Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
And don't look now, but with Kubalik getting 7 points in his last 3 games, the 3-way race for rookie of the year is now a 4-way race. Hughes, Ololfsson, Makar and Kubalik, all within a few points of each other.

I didn't see that coming at the beginning of the season. Thought it would be a 4 way race between Kakko, the two Hughes bros, and Makar.

I really don't see how the two rookie forwards scoring at a similar (or lesser) pace to the two rookie defencemen are at all a threat for the calder.

That would be like saying a player like Pearson (with more points than either Kubalik or Olofsson) is more valuable to the Canucks than Quinn Hughes.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
And don't look now, but with Kubalik getting 7 points in his last 3 games, the 3-way race for rookie of the year is now a 4-way race. Hughes, Ololfsson, Makar and Kubalik, all within a few points of each other.

I didn't see that coming at the beginning of the season. Thought it would be a 4 way race between Kakko, the two Hughes bros, and Makar.
As much as I love Hughes, Makar would win in a landslide for the Calder right now.

Just be happy we have him and hopefully can surround him and EP with some talent along their same level.

Reactions: Makar27

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Such a terrific player. It’s blowing my mind how good, how fast he has been. His skating is absolutely gorgeous to watch, too. So slick on his skates.
Yep...said on 'After Hours' that he and his brothers hit every outdoor rink in Metro TO growing up. You can see it in the skating, where kids spend hours just twirling on the natural ice. Totally unstructured and plain old fun. But wow, do those kind of kids learn early how to use their edges and refine their spin moves.

Said it before and got dissed, but will say it again....the best pure skater the Canucks have ever drafted.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
but, but....."that's a small body gentlemen, a small body"....

Not sure why you're trying to bring this up as if it wasn't a completely reasonable point of criticism on a prospect. He's still undersized for a d-man.

Now, if you said something like, he "doesn't have vision", or "his skills won't translate", those are things that were ridiculous then and even more-so now.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Not sure why you're trying to bring this up as if it wasn't a completely reasonable point of criticism on a prospect. He's still undersized for a d-man.

Now, if you said something like, he "doesn't have vision", or "his skills won't translate", those are things that were ridiculous then and even more-so now.
He most definitely is small, no argument from me....Its just a really funny Brian Burke soundbite from the 2018 draft

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006

Dayal and Drance trolling two fan bases(Buffalo&Colorado) at the same time with FACTS and STATS.

I’m loving it :laugh:

Reading the calder thread on the main board.... those Avs fans sure feel threatened by Hughes, they cannot even stand Hughes being mentioned in the same sentence as Makar, when the reality is they are equally impressive in their own way.

Reactions: Indiana

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Reading the calder thread on the main board.... those Avs fans sure feel threatened by Hughes, they cannot even stand Hughes being mentioned in the same sentence as Makar, when the reality is they are equally impressive in their own way.

The age gap brings them close IMO. If you are talking about who has been better THIS year, it is Makar for me.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
The NHL should honestly "redo" the 2018 draft because the Canucks "Stole" him! Hughes is the best pick for where we drafted him. The kid is amazing. A complete joy to watch for any hockey fan.
Scoring Hughes, Pettersson and Boeser, has made these past "putrid, 8 years", much more bearable.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
The NHL should honestly "redo" the 2018 draft because the Canucks "Stole" him! Hughes is the best pick for where we drafted him. The kid is amazing. A complete joy to watch for any hockey fan.
Scoring Hughes, Pettersson and Boeser, has made these past "putrid, 8 years", much more bearable.

Makes up for the Nucks taking Juolevi over Segachev, McCavoy, Chychrun, etc.

Reactions: Indiana

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
The age gap brings them close IMO. If you are talking about who has been better THIS year, it is Makar for me.
Makar is better, he scores more, he scores 5on5 more. but Hughes has more impact on the game defensively, on breakouts, on keeping the puck in etc.... I think next year he will be better than Makar is this year. but this year. yes, he deserves the Calder so far.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
People need to remember that Makar has an additional year of development over Hughes. What Hughes is doing as a 20-year-old rookie defenseman is unprecedented in the modern NHL.

Reactions: rotiman187

dombrova22

Apr 12, 2017
As much as I love Hughes, Makar would win in a landslide for the Calder right now.

Just be happy we have him and hopefully can surround him and EP with some talent along their same level.
I think people are debating the Hughes/Makar for calder so badly that everyone is looking passed the one person who may just beat both of them. Samsonov in Washington is having himself an absolutely AMAZING first year.

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
People need to remember that Makar has an additional year of development over Hughes. What Hughes is doing as a 20-year-old rookie defenseman is unprecedented in the modern NHL.

Makar is better, he scores more, he scores 5on5 more. but Hughes has more impact on the game defensively, on breakouts, on keeping the puck in etc.... I think next year he will be better than Makar is this year. but this year. yes, he deserves the Calder so far.

Put Hughes on the avs and they’d be in a race for top of the central.

As a neutral, IMHO I also think Makar will win the Calder....BUT if Hughes ekes it out I think it will be for this reason: Makar has a better roster/D corps surrounding him than Hughes. Hughes has been expected to do more with less. So if their stats are fairly similar by the end of the regular season, who knows...? [Of course, if both teams make the playoffs, those who get to vote on the Calder might look at playoff success to sway their vote - not that they're supposed to!]

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I think people are debating the Hughes/Makar for calder so badly that everyone is looking passed the one person who may just beat both of them. Samsonov in Washington is having himself an absolutely AMAZING first year.
But is Reirden going to stop playing Holtby? Two of the three I.S. have arrived, and they are all amazing.... however if I have to pick a Calder winner, I will go with the player that will play in 82 games vs the one who will play in 55 each year...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Let's face it, unless there's a true 'generational talent' at the top of the rankings, the top-10 of any draft is almost a crap-shoot.

In 2017 Hischier and Patrick were 1-2 in the draft rankings all season. But the best player in that draft period, is Elias Pettersson. And in 2018 Rasmus Dahlin was supposed to be a potential Norris winner down the road. He's been good, although has fallen off a bit in his sophomore season. But the way the NHL game is being played now, you could argue that Quinn Hughes is just a better d-man. And might turn out more valuable than the first overall pick that year.

And in 2019 Jack Hughes and Kakko were 1-2 in the draft board all year. But I'm sensing that somebody like Dach, Cozens or even Podkolzin might have a more impact career down the road.

The life of a scout assessing the top-10 of any draft isn't an easy job.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Who cares really? I’m just happy to have Hughes, both he and Makar are great young dmen. Both fanbases trying to convince the rest of HF on who’s better or deserves the Calder seems pointless. Just sit back and enjoy watching Hughes play hockey.

It’s not like I can post some stats and some Avs fans will say “you know what? You’ve convinced me that Hughes has been more impactful than Makar has”

Reactions: Dave Lister and WTG

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Who cares really? I’m just happy to have Hughes, both he and Makar are great young dmen. Both fanbases trying to convince the rest of HF on who’s better or deserves the Calder seems pointless. Just sit back and enjoy watching Hughes play hockey.

It’s not like I can post some stats and some Avs fans will say “you know what? You’ve convinced me that Hughes has been more impactful than Makar has”

If Vancouver had Makar, then they wouldn't have THIS ⬇️
Download-Image.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->