft.
Pretty damn impressive for Eric and Jordan to both go second overall!

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Lol!....I remember when the 'book' on Quinn Hughes was that he might struggle with the physicality of NHL forwards, and that his shot was 'average' to 'below average'. So much for that.

The thing that still shocks me is how wiry kids like Pettersson and Hughes can rifle the puck......I don't know if it's the composite sticks, or whether it's just years of refining their shooting technique. But imo Hughes is shooting the puck a lot harder now than he was at even the start of the season.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
  1. He’s so calm and determined. If he’s not among the top three yet, he will be soon.
  2. What a score!!

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
I recall back to before his draft saying to myself that if we were going to have any hope of competing in the following years we were going to have to crush that draft - just like we had done with the EP one. I also had in mind that we needed to come away with a 1 or 2 d man. AS of this point I'm pretty confident in saying we did that. First game back from the all star break he had a few miscues but since then he's picked it up and is playing with such poise and confidence. He does things out there that show an EXTREME amount of faith in his abilities. We are soooo lucky to have him. He's already in my mind the BEST Canucks D man to ever tie up the laces. He's a truly great player. With him and EP leading the charge I have renewed hope that we might actually get to experience a cup in our lifetimes........something we could all agree wasn't nearly as plausible even a season ago.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I agree, judge prospects for the skills they possess and their production

Teams do this anyway. The reason consensus is important is that it’s a snapshot of public opinion at the time. It’s a marker or a gauge. It shows where scouts take clear chances, and in the case of Juolevi, where they get burned by taking those chances.

No one thought Juolevi was better than Tkachuk. No one. That’s as clear a miss as it gets, then and now.

——

As for Hughes, my one comparable would have been Boqvist. I thought he might be just as good. So far, that’s not looking likely. Hughes has shattered all reasonable expectations.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I haven't gotten to watch many actual games this year, but there's something to be said for the huge impact on the team's fortunes that he's brought. Obviously some of that is internal improvement from certain guys (probably Markström above all, and possibly Pettersson in subtle ways), but there is something to be said for an impact defenseman changing the face of a blueline.

Right before his goal against San Jose, if you watch the NBC highlights, the commentator says "look at the skating... look at the goal!" He's referring to this nifty pivot:

wV5P38.gif

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I haven't gotten to watch many actual games this year, but there's something to be said for the huge impact on the team's fortunes that he's brought. Obviously some of that is internal improvement from certain guys (probably Markström above all, and possibly Pettersson in subtle ways), but there is something to be said for an impact defenseman changing the face of a blueline.

Right before his goal against San Jose, if you watch the NBC highlights, the commentator says "look at the skating... look at the goal!" He's referring to this nifty pivot:

wV5P38.gif

Damn you! I have spent the last several minutes hypnotized watching that looping over and over again instead of doing the dishes.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Lol!....I remember when the 'book' on Quinn Hughes was that he might struggle with the physicality of NHL forwards, and that his shot was 'average' to 'below average'. So much for that.

The thing that still shocks me is how wiry kids like Pettersson and Hughes can rifle the puck......I don't know if it's the composite sticks, or whether it's just years of refining their shooting technique. But imo Hughes is shooting the puck a lot harder now than he was at even the start of the season.
Maybe Pettersson has given him a couple of pointers. Petey broke down his own shot into 12 things to refine. That must be for all types of shots though.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I wonder how much of Hughes' success can be attributed to being paired with Tanev. You'd think with most other partners, he'd likely spend more time defending and have less points as a result.

It's a fairly similar pairing to the Rielly - Tanev pairing at the WC a few years back when they weren't on the ice for a goal against all tournament.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I wonder how much of Hughes' success can be attributed to being paired with Tanev. You'd think with most other partners, he'd likely spend more time defending and have less points as a result.

It's a fairly similar pairing to the Rielly - Tanev pairing at the WC a few years back when they weren't on the ice for a goal against all tournament.

I don't know. I have him with about twice as many points playing with Myers in half the ice time. But basically all of his 5v5 goals have come with Tanev, so that's interesting.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Here is a hypothetical I posted to Twitter – if Quinn Hughes played identically to how he has to date, and with an identical impact on the team's fortunes (both in how the team plays and the actual results), but just happened to be 6'3"... would he then be characterized as a "tantalizing but frustrating player who doesn't fully use his size"?

I feel that Hockey Men™ are unable to get past a large player not being physical enough even where he's otherwise effective rather than focusing exclusively on results (see: how Tryamkin was handled, or any number of power forwards). But if it was accompanied by a lot of offensive output, which is not often the case, would they calm down and appreciate that the guy is really good? Someone raised Dougie Hamilton fitting this mold as an example.

Reactions: Bleach Clean

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Here is a hypothetical I posted to Twitter – if Quinn Hughes played identically to how he has to date, and with an identical impact on the team's fortunes (both in how the team plays and the actual results), but just happened to be 6'3"... would he then be characterized as a "tantalizing but frustrating player who doesn't fully use his size"?

I feel that Hockey Men™ are unable to get past a large player not being physical enough even where he's otherwise effective rather than focusing exclusively on results (see: how Tryamkin was handled, or any number of power forwards). But if it was accompanied by a lot of offensive output, which is not often the case, would they calm down and appreciate that the guy is really good? Someone raised Dougie Hamilton fitting this mold as an example.

Before I even finished reading your post, Dougie Hamilton popped into my head right away. Hamilton is beloved in Carolina and I really haven't seen any gripes with him not being more physical on their board. As long as he is leading the charge on the backend, there isn't much to complain about - he was in talks for the Norris, how could you be upset with his play?

I think the days of a bigger player NEEDING to be physical is going away rather quick, actually. If you can be an effective player without it, should anyone really care? Besides, being uber-physical takes a toll on a players body. Dishing out hits can typical take a bigger chunk out of yourself rather than the actual player being hit.

The NHL regular season isn't even that physical, it's pretty passive play for the most part.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Before I even finished reading your post, Dougie Hamilton popped into my head right away. Hamilton is beloved in Carolina and I really haven't seen any gripes with him not being more physical on their board. As long as he is leading the charge on the backend, there isn't much to complain about - he was in talks for the Norris, how could you be upset with his play?

I think the days of a bigger player NEEDING to be physical is going away rather quick, actually. If you can be an effective player without it, should anyone really care? Besides, being uber-physical takes a toll on a players body. Dishing out hits can typical take a bigger chunk out of yourself rather than the actual player being hit.

The NHL regular season isn't even that physical, it's pretty passive play for the most part.
There’s so little time and opportunity to be physical now. If you go out of your way to lay someone out, you run the very real risk of putting yourself out of position and coughing up a scoring chance. That’s why someone like M Tkachuk is so valuable. He can hit regularly and still be effective. Hopefully Pod works out the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad