Quinn Hughes Predictions

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
my hope is that chris tanev can teach hughes the ins and outs of playing smart positional defense while not teaching him that absorbing ridiculous amounts of contact is the only way to do it

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Considering he will receive lots of offensive and power play opportunities... I expect mid 30s-early 40s points for Hughes.

I expect the same and possibly a top 5 Calder finish but his play in his own end is going to have some real growing pains and when Tanev and/or Edler go down it will be interesting to see how he adjusts.

Reactions: Makar27

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Green has lots of work to do on the d-pairings. A week into camp, and it's still a mystery how the tandems will break down. The Myers-Hughes pairing might work, but I was under impression going to camp that they wanted Hughes to play with Tanev.

And where does Stecher fit in? He was decent with Edler last season, but is good enough to dislodge Tanev from a top-four role on the blueline? And who does Benn play with on the third pairing?

Canucks will be five games into the exhibition schedule by Saturday's game, so hopefully the answers will come quickly.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Green has lots of work to do on the d-pairings. A week into camp, and it's still a mystery how the tandems will break down. The Myers-Hughes pairing might work, but I was under impression going to camp that they wanted Hughes to play with Tanev.

And where does Stecher fit in? He was decent with Edler last season, but is good enough to dislodge Tanev from a top-four role on the blueline? And who does Benn play with on the third pairing?

Canucks will be five games into the exhibition schedule by Saturday's game, so hopefully the answers will come quickly.
That combo last night seemed a bit dodgy to me...although I guess things could change..Preferred Myers with Edler.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
my hope is that chris tanev can teach hughes the ins and outs of playing smart positional defense while not teaching him that absorbing ridiculous amounts of contact is the only way to do it

Chris Tanev to Hughes is suppose to be Malik to Jovanovski. He is the stay at home guy and Hughes is the rover.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Was not happy seeing Travis Green to be surprised that Hughes was not on the bench and that he had to ask his Assistant that his teeth had to get looked at. Not happy at his response after when the Oilers player was clearly targeting him - going out of position just to hit him with his stick,

Why was he not ejected? It was a head shot. Are we not going to send a tape to the NHL for this and the next time he targeted him?

/outrage

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I know this is the perpetual disappointing Canucks we're talking about here....but damn it's hard not to get pumped about Quinn Hughes. Just turns 20 in two weeks, but might have been the best player on the ice for both teams last night. His skating is effortless, and looks like could play even more than the 23 minutes he played last night.

He's going to drive a ton of offense from the back end....something the Canucks haven't had in their 50-year history. Barring injury or some other calamity, there's just no way this kid won't be in the Calder discussion by year's end.

Reactions: GrogZilla

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I know this is the perpetual disappointing Canucks we're talking about here....but damn it's hard not to get pumped about Quinn Hughes. Just turns 20 in two weeks, but might have been the best player on the ice for both teams last night. His skating is effortless, and looks like could play even more than the 23 minutes he played last night.

He's going to drive a ton of offense from the back end....something the Canucks haven't had in their 50-year history. Barring injury or some other calamity, there's just no way this kid won't be in the Calder discussion by year's end.
Guess you weren't around the time Paul Reinhardt was a Canuck. Even Dale Tallon showed that ability but the team effed up his development by constantly switching him from D to F and back again. Still, to be mentioned with those two isn't an insult.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Guess you weren't around the time Paul Reinhardt was a Canuck. Even Dale Tallon showed that ability but the team effed up his development by constantly switching him from D to F and back again. Still, to be mentioned with those two isn't an insult.

Reinhart was a great defenseman so smooth with the puck and great hockey IQ.

IMO he would have had a HHOF type of career if not for injuries.

I was too young to appreciate Dale Tallon but the Canucks got good value in trading him for John Gould and Gary Smith.

Reactions: Hit the post

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
can someone tell me about jocelyn guevremont? seems like that guy had some major offensive skills from the back end too.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
for the second straight year hughes does evan bouchard a major solid.

first he spares him from having to be drafted by vancouver, and now he LTIRs larsson and gets bouchard called up.

Reactions: Canucks1096

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Imagine being "spared" of living anywhere when you end up in Edmonton as a result.

haha i meant he was spared from having to work for franky a, benning, and weisbrod. but yeah, he does have to live in deadmonton.

at least the oilers cleaned house..

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Fueled by a top 5 PP in the league Hughes cruises to the ROY win with 18g - 50a.

Wow you were close on everything except goals

Hughes paced for if the season didn't end was 64 points, the canucks PP was top 5 and he's likely gonna win Rookie of the year.

I’d be disappointed with anything under 60 points

Considering he was pacing for 60 points you're not disappointed? :thumbu:

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Considering he was pacing for 60 points you're not disappointed? :thumbu:

Not at all. Hughes has been absolutely sensational. My hopes were sky high on this kid and I'm really glad I was right. The most exciting part is, he's young and still very raw and has a TON of room to develop and get way better than he is now (which is crazy to think about because he is SO GOOD already) in a few years down the line. I see a 90-100+ point defenseman here. Maybe not every year but for the majority of his peak for sure. Either that or he works on his defensive game and becomes a true Scotty Neidermayer type elite defensive and offensive defenseman who only scores 70-80 points. I'll take either one.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I thought I posted in here.
I must have posted in a season prediction thread about hughes.

I was off. I was in 35-45 point range in the 75 games played area, a few games missed for injuries or rest.
Blew me away with some of his 5v5 numbers. Wasnt sheltered, and had respectable defensive numbers relative to the team.

To think this guy was mentioned so much in the most overrated prospect thread.
The funniest part about this thread as EVERY negative comment or observation about hughes is liked by colorado fans
they are literally obsessed with this guy.
qh-2.png

Reactions: John Johnson

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Am I reading that right? Hughes had an oiSH of 90%? Holy crap have we ever seen this before from a Defenseman?

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
Am I reading that right? Hughes had an oiSH of 90%? Holy crap have we ever seen this before from a Defenseman?
That is Quinn Hughes' percentile among defenseman. Nobody would be able to sustain 90 oish% over large sample size. According to Evolving Hockey, Hughes' oish% is 9.66.

The highest oish% for a defenseman at 5v5 since 07-08 is Shawn Belle in 10-11 where he had an oish% of 24.92 in 4 games.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The first Canuck d-man in history who's in legitimate conversation for the Norris Trophy, before his career is done.

And it only took 50 years.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I unfortunately didn’t post, but I was expecting a 40 point season with much better than expected defensive play.

I was about 25 points off.... Haha... But the rest was true.

Sensational really. We finally have a legit #1 guy in the making, even if he isn’t a top 10 defensive player.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I unfortunately didn’t post, but I was expecting a 40 point season with much better than expected defensive play.

I was about 25 points off.... Haha... But the rest was true.

Sensational really. We finally have a legit #1 guy in the making, even if he isn’t a top 10 defensive player.
That's really what's so remarkable about Quinn Hughes. Yeah, his game lends itself to gaffes once in a while, but they were in a much lower frequency than I was expecting. He is really good with his stick and his gaps and plays so smart. This is the type of player that will greatly increase your chances of winning a cup if he pans out. Such an important piece going forward. The offense is great, but his overall transition game is just so valuable. He doesn't even need to put up that many points to be effective, yet he does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad