Quinn Hughes Predictions

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
67GP 3G 26A 29P

I see him probably sustaining an injury next season like most of our defense does, he'll be super dynamic on the back end, but won't get a ton of time with Petey/Brock except in 3 on 3 overtime maybe. Will start on 2nd unit PP while Edler/Myers starts on top pairing because VETERANS AND MENTORSHIP. Will be on 1PP by the end of the year, when they are out of playoff contention, and will do super well.

Canuck fans lament his shot like they do with Stecher, and most of the talk going into the offseason is that it has to be better for him to be on the 1PP going into 20/21.

Will take over PP1 duties by mid November, simply too talented.

Reactions: Kreator

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Really tough question. Will be interesting to see how much trust Green puts in QH. I imagine it will be limited (2nd PP and small minutes) to start with perhaps the odd scratch. From there, I think his play will earn him more ice time. I imagine he plays on the third pair and second PP when everyone is healthy throughout the season and injuries will naturally give him the opportunity up the lineup that he will deserve. I would think he would challenge for the PP1 spot but I think Edler and Myers especially will get long looks. I figure it’s fairly likely QH tail off somewhat throughout the season like many NCAA players do. I imagine he’ll get tagged a lot more on breakouts at this level even factoring in his skating ability. Really excited to see what he can bring.

Thinking 30ish points. Some ups and down definitely but overall proves himself to be a big part of the team going forward.

kallor

May 15, 2015
I don't think it will be a question of whether Green will trust him or not but whether he can prove he can play in this league in a variety of situations.

Baertschi, Horvat, Boeser and Petersson all proved it and were given the ice time accordingly.

Virtanen, Goldobin, Gaudette haven't yet.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
30ish points, 70ish games, starting on PP2 and eventually earning that PP1 spot. My guess is Myers or Stecher as his D partner 5 on 5.

He will lead our D in points, be considered for a Calder, but looking at this year's rookie class, I don't know he's a shoe in to be a winner.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
If he makes his way onto our top pp unit 48 points. IF Edler is spoon fed his ice time then its 39 points.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
There's no reason why they both can't be on the top PP and Edler bumps down to PP2.

We finally have enough depth in terms of legitimate offensive forwards and defenseman that we can actually run two reasonable PP units.

Unit 1:

Pettersson - Miller - Boeser
Hughes - Myers

Unit 2:

Baertschi - Horvat - Ferland
Edler - Stecher

As good as Edler was on the PP last season, I want his minutes cut down to reduce his load and injury risk. The PP is as good as any of a place to start.

Who still runs two defenseman on the PP aside from teams with two superstar defenseman (SJS)?
If you have two defenseman on the PP one of them will be playing along the boards. Boeser and Pettersson are infinitely better options to play on the boards than either Myers or Edler. Hughes is better to play on the point.

Canucks should just run

Horvat in front of the net
Boeser on LW Pettersson on the RW
Whoever is hot in the center.
Hughes as the pointman

Last edited:

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Who still runs two defenseman on the PP aside from teams with two superstar defenseman (SJS)?

Canucks should just run

Hughes as the pointman
We could have a very potent pp

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Could.
Depends on who sends out the units. Edler got a lot of playing time simply because he was a vet.

No. Edler got a lot of PP time because he was the best Canucks Dman on the PP.

I have no idea where this obsession with Myers on the PP is coming from.

It's based on the idea that 5 on 4, Myers ranks as one of the best Dmen in the league in terms of primary assists per 60. Overall, Myers has been productive in his time on the PP. He's good in the offensive zone.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
He's gotta earn green's trust before he'll get the prime minutes. I don't want to but I think we'll see some carry over from last season where green was hesitant to use him on PP1 etc.

If he ends up getting crushed defensively I don't know how much his offensive will push green to use him more then sparingly.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
He gets somewhere between zero and 100 points going out on a limb here.

But seriously his strengths are his puck moving abilities and his offensive skills . Plus he will be one of the reasons why people buy tickets so they’re going to have to play them on the power play.

His biggest liability is his size . He will be better used on the power play then in his own end.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
No. Edler got a lot of PP time because he was the best Canucks Dman on the PP.

It's based on the idea that 5 on 4, Myers ranks as one of the best Dmen in the league in terms of primary assists per 60. Overall, Myers has been productive in his time on the PP. He's good in the offensive zone.

On the 4th best PP in the league.
Only had 7 PP points last season.
3 Defenseman had higher PPP on the jets last season.

What has warranted him being on the 1st unit? Rather have Edler on the 2nd unit and Hughes on the first unit. Run 4 forwards on both units.

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
Im not sold that just by having hughes on PP1 it will automatically solve all of our PP problems. Last year everyone said pettersson on one side with boeser on the other was going to be lethal -- and our PP took a backstep im pretty sure.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Really wish we had one more talented RHS player who could be a slot trigger man and run a PP more similar to Tampa or Washington with Horvat/Miller playing the down low bumper play to the slot in addition to shooting options in Boeser and Pettersson.

forty47seven

May 2, 2009
If you have two defenseman on the PP one of them will be playing along the boards. Boeser and Pettersson are infinitely better options to play on the boards than either Myers or Edler. Hughes is better to play on the point.

Canucks should just run

Hughes as the pointman

Hughes likes to hang on to the puck and beat guys with his skating and dekes. He's going to find himself along the board and behind the net on a lot of his shifts. Being the guy on the boards might work for Hughes as he plays like a rover or 4th forward anyways.

Quinn isn't much of a shooter. He averaged just over 2 shots per game last year in the NCAA. He had six shots in five games in his brief NHL stint. I think he's going to have 90-100 shots next season. Myers and Edler aren't the most prolific shooters either but will likely have 70-80 more shots than Quinn. Edler or Myers might be better suited to play a more traditional role of point-man on the PP until Quinn improves his shot.

On the 4th best PP in the league.
Only had 7 PP points last season.
3 Defenseman had higher PPP on the jets last season.

What has warranted him being on the 1st unit? Rather have Edler on the 2nd unit and Hughes on the first unit. Run 4 forwards on both units.

Myers played behind two legit first pair RHD and saw similar minutes to Stecher on the PP last season. He never really had an opportunity. Two seasons ago he had 17 PP points.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad