Prospect Info: Quinn Hughes, Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Most teams have a prospect like lockwood in their system. A third year player producing ppg is an often occurence. Motte and Gaudette both produced higher than lockwood clip during their jr years. He's not even our top 6-7 prospect. We overrate our prospects sometimes...Lockwood is worth about a late second round pick.
I agree we are brutal for overrating our prospects but I think the opposite is true with Lockwood. I think his stats are underselling him at the moment. Where would his numbers be if he wasn’t always injured? Why do all his coaches love his game? He looked great on the junior team until the injury. I think he will break out soon if he can protect those shoulders.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I agree we are brutal for overrating our prospects but I think the opposite is true with Lockwood. I think his stats are underselling him at the moment. Where would his numbers be if he wasn’t always injured? Why do all his coaches love his game? He looked great on the junior team until the injury. I think he will break out soon if he can protect those shoulders.

He is arguably our best two-way forward prospect. His defensive game stood out to me during the WJC last year before he got injured. I haven't gotten a chance to see Madden play yet, though.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
He is arguably our best two-way forward prospect. His defensive game stood out to me during the WJC last year before he got injured. I haven't gotten a chance to see Madden play yet, though.
Agreed, he has a pretty high floor imo. Impossible to predict his ceiling as he hasn’t stayed healthy enough to get a read on him offensively

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012

I'm not sure if that is really saying much. Our best forward prospects are Dahlen, Lind, MacEwen, Gadjovich, Madden and Lockwood. Dahlen, Lind, MacEwen and Gadjovich are not known for their defensive play, so its basically him and Madden. Both are decent but not upper tier prospects.

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Some of these moves won't work at the NHL level, but his assets will certainly make him a valuable player once he learns what he can and can't get away with. His speed and skating will be a breath of fresh air, and his offensive ability will make our forwards better.

Reactions: THE Green Man

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Part 2:

Mike Gillis said that if you can add a player on the back end with speed, it changes the entire dynamic of the team. Hughes is going to be a critical piece for the Canucks, it's likely that most of Canucks breakouts will flow through him.

He said when they acquired erhoff it changed the entire team. He was a huge driver of offense. Flying up on the rush.

I’m salivating at the thought of Hughes flying up behind Petterson and joining the rush .

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Some of these moves won't work at the NHL level, but his assets will certainly make him a valuable player once he learns what he can and can't get away with. His speed and skating will be a breath of fresh air, and his offensive ability will make our forwards better.

For sure. Much of this will definitely not be able to be done at the NHL level, but his skating ability and edgework will always be such a valuable part of his game that even if he CAN'T do all of this "fancy" 1 on 1 stuff.

Just being able to keep up with fast NHL players already makes him better than our entire D corps because they get walked like my dog on a game by game basis

Reactions: y2kcanucks

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
Just being able to keep up with fast NHL players already makes him better than our entire D corps because they get walked like my dog on a game by game basis

Agreed, as long as he's strong enough on his skates/stick to be able to do something with them when he catches them. Some of the larger NHL forwards are going to be able to throw him aside like a child's toy, so he's going to need exceptional balance and good timing to compensate.

Reactions: Diamonddog01

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Part 2:

Mike Gillis said that if you can add a player on the back end with speed, it changes the entire dynamic of the team. Hughes is going to be a critical piece for the Canucks, it's likely that most of Canucks breakouts will flow through him.

I'm not really too concerned with what Mike Gillis said, but I think from the day he was drafted, suffice it to say everyone was pretty excited about Hughes.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
For sure. Much of this will definitely not be able to be done at the NHL level, but his skating ability and edgework will always be such a valuable part of his game that even if he CAN'T do all of this "fancy" 1 on 1 stuff.

Don't forget that when you are so much better than your peers at a certain level you are consistently able to do what you are not able to do at a higher level when you are not. It's like what is said about pretty much every good defensive prospect ever. He will do what he can do in the NHL and the base line of skills looks pretty good.

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
Some pretty exciting plays. I wonder how much time it is going to take him to adjust to the NHL.

I do think have him and Elias will give us two players who can open the ice significantly for their team mates, making players like goldobin useful

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Part 2:

He was damn right because when he added Ehrhoff, it propelled the Sedins to Art Ross winners from point per game guys. Have we kept Ehrhoff I believe the both Sedins were due for at least 2 more 85 point plus seasons.

truth. due to the speed of NHL players and the reduced ice size. As much as I like those clips, I know it wont be as easy pulling that off at the NHL.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

farshi

Feb 28, 2012
He was damn right because when he added Ehrhoff, it propelled the Sedins to Art Ross winners from point per game guys. Have we kept Ehrhoff I believe the both Sedins were due for at least 2 more 85 point plus seasons.

truth. due to the speed of NHL players and the reduced ice size. As much as I like those clips, I know it wont be as easy pulling that off at the NHL.
Don't NCAA teams play on the same size ice?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Part 2:

Before the "dead puck era" you pretty much need a #1 puck rushing Dman and a shutdown Dman to win the Cup. When the Hurricanes won the Cup it suggested that you don't need to even have first pairing Dman. Then there were the Ducks. The Penguins won Cups not necessary with a #1 Dman but with a PP point producer on the backend. Heck we almost won the Cup without a traditional #1 Dman. Still, I think having a gamebreaker on D like Hughes can potentially change the dynamic of things. With Pettersson and Horvat looking like a great 1-2 punch for years to come, if Hughes can be that dynamic Dman he is projected to be, it's going to help the Canucks become contenders down the line.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Before the "dead puck era" you pretty much need a #1 puck rushing Dman and a shutdown Dman to win the Cup. When the Hurricanes won the Cup it suggested that you don't need to even have first pairing Dman. Then there were the Ducks. The Penguins won Cups not necessary with a #1 Dman but with a PP point producer on the backend. Heck we almost won the Cup without a traditional #1 Dman. Still, I think having a gamebreaker on D like Hughes can potentially change the dynamic of things. With Pettersson and Horvat looking like a great 1-2 punch for years to come, if Hughes can be that dynamic Dman he is projected to be, it's going to help the Canucks become contenders down the line.
Not disagreeing with your argument, but the Pens had Letang, a Norris caliber #1. Ducks of course had one of the greatest ever in Scott N.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Agreed, I think he’ll be better than Lind. He’s a terrific prospect.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
For people who are members of the athletic you got to check out the most recent article on Quinn,

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
I think Hughes is going to step right in at the end of the year as a second pairing defenseman. He showed well at the World Championship against NHLers. Might be some adjustment required regarding the kind of risks he takes, but I think he's pretty close to ready. That's why I think he's such an exciting prospect. Super high ceiling and he's already close to NHL ready if not there already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad