Quebec National Assembly considering bill to outlaw court challenges in arena/NHL bid

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
The press is saying Kadir has the ability to kill the Bill but since the Prime Minister is obviously for it, he could create another law linking business and goverment and that would make Kadir's vote unnecessary. Something of the sort. They said because of his power, Charest has something like three or four tools he could use to make sure the Bill passes.

They could also use the "baillon" and adopt the law unilaterally. Or they could present a law themselves in september.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
1) The Majority of Ottawa does not support the CFL
2)Life is not about sports. There are better things to spend tax money on.

A. Most people there want a soccer team.
B. The park and new retail would have been a great boost to the city.

I lived in that area for 9 years until last year, its literally a 30sec - 1min walk from that stadium, I know the area and people well

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Since the main contention is the deal with the Quebecor, why not forget that, have the province and city build the arena like it was arranged in the beginning. Then when a team is available, have Quebecor buy the team. All would be left to do is arrange for the building naming rights.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
I agree why sell the management of the building right now when it wont open till sept 2015.Start construction and sell the rights a few months before the grand opening

obsenssive*

the debate is going on in the capitale nationale. Amir Khadir is a huge troll. he spoke for 5 minutes about how it was a massive scheme to funnel tax payers money to quebecor. :facepalm:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
De Bellevalle seems like the sort of charlatan people with money used to hire in the old days to do a dirty job. He's going on saying dirty things about the Mayor discrediting him and the deal with Quebecor trying to stop process. As if he was working for someone that has ulterior motives. Bell Canada perhaps?

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
De Bellevalle seems like the sort of charlatan people with money used to hire in the old days to do a dirty job. He's going on saying dirty things about the Mayor discrediting him and the deal with Quebecor trying to stop process. As if he was working for someone that has ulterior motives. Bell Canada perhaps?

He has a personal agenda. He is from the Lallier administration and he loved the old days were "fonctionnaires" were gods in Quebec City. Labeaume runs the show alone, De Bellevalle doesn't like that. He wants Labeaume gone, that's all he wants.

Matrix78

May 23, 2010
Quebec City
Last edited:

Kanata Senators

May 25, 2011
Ottawa
I guess the province should pay for the building. Then they can just come crying to Ottawa for more transfer payments to cover the cost of education and healthcare.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
I guess the province should pay for the building. Then they can just come crying to Ottawa for more transfer payments to cover the cost of education and healthcare.

On the other hand, they could do like Ottawa did and have their arena owner go bankrupt twice, to have a third one buy the whole thing for a pittance.

That is surely the fiscally responsible thing to do. :sarcasm:

Shawa666

May 25, 2010
Québec, Qc, Ca

The Federal choose to involve itself in those matters. It's not Quebec's fault.

Oh, and By the way, Quebec and the city are paying for this. The federal is not involved.

Shawa666

May 25, 2010
Québec, Qc, Ca
On the other hand, they could do like Ottawa did and have their arena owner go bankrupt twice, to have a third one buy the whole thing for a pittance.

slow-clap.gif

Kanata Senators

May 25, 2011
Ottawa

Are you kidding me? The reason Terrace went bankrupt is because the province not only didn't pay for the arena, but made them pay to build an overpass! When the company that held the mortgage on that went bankrupt, it forced Terrace to go bankrupt.

And I realize the federal government is not putting money into an arena for QC. However, transfer payments help cover the cost of things like education, healthcare, leaving the provincial government free to pay for hockey arena's!! In effect, the rest of the country is paying for this arena, because if it weren't for everyone else in Canada, Quebec may have to afford healthcare and education instead!

Maybe you should pay for your own schools and hospitals, instead of expecting the rest of us to do it.:rant:

Last edited:

barneyg

Apr 22, 2007
Are you kidding me? The reason Terrace went bankrupt is because the province not only didn't pay for the arena, but made them pay to build an overpass! When the company that held the mortgage on that went bankrupt, it forced Terrace to go bankrupt.

And I realize the federal government is not putting money into an arena for QC. However, transfer payments help cover the cost of things like education, healthcare, leaving the provincial government free to pay for hockey arena's!! In effect, the rest of the country is paying for this arena, because if it weren't for everyone else in Canada, Quebec may have to afford healthcare and education instead!

Maybe you should pay for your own schools and hospitals, instead of expecting the rest of us to do it.:rant:

How many times has this argument been brought up?

The Quebec province as a whole makes a good scapegoat for equalization payments because it has a large population, but the fact is that it receives a lower amount of equalization payments per capita than any of the Atlantic provinces (except Newfoundland, but that wasn't always this way) and Manitoba.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007

Manitoba takes lots of money, why don't you complain about them.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
Because they aren't using public money to pay for hockey arena's which may or may not ever be used for an nhl team.

Manitoba residents get almost twice more equalization payments per capita that Québécois do. Maybe they should forget about going to hockey games and pay back the rest of Canada for that, eh? And for Ottawa, those who paid for your arena were the individuals, shareholders, companies and banks that were left holding the bag at the end. That eventually trickles down the average Ontario resident, meaning YOU.

The new Colisée is a public infrastructure project that, unlike most projects like roads, schools or museums, actually has a chance to turn a net profit for the city. Split the cost in three parts and build a venue for an orchestra, a museum and a theather for the same price and no one would complain, because culture is GOOD because it looses money and sports is BAD because it makes money.

Regardless of the likelyhood of getting a NHL team in Québec, the the old Colisée was built in 1949 and a replacement is urgently needed for the city's largest indoor venue.

Shawa666

May 25, 2010
Québec, Qc, Ca
Manitoba residents get almost twice more equalization payments per capita that Québécois do. Maybe they should forget about going to hockey games and pay back the rest of Canada for that, eh? And for Ottawa, those who paid for your arena were the individuals, shareholders, companies and banks that were left holding the bag at the end. That eventually trickles down the average Ontario resident, meaning YOU.

The new Colisée is a public infrastructure project that, unlike most projects like roads, schools or museums, actually has a chance to turn a net profit for the city. Split the cost in three parts and build a venue for an orchestra, a museum and a theather for the same price and no one would complain, because culture is GOOD because it looses money and sports is BAD because it makes money.

Regardless of the likelyhood of getting a NHL team in Québec, the the old Colisée was built in 1949 and a replacement is urgently needed for the city's largest indoor venue.

And it's split two way between the Provincial and the city.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
I don't want to play mods, but let's get back to the topic at hand here.

So minister Lessard will omnibus bill 204. Who here wants to bet that Khadir & chums will go to the courts claiming bill 204 is anti-constitutional and thus blow the whole thing to kingdom come? On top of De Bellevalle suing the city for the deal itself?

And really, who profits from Quebecor NOT running the arena? Find that answer and you'll find who MAY have given Khadir incentive to protest this, and who pays for De Bellevalle lawyers in his current action against the city.

Here's a few facts.

- The money given by both city and provincial govs is not given to Quebecor, but to whatever engineering firm will build the venue (Probably SNC Lavalin)

- Quebecor gets the rights to name and run the arena for a fee and a rent, respectively, and, with its "OWN" money (more on that later), will buy an NHL team to bring it to the old Colisée for the 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 seasons, with the goal of having the Videotron Arena (my guess for the name...) complete by 2015.

- Quebecor is only half-owned by Pierre-Karl Peladeau. The other half is owned by...*drum roll* the Quebec Government thru one of its dummy investment corporations. (Come on. Think that ugly ******* and his even uglier but infinitely more likeable father built that damn empire on their own?!? Quebecor and the Quebec Gouvernment are really close entities.) So the Quebec Gov also gets to pay half the team in theory, but no doubt will share near 50% of the profits.

- The Charest government is looking at getting four more years against all odds so they'll no doubt make sure that, no matter what happens, this happens. Don't worry, this will happen.

RandR

May 15, 2011
I can't let this one go so easily.

It is normal for real estate developers to pay for some public infrastructure as part of the price for being granted the right to go forward with a real estate project.

As a long-time home-owner in Ottawa I would have been furious if some of my property taxes would have gone into paying for an access ramp to a privately held arena so that real-estate developers could have their hockey team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad