Prospect Info: Quinn Hughes, Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
I think Quinn pushes the puck like no one currently. He controls the game with the puck on his stick differently from even EK. Again, no one is going to be Harvey or Orr, but the next generation of D men (who play this Quinn Hughes style) will be compared back to him. I see teams changing their forecheck because of Hughes. Getting in too aggressively on him will cost teams odd man rushes. Harvey and Orr did exactly this. Teams had to be very cautious to not get caught, so they gave space, which allowed Harvey and Orr to control the pace of play even more. This is what Quinn does too.
Just stop with this crap. Hughes is a great prospect, but stop with this BS

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Lemme just amend the thread title to read "Quinn 'Generational' Hughes" and invite posters from the other 30 boards to come in here and laugh-- I mean gaze upon the very obviously Ozymandian might of Quinn Hughes

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
The word ‘generational’ has lost all its meaning by its overuse and abuse. Hughes isn’t even close to it, and I love this kid.

Sometimes I think like I’m the one who has lost it, and all the others are the normal and sane.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I think Quinn pushes the puck like no one currently. He controls the game with the puck on his stick differently from even EK. Again, no one is going to be Harvey or Orr, but the next generation of D men (who play this Quinn Hughes style) will be compared back to him. I see teams changing their forecheck because of Hughes. Getting in too aggressively on him will cost teams odd man rushes. Harvey and Orr did exactly this. Teams had to be very cautious to not get caught, so they gave space, which allowed Harvey and Orr to control the pace of play even more. This is what Quinn does too.

But it doesn’t change how defenders play the game. If you can’t skate like Hughes guess what? You can’t play like him. It’s like saying McDavid is changing *how* forwards are playing the game. No he’s not, he’s just better at it than anyone else.

Not to mention Hughes hasn’t played a single NHL game. Who knows if he’ll even play the same way against better, faster competition. I love the kid myself - he’s my favourite Canuck prospect right now - but you’re absolutely insane with your expectation of this kid. Expecting a potential Scott Neidermayer is a lofty but at least grounded-in-reality expectation. Expecting him to change the game like Bobby Orr is straight up looney tunes.

Reactions: Catbug

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Lemme just amend the thread title to read "Quinn 'Generational' Hughes" and invite posters from the other 30 boards to come in here and laugh-- I mean gaze upon the very obviously Ozymandian might of Quinn Hughes
Nahhh theres nothing yet saying he will be generational. I know its probably sarcasm but for our fan bases sake maybe hold off on it

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
But it doesn’t change how defenders play the game. If you can’t skate like Hughes guess what? You can’t play like him. It’s like saying McDavid is changing *how* forwards are playing the game. No he’s not, he’s just better at it than anyone else.

Not to mention Hughes hasn’t played a single NHL game. Who knows if he’ll even play the same way against better, faster competition. I love the kid myself - he’s my favourite Canuck prospect right now - but you’re absolutely insane with your expectation of this kid. Expecting a potential Scott Neidermayer is a lofty but at least grounded-in-reality expectation. Expecting him to change the game like Bobby Orr is straight up looney tunes.

Well yes and no. Was Scott Stevens a game changer? He was certainly the gold standard for a while and many tried to mimic the way he plays. Is Erik Karlsson a game changer in the way Bobby Orr was? No, but Karlsson brought back a style that wasn't in fashion for over a decade and many players certainly mimic the way he plays.

Young players will pattern their game after NHL players who are currently successful. It doesn't matter if they can't do it the same way due to the fact they lack that NHL player's talent. "Style of play" has nothing to do with abilities. You can play like Patrice Bergeron without being projected as an NHL player.

I don't think Hughes is a game changer. But if ends up being a superstar in this league, there will be plenty of players who pattern their game after him.

Reactions: Nomobo

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Well yes and no. Was Scott Stevens a game changer? He was certainly the gold standard for a while and many tried to mimic the way he plays. Is Erik Karlsson a game changer in the way Bobby Orr was? No, but Karlsson brought back a style that wasn't in fashion for over a decade and many players certainly mimic the way he plays.

Young players will pattern their game after NHL players who are currently successful. It doesn't matter if they can't do it the same way due to the fact they lack that NHL player's talent. "Style of play" has nothing to do with abilities. You can play like Patrice Bergeron without being projected as an NHL player.

I don't think Hughes is a game changer. But if ends up being a superstar in this league, there will be plenty of players who pattern their game after him.

You’re playing loose with the “generational” label that was the source of this discussion. Bobby Orr changed how the position of defense was viewed in the scheme of the game. Scott Stevens was a highly desired player. Players like Scott Stevens (but maybe not as good) had existed before him. Players like Erik Karlsson existed before him.

Quinn Hughes will not redefine the game or revolutionize his position. Statements such as those are absurd. Saying Quinn Hughes may be one of the top defensemen of his generation is ambitious but ultimately not absurd. If you want to say kids will grow up wanting to play like Quinn Hughes, sure I think that’s fair. Kids will always grow up trying to play like Crosby, McDavid, Karlsson, etc. But the earlier discussion was a significant step beyond that.

Reactions: Grantham

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018
I just watched a handful of YouTube videos and I'm pretty excited to see how Hughes does this year, especially with Vancouver hosting the WJC. Hopefully he signs and makes his debut later in the year and they don't try to change his game any.

People here seem to be arguing about how good of a prospect he is, why not just be excited by the fact the Canucks appear to have drafted a very unique and entertaining player and enjoy the ride?

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I just watched a handful of YouTube videos and I'm pretty excited to see how Hughes does this year, especially with Vancouver hosting the WJC. Hopefully he signs and makes his debut later in the year and they don't try to change his game any.

People here seem to be arguing about how good of a prospect he is, why not just be excited by the fact the Canucks appear to have drafted a very unique and entertaining player and enjoy the ride?

Why can't we do both?

Reactions: Josepho

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Why don’t you do that and we’ll do this?

Do what you want, let others do what they want.

Seems simple enough.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Tangent: Would Dobson be your favourite Canuck prospect right now if he was chosen instead?

Hughes was the prospect I wanted, but the hype train for him has been rather ridiculous IMO.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Tangent: Would Dobson be your favourite Canuck prospect right now if he was chosen instead?

Hughes was the prospect I wanted, but the hype train for him has been rather ridiculous IMO.

Honestly I can’t say. I liked Dobson and doubtless I still would had we drafted him. At the same time I viewed Hughes and Boqvist as “fun” prospects but fraught with an added level of risk that made me reluctant to make them my #1 preference. I also thought Hughes was unlikely to be our choice (either he’d go before 7 or we’d pass on a 5’10 defender for a 6’2-6’3 one) so I didn’t get to focussed on him. Now that he’s a Canuck and no longer a “guilty pleasure” pick, he’s quickly made up for lost time. His offensive dominance at the WJC SS also didn’t hurt.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Honestly I can’t say. I liked Dobson and doubtless I still would had we drafted him. At the same time I viewed Hughes and Boqvist as “fun” prospects but fraught with an added level of risk that made me reluctant to make them my #1 preference. I also thought Hughes was unlikely to be our choice (either he’d go before 7 or we’d pass on a 5’10 defender for a 6’2-6’3 one) so I didn’t get to focussed on him. Now that he’s a Canuck and no longer a “guilty pleasure” pick, he’s quickly made up for lost time. His offensive dominance at the WJC SS also didn’t hurt.

I think the WJC and SS inflated his stock to ludicrous levels. He's still the same player to me, then and now. If he turns in a masterful performance during his D+1 year, then I'll be buying into the hype. Until then, not much has changed since the draft for me.

Recency bias is running rampant. He's still every bit the risk he was prior to the draft. Pettersson is still a level above for me.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I think the WJC and SS inflated his stock to ludicrous levels. He's still the same player to me, then and now. If he turns in a masterful performance during his D+1 year, then I'll be buying into the hype. Until then, not much has changed since the draft for me.

Recency bias is running rampant. He's still every bit the risk he was prior to the draft. Pettersson is still a level above for me.

Well he’s my fave prospect but I’m refraining from calling him generational or comparing him to Bobby Orr :cool:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Well he’s my fave prospect but I’m refraining from calling him generational or comparing him to Bobby Orr :cool:
You like him more than Pettersson?? Thats cool, Im higher on Peetey boy but love em both :yo:

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
yeah, intriguing prospect. I think he has exceptional skating and vision. His size may limit his future. Expect he will be a top pairing offensive d-man useful on the power play ... but would be surprised if he failed to have a good NHL career.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think the more reasonable question to ask is:

"People here seem to be bothered by the conflict/tension involved when people argue and scrutinize things in general and react to that as if it were unsavory behavior. Why not just realize that argument and criticism about virtually anything is a healthy activity that promotes thought/reason, that there is no need to discourage and avoid it, and every need/desire to promote and engage it?"

Last edited:

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I think the more reasonable question to ask is:

"People here seem to be bothered by the conflict/tension involved when people argue and scrutinize things in general and react to that as if it were unsavory behavior. Why not just realize that argument and criticism about virtually anything is a healthy activity that promotes thought/reason, that there is no need to discourage and avoid it, and every need/desire to promote and engage it?"
That would be ideal..
But then someone goes hyperbollic in one direction causing a hyperbollic counter reaction turning the whole discussion into a unreadable/unbearable shit show.

Reactions: PassLikeA10YrOldBoy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad