Prospect Info: Quinn Hughes, Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
HAS there been report s on him working on his slap shot? Other than defensive concerns I have about him over an 82 game season, I think he’s missing that booming slap shot you see from the best power play defensemen. While he could still be very effective with his skating and vision he’s shown I’m not sure how often his quick snap/wrist shot is going to work on NHL caliber goalies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Also, let’s not forget that Benning is a “generational drafter.”
Brock Boeser last season (Calder runner up),and EP this season (its his to lose)....and what is Quinn Hughes going to be like?..Benning seems to be hitting home run after home run.

With all of the media hype on EP (coupled with other core players)...I would say that Bennings job is a lot safer than it was 3 months ago..Not good news at all for the negs....

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
HAS there been report s on him working on his slap shot? Other than defensive concerns I have about him over an 82 game season, I think he’s missing that booming slap shot you see from the best power play defensemen. While he could still be very effective with his skating and vision he’s shown I’m not sure how often his quick snap/wrist shot is going to work on NHL caliber goalies.
Morgan Reilly doesn’t have a good slap shot, he seems to be fine

TheOtherGM

Jan 8, 2007
Morgan Reilly doesn’t have a good slap shot, he seems to be fine

Agree and disagree.

It does change a penalty killing unit's mindset when a big shot is at the point and that creates opportunities for others on the power play.
But is it necessary for individual success? I don't think so.
I've seen lots of players with cannons who murdered shin pads and the boards/glass behind the net.
And I've seen lots of players with an uncanny knack for getting the puck through traffic with a strong wrist/snap shot. In today's NHL, where most goals are scored off rebounds and junk within 15 feet of the crease, the guy who can get the puck through every time he shoots might be the more valuable asset.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Brock Boeser last season (Calder runner up),and EP this season (its his to lose)....and what is Quinn Hughes going to be like?..Benning seems to be hitting home run after home run.

With all of the media hype on EP (coupled with other core players)...I would say that Bennings job is a lot safer than it was 3 months ago..Not good news at all for the negs....

Yeah, the team looks fantastic.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Can't wait to see him in the NHL next season, he is also one of those players that you hold your breath when he has the puck because you know he will do something exciting.

Canucks have an excellent young core in Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, Juolevi, and Demko that will be leading Canucks for the next decade. If we can get one more top 3 pick, I would consider this rebuild done, just insulate the line-up with high quality UFAs with the open cap space and start competing for the playoffs.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
His shot was the weakest part of his game last year. I have noticed he’s shooting more this year. I think he’ll favour a wrister over a slapper as he develops.

He plays stylistically differently from most d when he’s on the point. He’s always moving, and not afraid to deke and carry the puck down low. He’s like a playmaker back there, not really a cannon. If he does develop his shot, I think we’ve got a home run on our hands, but we’ll have to see next training cap.

TheOtherGM

Jan 8, 2007
His shot was the weakest part of his game last year. I have noticed he’s shooting more this year. I think he’ll favour a wrister over a slapper as he develops.

He plays stylistically differently from most d when he’s on the point. He’s always moving, and not afraid to deke and carry the puck down low. He’s like a playmaker back there, not really a cannon. If he does develop his shot, I think we’ve got a home run on our hands, but we’ll have to see next training cap.

And really, the big bombs on the power play are going to be Elias in the right circle and Brock in the left.
If Quinn can keep the D honest with some sneaky wristers and has even a half-decent slap shot it'll work just fine.

Reactions: THE Green Man

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
And really, the big bombs on the power play are going to be Elias in the right circle and Brock in the left.
If Quinn can keep the D honest with some sneaky wristers and has even a half-decent slap shot it'll work just fine.

Honestly, having a big slap shot bomb isn't that important.... it's way more important that you can get your shot off quickly (and get it through traffic).

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver

Big time agree on that. He's a smart kid. He thinks the game well. He's got great control of the puck once he gets it, and he'll come to understand that he can control where the puck goes way better with a well placed wrist shot rather than a slapper. I think at this point we're seeing him trying to develop his shot, but once he eases into a career in the NHL he'll get a better idea of what is going to work to his advantage in terms of quarterbacking the play from the blue line.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Honestly, having a big slap shot bomb isn't that important.... it's way more important that you can get your shot off quickly (and get it through traffic).

Watch highlights of Denis Potvin in his prime running islanders PP I don't think he had a slapshot but a deadly accurate quick release wrist shot and he scored a lot with it.
Quinn can do similar he has 2 guys to feed who will have goalies worried for years.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Watch highlights of Denis Potvin in his prime running islanders PP I don't think he had a slapshot but a deadly accurate quick release wrist shot and he scored a lot with it.
Quinn can do similar he has 2 guys to feed who will have goalies worried for years.

If only Quinn is shooting on the same toothpick goalies that Potvin was shooting on.

TheOtherGM

Jan 8, 2007
If only Quinn is shooting on the same toothpick goalies that Potvin was shooting on.

But who is blasting slap shots past any goalie this days?
Their pads are smaller this season, but they're still a big breed compared to the 1980s guys.

Ripping a clean slapper past a goalie is a rarity and usually involves a screen in the goal-mouth. You're just as likely to score on a well placed wrister these days as you are to bag one on a bomb from the point. Either way, you're also looking to create rebounds, and a low accurate wrister is better for that purpose than a slapper around the goalie's ears.
I think Quinn's best value will come from gaining the zone and distributing the puck to Brock on the left and Elias on the right. The kid is going to pick up a lot of primary assists that way.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Their pads are smaller this season, but they're still a big breed compared to the 1980s guys.

Ripping a clean slapper past a goalie is a rarity and usually involves a screen in the goal-mouth. You're just as likely to score on a well placed wrister these days as you are to bag one on a bomb from the point. Either way, you're also looking to create rebounds, and a low accurate wrister is better for that purpose than a slapper around the goalie's ears.
I think Quinn's best value will come from gaining the zone and distributing the puck to Brock on the left and Elias on the right. The kid is going to pick up a lot of primary assists that way.

Top PP Dmen all have Bombs!

Burns
Subban
Karlsson
Hedman
Carlson
Klingberg
Doughty

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Can't wait to see him in the NHL next season, he is also one of those players that you hold your breath when he has the puck because you know he will do something exciting.

Canucks have an excellent young core in Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, Juolevi, and Demko that will be leading Canucks for the next decade. If we can get one more top 3 pick, I would consider this rebuild done, just insulate the line-up with high quality UFAs with the open cap space and start competing for the playoffs.

I have a feeling that if his collegiate season comes to an end while the NHL season is still ongoing, we will see him in a Canuck uniform at the end of this year. Similar to what Boeser did.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
It does feel like all the top d-men have big shots. Which ones don't have big shots and have still gone on to put up big offensive seasons?

Tori Krug and Morgan reily is a couple i can think of but i dont consider either an elite PP QB.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
The game has changed, a one timer works from the half circle but rarely defencemen score with a bomb from the point. There's too much traffic now, it's more productive to put in a well aimed wrister on the net.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

yep just like the Toews goal last night and most of Brent Burns and Erik Karlssons snapper goals/assists on the PP.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Trying to contain getting too jacked up about Hughes, Petterson and Boeser on the same pp, with Horvat as the net-front presence. But damn it is hard not to get just a little pumped. They might be unstoppable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad