Quinn Hughes Predictions

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Hughes likes to hang on to the puck and beat guys with his skating and dekes. He's going to find himself along the board and behind the net on a lot of his shifts. Being the guy on the boards might work for Hughes as he plays like a rover or 4th forward anyways.

Quinn isn't much of a shooter. He averaged just over 2 shots per game last year in the NCAA. He had six shots in five games in his brief NHL stint. I think he's going to have 90-100 shots next season. Myers and Edler aren't the most prolific shooters either but will likely have 70-80 more shots than Quinn. Edler or Myers might be better suited to play a more traditional role of point-man on the PP until Quinn improves his shot.

Yeah, but it's not like Pettersson or Boeser can't drop back. Running two defenseman for a team that has basically no offensive defenseman aside from Hughes is not really an option.

Myers played behind two legit first pair RHD and saw similar minutes to Stecher on the PP last season. He never really had an opportunity. Two seasons ago he had 17 PP points.

Just because he was playing behind two first pairings doesn't mean he deserves to play on the first unit. That 17 PP season was likely an outlier. Again, he was playing on a great power play. Myers needs to prove that he can be a 1st unit PP guy before people plug him in there.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
On the 4th best PP in the league.
Only had 7 PP points last season.
3 Defenseman had higher PPP on the jets last season.

What has warranted him being on the 1st unit? Rather have Edler on the 2nd unit and Hughes on the first unit. Run 4 forwards on both units.

The primary assists stat isn't from last season alone. I never said that Myers should be on the first unit. But he is a right handed shot as opposed to Hughes and Edler's left. That naturally changes the dynamic with Pettersson and Boeser on opposite sides. I'm for exploring different options and going mostly with what works best (there will bound to be times when the PP isn't working so you should switch things up).

I would rather have Hughes on the 1st unit PP too. Hughes is obviously a special player whose only weakness on the PP is that he doesn't have a big bomb from the point. Other than that, I think it's fair to say we all want to see him have an extended opportunity/permanent place on the 1st unit PP.

But between Myers and Edler, I'm not sure who would be better. I haven't really paid attention to how Myers played on the PP. I never liked having Edler on the 1st unit PP. But statistically he's been the best we have for years. I think Myers is better than Edler at facilitating offensive zone entries. Myers also has a more accurate wrister. Edler I think still has the slightly harder slap shot but he's been on the decline for years. Edler is kind of slow to me. But he's the vet who knows what he is doing. He's very vanilla. Personally I think Myers would be better than Edler on the PP but there's also a reason why multiple coaches over the years have chosen Edler to be on the PP.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
5G 40A finishing third in Calder voting.

it sounds crazy, but i think he will shoot out of the gates before slowing down in the second half.

Reactions: Canucks1096

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Edler put up 17 ppp in 56 games last year. On pace for about 25 ppp per 82 game schedule. If Hughes gets the top pp unit right away, I don't see why he cant get 40 plus points this year. Most likely everyone Believes Hughes is a better pp qb than Edler right now.

Hughes has 2 ppa on the 2nd unit last year in a game. I don't remember when was the last time a second pp unit D had 2 ppa in a game. I think we need to go back to 2009/2010 when Ehrhoff was on the 2nd unit with Kesler

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
If he's been on the Canucks Weight-Gain program, then he's already lost a step. It'll take him a few months to get back up to speed, but I'm confident injuries will set in by that time and icetime won't be too hard to find when there wasn't much for options in the first place.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
No predictions. This is what will happen.

6 goals
2 of them will be during 3 on 3 play. They will both be almost empty netters from cycling with Petey and Brock. He will be left alone and tap them both in.

31 assists
9 PP assists and four 3 on 3 assists

He will be on PP1 by the 20 game mark. He will finish 2nd to Kakko in the Calder in a very close vote. His brother will come 4th.

Prove me wrong. :p

Reactions: Bougieman

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver

6 goals
2 of them will be during 3 on 3 play. They will both be almost empty netters from cycling with Petey and Brock. He will be left alone and tap them both in.

31 assists

He will be on PP1 by the 20 game mark. He will finish 2nd to Kakko in the Calder in a very close vote. His brother will come 4th.

I really appreciate the level of detail, here.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant

6 goals

31 assists

I think he will need much more than 37 points to finish 2nd in Calder voting.

May as well go for the best possible outcome... Pettersson and Boeser take big steps forward and the new additions make strong contributions offensively, which propels the Canucks into top 5 in goals for, resulting in Hughes racking up 58 points and the Calder.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
50 in 50, a Calder, Norris, Richard and Ross, he cures cancer, and he saves Melania and Ivanka Trump from terrorists.

Anything less is a waste of a rookie season.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yep....the Hughes brothers are both listed as Calder co-favorites, along with Makar and Kakko. First time in NHL history two brothers are in discussion for the Calder.

Leaning towards Quinn myself. If he gets pp time with Petey and Boeser, he could put some serious point-totals. And points always seem to be the first determiner for the Calder.

Benjo

Mar 25, 2009
Depends if green keeps him off the PP to avoid giving him too much too fast

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not to put too much pressure on the kid after only a handful of NHL games, but as Quinn Hughes goes, so go the Canucks imo. He has the potential to transition the Canucks from having one of the lowest scoring bluelines in the entire league, to one of those teams in the top-10. So if he comes in at 6-10 goals and more than 50 points, the Canucks are a playoff team.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i don’t want to be a downer but our last two star rookies both got squished like bugs and suffered significant injuries. quinn hughes is by far the smallest of the three.

given the way things have gone i don’t have high hopes that he’ll just skate around and be able to do whatever he wants out there and score 50 points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad