Prospect Info: Quinn Hughes, Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Been watching his shift by shift videos on youtube

This kid needs a lot of work in his own end if he wants to play a regular shift. With enough time and space he's generally fine, it's a big reason why he shines on the PP but morphs into Bartkowski with some pressure on him. He also really doesn't like being hit. From his blueline out he's essentially a 4th forward and really crafty with the puck, very good at fooling guys by looking off his passes and turns.

I want to like this pick but am not sold, especially with the hype he's been given. Hopefully he takes some steps forward this year.
I've watched them too and did so leading up to the draft.
By way of response what I will point out is that Quinn Hughes is superlative at his strengths. So walking the blue line, being evasive on the breakout when he has the puck under control, etc.

These strengths are basically world class already and so they enticed the coaches and management of Michigan and the U.S. world championships teams to bring him onto the teams.
However, not all of his game is up to those levels yet, and so you saw some exposure there. It's okay, playing a level up is good for his development. He's clearly a quick learner. Can you imagine how he would have torn the OHL apart?

forty47seven

May 2, 2009
Not exactly, the few instances I noted were when he had to retrieve a loose puck but with a checker not far behind. There were a few times his attempts at skating it out ended up in turnovers though

Here's a good example of this from the summer showcase:

He's so dead set on beating the Canadian checker with his skating, he passes up multiple chances to make a simple play to his D partner in the process. After trying a few cuts to shake his check, he circles back in the zone and tries a cheeky little backhand pass in the slot resulting in a turnover. To his credit, he does end up getting the puck back immediately after.

Hughes earns that "one man breakout machine" moniker to a fault at times. It's something Farkas points out in his videos as well.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I personally didn't see any issues with his defensive game. Sure he is more of the less aggressive dmans, who often like to keep the guys on the outside type, ( I play this style, because I don't want to get deked out) maybe he thinks way too, his defending style (without the puck) is more leave the guy to his outside, and go for the opportunity to strip and steal pucks type of dman. Of course he needs to add strength too, or else he be ragged dolled at the NHL next season.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011

He's so dead set on beating the Canadian checker with his skating, he passes up multiple chances to make a simple play to his D partner in the process. After trying a few cuts to shake his check, he circles back in the zone and tries a cheeky little backhand pass in the slot resulting in a turnover. To his credit, he does end up getting the puck back immediately after.

Hughes earns that "one man breakout machine" moniker to a fault at times. It's something Farkas points out in his videos as well.

Agreed. I will say other than his shot which is fairly weak I love him in the offensive zone, he should be able to create enough havoc at the next level to open up Pettersson and Boeser for their shots

Another good example of what I’m harping on is this game

He has a rough 1st period which show cases some of the weaknesses but to his credit still managed an assist

Reactions: forty47seven

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Agreed. I will say other than his shot which is fairly weak I love him in the offensive zone, he should be able to create enough havoc at the next level to open up Pettersson and Boeser for their shots

He has a rough 1st period which show cases some of the weaknesses but to his credit still managed an assist

His weaknesses are definitely there. But they are more fixable than otherwise. Also, his outlet pass is great when he doesn't skate it out. Not to mention, his shot is great in this clip. Who cares if it doesn't have power? He gets it through and that's all that matters IMO.

elwin316

Jun 4, 2009

At 0:58 of that video does he shove his own teammate on purpose? It might just be an accident or maybe he thought his teammate was an opponent, either way it's a weird sequence.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
At 0:58 of that video does he shove his own teammate on purpose? It might just be an accident or maybe he thought his teammate was an opponent, either way it's a weird sequence.
Doubt it. Same team

MisfortuneCookie

Replace Benning with a potato.
Jan 25, 2018

This play is absolutely brutal. His partner must be cursing under his breath. He's really acting like a puck-hog. So many prime opportunities to easily slide it over to his partner. Instead he decides he's elite enough to go solo, and ends up giving it away right in the slot for a potential scoring chance on his *third* attempt to skate it out of his zone under a heavy forecheck all by himself. Not impressed with his play in his own zone. He's great in the offensive end, and he's great at coming back and breaking things up in the neutral zone, but if this is how he tries to transition the puck out, it's something that has to be corrected.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I'm not worried about Hughes defensive game. I've seen him play for a few years now and he can play a simple game, but that isn't how he plays. He uses his skating and elite passing ability to break out, he made a couple mistakes but I've seen McDavid make mistakes at the same age. Even if #19 on Canada got the puck from Hughes, he's not going anywhere, Hughes is right on him anyways and he has 3 Americans close to him.

These are not Luca Sbisa pizzas in the slot, he tried to make a good break out pass to Tkachuk but it got knocked down. The risk wasn't high there at all considering the # of Americans around and Hughes also right infront of #19.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

It also brings the offense to a complete halt.
It kills the transition.
It kill all speed the team may have going.

How does a team break out with speed? Passing the puck up the ice is the primary way... not skating it.

He'll learn to pick his spots tho. I expect. I hope.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I have to think he’s smart enough to know some of his game play cannot be used, as it will not work, against world class NHL players. He will need to simplify some aspects of his game, but I do suspect that will be simple because he is generally good at everything.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's been barely over a month since the 2018 draft, and one thing is already obvious...there's no way Quinn Hughes should have been available to the Canucks at #7. Other than Buffalo, there's going to be a lot of second-guessing from 2-6, no matter how those prospects turn out.

But then the jury's very much out on whether Elias Pettersson will eclipse guys like Nolan Patrick and Nico Hishier who were at the top of the 2017 draft. In all probability, he will. Sometimes you just have to get lucky.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
quinn.png

carrotshirt

Jan 1, 2009
Any reports on his game so far? Just tuned in and see team White is getting tuned up. 9 - 4 for Blue.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Any reports on his game so far? Just tuned in and see team White is getting tuned up. 9 - 4 for Blue.
watched about 5 mins and gave up. In those 5 mins: Take the all star game, take away 50% of intensity (that wasn't much to begin with) and add a complete ban on contact.

Reactions: Pyromaniac
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad