Quebec National Assembly considering bill to outlaw court challenges in arena/NHL bid

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
So the parliamentary commission is done.

The deal between Quebec City and Quebecor falls in a legal black hole that respects the spirit of the law.

It will be put in Omnibus Bill 13 that will only need a single majority to pass on Tuesday. As both the Liberals and the PQ support the bill, this is a DONE DEAL.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
De Belleval seeing the writing on the wall, saying: "We are not fighting only the deal, at this point, we are fighting a very intimidating organ: the Quebecois state. It is beyond the power of a single citizen, in this province, to fight a law in court."

I guess that's his version of a white flag.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
De Belleval seeing the writing on the wall, saying: "We are not fighting only the deal, at this point, we are fighting a very intimidating organ: the Quebecois state. It is beyond the power of a single citizen, in this province, to fight a law in court."

I guess that's his version of a white flag.

I hope it is his version of a white flag, the guy never had a case. The worse that was said about the deal by legal experts was that it might be unethical, but still legal. De Bellevalle was just stirring the pot for whatever reason.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
I hope it is his version of a white flag, the guy never had a case. The worse that was said about the deal by legal experts was that it might be unethical, but still legal. De Bellevalle was just stirring the pot for whatever reason.

I dont know what he had to gain by it, hes 70 years old its not like hes going to be a candidate at the next election

So glad this will be settle for good next week, now lets build this thing

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
On the other hand, they could do like Ottawa did and have their arena owner go bankrupt twice, to have a third one buy the whole thing for a pittance.

That is surely the fiscally responsible thing to do. :sarcasm:
Sorta like Toronto did with Skydome (now called Rogers Centre)

Etienne

Oct 25, 2008
Montréal
He has a personal agenda. He is from the Lallier administration and he loved the old days were "fonctionnaires" were gods in Quebec City. Labeaume runs the show alone, De Bellevalle doesn't like that. He wants Labeaume gone, that's all he wants.

You know, I hear a lot of trash talking from Quebec City citizens about Lallier and Boucher but aren't they the ones who governed the city during the amazing growth it had over the last 15 years? Maybe they were onto something because unemployment has been going up in Quebec City ever since Labeaume has been "running the show alone". Not that we in Mtl are doing any better with Gerald ****ing Tremblay and his spies (or the district dickheads who intentionally make traffic worse to promote the inefficient public transport system full of thieves and street gangs)

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
You know, I hear a lot of trash talking from Quebec City citizens about Lallier and Boucher but aren't they the ones who governed the city during the amazing growth it had over the last 15 years? Maybe they were onto something because unemployment has been going up in Quebec City ever since Labeaume has been "running the show alone". Not that we in Mtl are doing any better with Gerald ****ing Tremblay and his spies (or the district dickheads who intentionally make traffic worse to promote the inefficient public transport system full of thieves and street gangs)

I don't know if Boucher, Lallier, Labeaume or any mayor have that much economical power. Labeaume became the mayor in a middle of a recession, hardly his fault if unemployement has risen. Quebec City is one of the city that "survived" the recession the best.

I don't necessarly like Labeaume's dictator-like approach, I was just pointing out why De Bellevalle is out to get him. Labeaume is like Jean Drapeau, he is a visionary, but could very well bankrupt the city.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I don't know if Boucher, Lallier, Labeaume or any mayor have that much economical power. Labeaume became the mayor in a middle of a recession, hardly his fault if unemployement has risen. Quebec City is one of the city that "survived" the recession the best.

I don't necessarly like Labeaume's dictator-like approach, I was just pointing out why De Bellevalle is out to get him. Labeaume is like Jean Drapeau, he is a visionary, but could very well bankrupt the city.

The thing with Labeaume is that while he is someone that wants to get things happen in his city, he's a pretty fiscaly responsible guy in the Boucher style. He's cut a lot into pointless things, done everything to get rid of uncessessary things, helping the city save a lot of money. Money to be used elsewhere to do progects. It's been amazing to see. Before this you had a lefty like Lallier that only thought about arts and making the city more pretty after that you had a righty like Boucher than only thought about cutting things and that ANY progects were ridiculous but with Regis, while he has the personality of a grumpy old man sometime, he's a guy that go for the "gros bon sens". He goes into things as a case by case basis with no agenda. If it's stupid for the city to spend on something, he just gets rid of it. If he realise the city needs something, he'll do what he can to get it.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
BTW the Omnibus has to be okayed or approved by the PM, right? I heard something of the like that Charest was the one that had to do this. Because it can't be done in a traditional manner because it would be killed by Kahdir.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
The thing with Labeaume is that while he is someone that wants to get things happen in his city, he's a pretty fiscaly responsible guy in the Boucher style. He's cut a lot into pointless things, done everything to get rid of uncessessary things, helping the city save a lot of money. Money to be used elsewhere to do progects. It's been amazing to see. Before this you had a lefty like Lallier that only thought about arts and making the city more pretty after that you had a righty like Boucher than only thought about cutting things and that ANY progects were ridiculous but with Regis, while he has the personality of a grumpy old man sometime, he's a guy that go for the "gros bon sens". He goes into things as a case by case basis with no agenda. If it's stupid for the city to spend on something, he just gets rid of it. If he realise the city needs something, he'll do what he can to get it.

I think that we are in agreement here, but I do think that Labeaume is a bit of a megalomanic. He has so many big projects that it is hard to figure out how he will realize them all without bankrupting the city. Like I said, he is a visionary, but I'm afraid he thinks too big... 'sti :)

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I think that we are in agreement here, but I do think that Labeaume is a bit of a megalomanic. He has so many big projects that it is hard to figure out how he will realize them all without bankrupting the city. Like I said, he is a visionary, but I'm afraid he thinks too big... 'sti :)

lol Never let anyone say to you that you think too big. Maybe he is a megalomaniac or maybe he's just a guy that wants to see great things happen to the city and he has a boiling temper so that kinds of gives him this image of "little Napoleon". So far he got us McCartney, les Festival D'été have been off the hook since he came along. He got us Red Bull Crash Ice and probably a brand new arena. Let's face it when you want to make things happens, it generate noise and a lot of people don't like noise. They are used to their quiet little lives. The city needed a kick in the ass before he came along.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
BTW the Omnibus has to be okayed or approved by the PM, right? I heard something of the like that Charest was the one that had to do this. Because it can't be done in a traditional manner because it would be killed by Kahdir.

I heard single majority vote: 50% + 1

Party lines make it impossible to NOT pass. The PQ and PLQ are for it.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
The old ******** are not giving up.

De Belleval and Miville-Dechesne are organising a fundraiser to fight the constitutionality of the law in court.

They are calling their campaign, "J'ai ma place au tribunal". Which is of course a spin on the grassroots movement "J'ai ma place", which is taking deposits on Nords season tickets.

"It will take 5 or 6 years to settle this, it's not over", De Bellebal he says.

Sometimes, my people can't achieve forward motion on a working conveyor belt. We are home to some of the worst miserable procratinating ****ers on science's green earth. But, I have no fear. They will all die of old-age and their ******** with them.

Last edited:

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
The old ******** are not giving up.

De Belleval and Miville-Dechesne are organising a fundraiser to fight the constitutionality of the law in court.

They are calling their campaign, "J'ai ma place au tribunal". Which is of course a spin on the grassroots movement "J'ai ma place", which is taking deposits on Nords season tickets.

"It will take 5 or 6 years to settle this, it's not over", De Bellebal he says.

Sometimes, my people can't achieve forward motion on a working conveyor belt. We are home to some of the worst miserable procratinating ****ers on science's green earth. But, I have no fear. They will all die of old-age and their ******** with them.

Seriously, I just wish somebody would shot this guy. His crusade is more than ridiculous. He doesn't even have a case and he is 100% sure of losing. There is a TON of jurisprudence on similar laws. Marchand (Don't remember the first name) said at the commission that similar laws pass ALL THE TIME at the Assembly and gave examples. No serious judge will accept such a case. I don't understand why he keeps going...

Shawa666

May 25, 2010
Québec, Qc, Ca
Seriously, I just wish somebody would shot this guy. His crusade is more than ridiculous. He doesn't even have a case and he is 100% sure of losing. There is a TON of jurisprudence on similar laws. Marchand (Don't remember the first name) said at the commission that similar laws pass ALL THE TIME at the Assembly and gave examples. No serious judge will accept such a case. I don't understand why he keeps going...

Heck he passed two when he was a PQ minister, and asked for one as the GM of Québec City under l'Allier. Make no mistake, this is a personal Vendetta against Labeaume.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
3 big-name PQ MPs (Louise Beaudoin, Lizette Lapointe and Pierre Curzi) have left the party in protest of the party's support of the bill.

Louise Beaudoin is known for her zealous enforcement of Bill 101.
Lizette Lapointe is the wife of former Quebec premier Jacques Parizeau.
Pierre Curzi is an actor elected on his name value.

By the way, I need to mention that all three of those MPs are 65 years old or older. Just saying. Like De Belleval.

The omnibus bill will pass today or tomorrow. It will be studied in commission today and pass tomorrow, most likely.

It's ironic that the very same people who took Quebec out of the Great Darkness does not wish a great project such as this to go forward, despite their saying otherwise.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad