Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
pretty good thread in prospect section analysing the 2018 draft and how hughes fell based on this athletic article. it would appear we had hughes 3rd and we got him at 7th because the teams ahead of us other than detroit each had their own unique favourites available.

habs were on kotka
sens were on tkachuk
yotes had hayton 3rd before tkachuk
wings had bouchard and dobson ahead of hughes so they were never taking him.

sounds like canucks had hayton after hughes

'That was a home run': The inside story of how Quinn Hughes...

What happened at the top of the 2018 draft

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
pretty good thread in prospect section analysing the 2018 draft and how hughes fell based on this athletic article. it would appear we had hughes 3rd and we got him at 7th because the teams ahead of us other than detroit each had their own unique favourites available.

habs were on kotka
sens were on tkachuk
yotes had hayton 3rd before tkachuk
wings had bouchard and dobson ahead of hughes so they were never taking him.

sounds like canucks had hayton after hughes

'That was a home run': The inside story of how Quinn Hughes...

What happened at the top of the 2018 draft

That was a fantastic story from Harman Dayal.

Hughes was 3rd on my personal board (good scouting! :sarcasm:). I was over the moon he was available at 7. And he's more than exceeded expectations.

Finally, the true franchise defenseman this team has needed.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
People need to remember that Makar has an additional year of development over Hughes. What Hughes is doing as a 20-year-old rookie defenseman is unprecedented in the modern NHL.
Well dahlin was 18 and scored over 40p on a bad team.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Well dahlin was 18 and scored over 40p on a bad team.
Dahlin is still the best defenceman of the 2018 draft IMO.

But the pipeline of guys who have suddenly came through like him, Makar, Hughes, its pretty incredible. This is potentially 3 PPG dmen joining the league in just 2 years. When has there ever been that many in such a short period?

Hughes is going to get big money on his next contract

Reactions: I am toxic

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
it’s next to meaningless but i’m still tickled that quinn led the all-star game in scoring (tied w pasta, drai, and tkachuk)

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

But the pipeline of guys who have suddenly came through like him, Makar, Hughes, its pretty incredible. This is potentially 3 PPG dmen joining the league in just 2 years. When has there ever been that many in such a short period?

Makar was drafted 2017 #4

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

It may be just the dreaded 'sophomore slump' but Dahlin isn't having a fraction of the impact for the Sabres that Quinn Hughes is having for the Canucks. So Dahlin may still be the best d-man in the 2018 draft--but not this year.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
It may be just the dreaded 'sophomore slump' but Dahlin isn't having a fraction of the impact for the Sabres that Quinn Hughes is having for the Canucks. So Dahlin may still be the best d-man in the 2018 draft--but not this year.
I need to watch Dahlin longer to say QH passed him, coming into this year, my concern with QH is that he is too small to play all situations, I'm genuinely surprised Green just played the heck out of him Torts style. I have no problem annointing QH a #1D in his rookie year now. But Dahlin has the potential to dominate on all aspects night in night out, and is 1 year younger. I believe he is just slumping, his ceiling is still a tier above Hughes. Right now its a triumvirate situation when it comes to next gen PPQB, and a five horse race when it comes to all purpose #1D with Heiskanen/Chabot.

Reactions: I am toxic

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Canucks record for most points in a season by a defenseman is held by Doug Lidster in 1986-87 where he scored 62 points (he never scored over 40 points in any other season), where he was 7th in NHL dman scoring.

Not great for a team that's coming up on its 50th season.

But Hark! Young Quinn is on pace for 57 points as a rookie! Finally Vancouver has offense from the defense!

Reactions: WonderTwinsUnite

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Yes Hughes is a phenom, but how lucky was JB that 6 other teams were stupid? It’s more like Hughes fell into J.b’s Lao then he was some genius.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
yeah but he entered the league this year with Hughes, just like Dahlin did last year, that's a two year span
Dahlin is not as impactful as Hughes or Makar. In fact, imo, Heisksnen is better than ?Dahlin. I’d say .dahlin is behind ?Hughes, ?Makar, and Heiskanen. There is something seriously wrong in ?Buffalo.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks pull even with the Avalanche in the standings....and Hughes with a two point night is now one point back of Makar. He's been good for the Av's all right, but Hughes has been better.

He's doing something every night to individually change the outcome of games for the Canucks.....only 20 years old. A true franchise-changing d-man. The other teams who drafted six players ahead of him in the first round must be feeling a little queasy. Finally, the Canucks catch a serious break in the 2018 draft.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Dahlin is not as impactful as Hughes or Makar. In fact, imo, Heisksnen is better than ?Dahlin. I’d say .dahlin is behind ?Hughes, ?Makar, and Heiskanen. There is something seriously wrong in ?Buffalo.

I don't think anyone has to worry about a 19 year old dman on pace for 55 points and is considered to be having a "down year."

Dahlin will be just fine in a couple years. He's younger than hughes/makar/heiskanen. Even if his defensive game never really develops and he "only" becomes a 65 point a year offensive dman, that's certainly nothing to sneeze at as Vancouver has never had a 65 point dman in its 50 year history...

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Canucks pull even with the Avalanche in the standings....and Hughes with a two point night is now one point back of Makar. He's been good for the Av's all right, but Hughes has been better.

He's doing something every night to individually change the outcome of games for the Canucks.....only 20 years old. A true franchise-changing d-man. The other teams who drafted six players ahead of him in the first round must be feeling a little queasy. Finally, the Canucks catch a serious break in the 2018 draft.
All true, but does .j.b get credit, or do the other six teams missing on ?Hughes get crap?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I don't think anyone has to worry about a 19 year old dman on pace for 55 points and is considered to be having a "down year."

Dahlin will be just fine in a couple years. He's younger than hughes/makar/heiskanen. Even if his defensive game never really develops and he "only" becomes a 65 point a year offensive dman, that's certainly nothing to sneeze at as Vancouver has never had a 65 point dman in its 50 year history...
I totally agree, but clearly ?Hughes is the more impactful player.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Kid is unreal. He would be more effective in a traditional 2 Dman PP setup as he’s so good along the boards and has elite playmaking ability, with the current setup his only options are to pass it to EP & Boeser or Shoot. Hughes is Elite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad