Prospect Info: Quinn Hughes, Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
On November 12th they were ranked 16th with a 5-4-0 record, they just beat Penn State (5th ranked team in the nation who were 8-1-0 going into that game) 6-4.

Michigan is in no shape and form a "bad" team. They can easily get their act together and be competitive, they certainly aren't favorites though. If I were a betting man, I'd bet on St. Cloud.

After the Penn state series they are going into 2 Unranked teams to close out November. If they sweep Penn State they are going to jump up in the rankings.

I still dont think they have the Goaltending needed to be a top top team in the nation.

However, would it be such a bad thing if Hughes went deep into NCAA tourny...then signed with Canucks after the Canuck season is finished. Play in the Worlds and then begin his Canuck career in the fall of 2019.

Why are we soo eager to sign him and play him in a handful of meaningless games at the end of the season and burn a year of his ELC.

I know the blue-print worked for Boeser and Gaudette but it might be more different for a Dman. They tend to develop later so i think there would be a benefit of having an extra year with him when hes 28 rather than at 20.

But my selfish side also wants to see him donning the green and blue asap as well !!

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Yes he would have had to fast track his schooling...he's 17?
There was speculation of course and Michigan would have been happy.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I still dont think they have the Goaltending needed to be a top top team in the nation.

However, would it be such a bad thing if Hughes went deep into NCAA tourny...then signed with Canucks after the Canuck season is finished. Play in the Worlds and then begin his Canuck career in the fall of 2019.

Why are we soo eager to sign him and play him in a handful of meaningless games at the end of the season and burn a year of his ELC.

I know the blue-print worked for Boeser and Gaudette but it might be more different for a Dman. They tend to develop later so i think there would be a benefit of having an extra year with him when hes 28 rather than at 20.

But my selfish side also wants to see him donning the green and blue asap as well !!

Not for a top 10 pick.
Most top 10 defensemen play within the first 2 years of being drafted IIRC.

Don't mind burning a year off Hughes contract as long as he plays for the team next year. If the team burns a year off his contract and he starts in the AHL or overseas next year that would be an issue. But considering we currently have Gudbranson/MDZ/Pouliot on the back end this year as starters. If Hughes can't crack that lineup, well that's a bigger issue then burning a year.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Yes he would have had to fast track his schooling...he's 17?
There was speculation of course and Michigan would have been happy.
It's been done before alright but there's no real evidence that I ever saw that he was ever on that track, it takes some long term planning. Craig Simpson actually went to Michigan State at 16 back in the day.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Not for a top 10 pick.
Most top 10 defensemen play within the first 2 years of being drafted IIRC.

Not talking about playing.

Im talking about getting the extra year later rather than now.

You want Quinn Hughes from age
19-30 or 20-31

Looks insignificant but were cutting one of his ELC short from poaaibly 82 games to maybe what ..10?

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Not talking about playing.

Im talking about getting the extra year later rather than now.

You want Quinn Hughes from age
19-30 or 20-31

Looks insignificant but were cutting one of his ELC short from poaaibly 82 games to maybe what ..10?

Caught me before the ninja edit there.

Again, I don't mind burning a year if he at least plays for the Canucks next year, it would basically be the same as him playing in the AHL this year only to come up and play at the end of the season. I don't think it's really that big of a deal to burn a year. Bigger issues are big signings this team has made that are looking really bad now and worse in the future.

If Hughes is really as good as we think he will be we'll be paying him what he's worth 1 year sooner then we should.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Caught me before the ninja edit there.

Again, I don't mind burning a year if he at least plays for the Canucks next year, it would basically be the same as him playing in the AHL this year only to come up and play at the end of the season. I don't think it's really that big of a deal to burn a year. Bigger issues are big signings this team has made that are looking really bad now and worse in the future.

I dont see any signings that will anchor us by the time our core is all out of their ELCs.

Boeser Horvat Pettersson Hughes Juolevi Virtanen Demko Dahlen

Also cap is going up.. how can we even.know what signings will be disastrous

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
I dont see any signings that will anchor us by the time our core is all out of their ELCs.

Boeser Horvat Pettersson Hughes Juolevi Virtanen Demko Dahlen

Also cap is going up.. how can we even.know what signings will be disastrous
Not the thread to talk about contracts other then Hughes, my bad for bringing it up.
1 year of a increase cap hit for a player worth his money. That's not really an issue.

If Hughes is as good as we think he will be, he'll be signed long term coming out of the contract anyway.

Reactions: Peen

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver

For me its a purely selfish desire of watching him play on the Canucks and nothing else, but it could give him a more directed notion of what he needs to work on in the summer.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
Me too. If there was any concerns about him potentially staying another year in Michigan, I think we can put those concerns to rest. The team isn't good this season and might be even worse next year if Josh Norris goes pro, which he probably should. This is a sinking ship and I don't see Hughes wanting to be part of it next season.

Edit: Lockwood might also want to strongly consider going pro after this season if he continues his PPG pace.

Lockwood is now in his third NCAA year and will turn 21 in June. My take is that he signs with the Canucks when his current
hockey season is finished. The Canucks are looking for speed and he has that in spades, plus he is said to be a very responsible
and mature character. Signing along with his friend Hughes could be a bonus for him and a good PR move for the Canucks
re other current and future NCAA draftees.

Burning an ELC year is now the done thing to sweeten the pot for NCAA guys, kind of a roundabout signing bonus, so whether it's
good or bad is irrelevant. It's just there. So I agree both Hughes and Lockwood will sign in the spring. Hughes's difficult decision was
whether to turn pro this season or next. His brother's situation is irrelevant except for holy balls yeah right if anyone thinks for a
nanosecond that Quinn will still be hauling his book bag to class while young Jack is hitting on fast blondes at the Roxy.

Reactions: timw33 and PRNuck

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Nice, puts him in company with Cale Makar and Adam Fox production wise. Would like to see him stay with those guys.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Out of 79 eligible NCAA goaltenders
Hayden Lavinge
GAA: 75th
SV%: 78th
Strauss Mann
GAA: 65th
SV%: 63rd

I didn't watch the game but I know they scored 2 goals on their first 3 shots.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Every time we drafted an above average college prospect
There is always some ridiculous rumours about how they will finish college and hit FA.
Yet it had only happened once recently, a 7th round no body prospect....

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Every time we drafted an above average college prospect
There is always some ridiculous rumours about how they will finish college and hit FA.
Yet it had only happened once recently, a 7th round no body prospect....

Is there rumors Quinn would stay in university?
None of them would be legitimate seeing as it is 3 years away.

it does happen around the league though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad