Prospect Info: Quinn Hughes, Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
he needs a decent slapper i think. without a credible slap shot you are not fully effective on the point. for example, pouliot is very offensive minded but relatively ineffective at the nhl level and especially on the pp in our current system, because the defending forwards can cheat to cover the pass.

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
HAS there been report s on him working on his slap shot? Other than defensive concerns I have about him over an 82 game season, I think he’s missing that booming slap shot you see from the best power play defensemen. While he could still be very effective with his skating and vision he’s shown I’m not sure how often his quick snap/wrist shot is going to work on NHL caliber goalies.

Disagree. See Lidstrom, Nicklas

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014

Lidstrom's slapshot was half of his offensive game, it was one of his best qualities. Hard, accurate, he could get it off from almost any position. For all his vision and smarts he would not have been nearly as effective without it.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
Trying to contain getting too jacked up about Hughes, Petterson and Boeser on the same pp, with Horvat as the net-front presence. But damn it is hard not to get just a little pumped. They might be unstoppable.
Hughes plays a very aggressive skating style of PP QB. On Michigan he’s not afraid to rotate with his forwards and it opens up a lot of space because it can be confusing to defend. That’s one thing with our PP it can be a little static. Hughes will bring a dynamic element of unpredictability and its gonna be sick.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
wb9z44.jpg

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Just listened to Jason Spezza on 31 Thoughts podcast.
Spezza referenced Klingberg using more of a snap shot and talked about Karlsson specializing in well placed wrister.

Exactly. It would be nice if Juolevi and Hughes are capable of unleashing big bombs from the point, but I don't think it's a necessary requirement. Brian Campbell at his best was very good. With Hughes if you back off him because he doesn't have a big point shot he's just going to skate the puck in.

Reactions: Peen

CanuckCity

Aug 23, 2012
Budapest
Yah the threat of leaving hughes uncovered wont be a booming one-timer, it will be him taking the puck straight to the net himself.

I see a lot of Josi in how they like to traverse the zone causing confusion and opening passing lanes or opportunities to take it to the net.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls

why is this an ongoing theme in the organization

Aside from the groin thing, my take from this clip is what a smart, nice guy this kid is.
He exudes a quiet warmth and wit that will blend very well with our new-wave guys like Boeser and Pettersson, and help the cohesiveness of the whole group, given that he'll likely become a star player.

Sadly, however, with those three guys leading the team, the Uber drivers are only going to get new segments of Mr. Rogers' Neighbourhood to put up on youtube :(

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
8 points in 8 games. Picks up an apple on a nice play. Skating is just effortless.

Watching him skate is like..... he just sort of glides around the ice. Shades of Niedermeyer in his skating ability wow

Can't wait to watch him run our PP next year feeding EP and Boeser!!

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Can you imagine Pettersson stopping up on a dime along the wall and finding Hughes entering the zone late? How would you stop it?

Reactions: Canucks1096
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad