Quinn Hughes Predictions

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
i don’t want to be a downer but our last two star rookies both got squished like bugs and suffered significant injuries. quinn hughes is by far the smallest of the three.

given the way things have gone i don’t have high hopes that he’ll just skate around and be able to do whatever he wants out there and score 50 points.

Significant injuries? What?

6 got hurt on an awkward play that sent his spine into the side of an open bench door and 40 had 0 concussion symptoms the day after the Matheson hit and only missed a few games when his leg got tangled up with Kotkaniemi. That’s what I remember. No significant injuries resulting from being undersized at all

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I'm taking a guess here as no one knows but if given PP1 time right away and 15-18 minutes a night right away he could break 40 points. Now factor in we have a decent top 6 now so we should be average scoring at worst now he could break 60 points if he really does break out. That would be the absolute dream scenario but with a PP1 of Elias, Boeser, Horvat,Hughes and Myers I can see great things. I'd be very happy with 40 points from Hughes though but anything under 30 I'd be disappointed.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
I’d be disappointed with anything under 60 points
I can't tell if you're being facetious -- you'd be disappointed with anything less than the best rookie points from a d-man since 1992? Maybe pump the brakes

upload_2019-9-11_6-4-42.png

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I expect ~25 points. The bulk will come on the PP and before the 50 game mark. He hits a wall the back half of the season and has some 5-on-5 struggles.

I want to put some predictions into perspective....

Expecting a 40 point season is a top 30 producer from the blueline.

It likely means he is getting 20 or more points on the PP. That is a top 10 producer on the PP from the blueline.

It also requires a 20ish EV points. That is a top 60 producer from the blueline.

So basically such predictions are putting Hughes into the upper echelon of offensive blueliners in his rookie season.

Heiskanen had a phenomenal rookie season playing 23+ minutes a night in all situations. He had 33 points.

Pump the brakes a bit folks.

Last edited:
Reactions: daddyohsix

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Significant injuries? What?

6 got hurt on an awkward play that sent his spine into the side of an open bench door and 40 had 0 concussion symptoms the day after the Matheson hit and only missed a few games when his leg got tangled up with Kotkaniemi. That’s what I remember. No significant injuries resulting from being undersized at all

i guess the definition of serious is a semantics argument, which of course i am not interested in debating with you, quinnvey

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017

i guess the definition of serious is a semantics argument, which of course i am not interested in debating with you, quinnvey

You claimed that there is a trend of our young players getting squashed like bugs and getting seriously injured as a result of being undersized... except...

Boeser wasn’t undersized and his injury could’ve happened to anyone.. it was a freak play.. it simply cannot be used as evidence of the trend you’re claiming.

Pettersson had ZERO concussion symptoms the day after the Matheson hit so no it’s not a serious injury in any sense of the word and also cannot be used as evidence. No need to debate semantics.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
I can't tell if you're being facetious -- you'd be disappointed with anything less than the best rookie points from a d-man since 1992? Maybe pump the brakes

View attachment 253941

Well I’m still on the “Quinn is a generational talent” bandwagon. If you pro-rate his analytics from his first 5 NHL games he will create almost 500 carried zone exits which will lead to a lot of points if he’s out there with Boeser and Pettersson. Hughes is also entering a different NHL than 1992-2015 which was largely an era of low scoring. I think the new NHL will be higher scoring. If you look at Quinn’s micro stats they are absolutely generational and they all lead to points. So yes 60 points is the minimum I would expect from someone with his skill set. Werenski scores 50 in his rookie year so why can’t Quinn score 60?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
no, i said if our bigger star prospects got squished like bugs (and obviously missed games) then let's temper our expectations for this tiny guy

as you were

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wouldn't that be something if Quinn Hughes were to win the Calder?....back to back Calder Trophy winners for one NHL team has only happened twice since the Calder Trophy was first awarded. According to my reading of the Award's history, the last time it happened was 1953-1954 when Gump Worsley and Camille Henry went hack-to-back with the New York Rangers in the old six team NHL.

So basically it's never happened in the modern NHL era. And probably wouldn't ever happen again with the draft so lopsided in favor of lottery teams.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Am I the only one worried about his defensive game?

I’m concerned about his ability to be a top minute defender at the NHL level.

Sure, the offense is there but in order to log big minutes he’s gonna need a solid defensive game.

I feel like there’s a lot of work to do in that area still, and given his size he will need to work harder than other young defenders do in order to get there.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I expect ~25 points. The bulk will come on the PP and before the 50 game mark. He hits a wall the back half of the season and has some 5-on-5 struggles.

I want to put some predictions into perspective....

Expecting a 40 point season is a top 30 producer from the blueline.

It likely means he is getting 20 or more points on the PP. That is a top 10 producer on the PP from the blueline.

It also requires a 20ish EV points. That is a top 60 producer from the blueline.

So basically such predictions are putting Hughes into the upper echelon of offensive blueliners in his rookie season.

Heiskanen had a phenomenal rookie season playing 23+ minutes a night in all situations. He had 33 points.

Pump the brakes a bit folks.

I'm not one to usually expect a ton out of our prospects, but I think anywhere under 30 points would be a disappointment and expect in the 30-40 points. 40-50 points would be great.

Heiskanen is definitely the better defensemen, and was definitely the better prospect entering his rookie season. But this is because Heiskanen is a far better defensive defenseman than Hughes while still being a good offensive defensemen. Hughes, in my opinion, is coming into this season as a better offensive defenseman than Heiskanen did, so I don't think it is unreasonable to expect his production to be around or above Heiskanen's rookie season production.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016

Sure, the offense is there but in order to log big minutes he’s gonna need a solid defensive game.

I feel like there’s a lot of work to do in that area still, and given his size he will need to work harder than other young defenders do in order to get there.

No because he is not bad defensively

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

His effortless skating is what makes eating mins relatively easier for him in college

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
We still have Edler so I'm going to halve my expectations for his production, since there's no reason to believe Edler won't be force-fed PP1 minutes AGAIN.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I think Quinn will quickly establish himself as a 1st PP unit player ahead of Edler. The key for winning over Green is being competent in your own end and with the basics (getting the puck out, not shying away from contact) and Quinn has shown well there already. And if he is playing with Tanev it will help immensely.

Perhaps I am bullish but his skill level suggests that he'll rack up secondary assists. You have to remember the Canucks added some depth and they have a number of guys who have good enough shots to convert a lot of his setups. Getting roughly 1 assist every other game seems do-able.

I'll say 8 goals, 43 assists for 51 points.

He'll also make some terrible reads and get walked/run over in his own end from time to time. I fully expect that to happen and I'm sure the fans here will keep it all in perspective :)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

All Hughes has to do defensively on the left side, is be an improvement on Hutton and Pouliot. That's a pretty low bar. Because you know he'll be light years better offensively. So I can live with periodic blip in his own zone.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
In the last 10 years, only 5 rookie defensemen 20 or younger had 40 or more points (Myers, Werenski, Dahlin, Fowler, Sergachev), and only 6 more had 30 or more (Ekblad, Del Zotto, Heiskanen, McAvoy, Lindholm, Provorov). Myers was the highest at 48 points. Part of me feels he's the type of talent to hit 40, but I'm not sure Green's going to give him the leeway to do that and I worry about how well he'll hold up late in the year. I'm thinking 30-35.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Regardless of how many points he wracks up, watching Hughes do his thing with Pettersson on three-on-three OT, will be a buzz for the Canuck faithful all season long. They'll break the ankles of some luckless defenders before this season is over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad