GDT: Quarter Final: Canada Vs Slovakia | 9AM EST 3PM CET | CAN 6 - 1 SVK

blindpass

May 7, 2010
BIG FACTS! I often just laugh at these forums because I realized that many people are fans that don’t understand that there are many factors (Coaching, line-mates, playing wing when you are a center, the pressure of performing when you are highly touted, etc etc) that go into a players performance!

Byfield deserved to be here and its unfortunate he is not putting up the points we all want him to put up, but he is still going 2nd overall. He will be in the NHL next year and don’t be surprised if in 5 years from now he is regarded as a better player than Laff. He has that type of upside!
Great post, though I'm not sure he should be in the NHL next year.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Terrible read by Bernard Docker..it doesnt matter today but why the hell are all the defensmen standing up in the neutral zone. It's an easy oddman break the other way.

Reactions: Anichels

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Byfield wasn't really given those minutes, though. The first game saw us shorthanded a couple of times throughout first period, where we went down 2-0 and were chasing. Then we were on the PP for what felt like the entire 2nd, where we built a 3-2 lead, but where Byfield didn't get to play with his linemates. In fact, he barely played in the first 40 minutes of that game due to script and heavy special teams usage.

Then in game 2, the whole team was terrible, and from there the changes were made to the lines.

He also had 2 pre tournament games. He looked really solid in one but its been a downward slide since. I've never seen a draft eligible be given the opportunity he has for Canada but he just didnt do anything with it. Yes there were some circumstances but at wat point are you not expecting him to just go out on the 4th line and have a good shift even if hes this good?

I thought Svech was okay a couple year ago, point per game while not getting a ton of ice-time, but your point as a whole I agree with. Quinn Hughes and MacKinnon are two more examples of draft eligible players that didn’t play well at this tournament.

Mackinnon played fine, he was just stapled to the fourth line all tournament long thanks to a coach. No one came out of that tournament really questioning his draft position like they will with Byfield this year

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Lol kid with a cage in there trying to rip someones helmet off. The ref "what the hell are you doing get outta here" McIsaac " youve got a f***ing cage on tough guy"

Hopefully this game doesnt get stupid, dont need any injuries. All I can picture is hamonic getting injured late in a game against the Slovaks I believe thatmighta cost Canada gold

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
MacKinnon was playing well yet was underused.

Byfield ice time:

USA: 11:40
Russia: 12:56
Germany: 8:55
CZE: 11:26

They did not track TOI in 2013, but I would wager MacKinnon's ice time was similar to or more than that.

Again, there wasn't really anything that happened in the USA game other than game script to justify the drop in TOI, and no one individual could have been singled out for Russia.

I think people are reacting as if Byfield is playing 20 minutes a game.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Nice slapshot snipe. At least we won't get hammered 6-0 like some other team got by the Russians. :snide:

You know your hockey program is in pretty bad shape when that is the best thing you can take from a tournament.

I'd be pretty pissed myself, but that's just me.

Reactions: Sens72

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
#5 on Slovakia takes offense to every Canadian player that even glances towards the Slovakian goal

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
You can definitely see why people questioned whether or not his output would transfer to the NHL in his draft year. It's been my major takeaway after watching him a handful of times this year in Vancouver and now here in this tournament.

The good news is he is 100% and NHL defenceman, and he has the physical tools to be a top pairing guy. Based on his play in the dubs and this tournament, hard to think he won't be a top 4 dman on most teams one day.

I need to see more before I would feel comfortable against him facing top 6 NHL forwards anytime soon, but I guess the good news is COL is in no rush to deploy him that way. Some guys develop better in the NHL as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad