GDT: Quarter Final: Canada Vs Slovakia | 9AM EST 3PM CET | CAN 6 - 1 SVK

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Because he couldn't have done anything. The other guy cause the head contact by bailing and he had no time to react.

The guy coming in went low early, he had time to pull up on the hit and just take the puck instead of ignoring the puck and going for the hit.

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
So you think Slovakia deserves to be relegated because they are the worst team in the tournament like the poster i commented to? I believe they belong and I have a hard time thinking Austria can ever be better. They both deserve their placing in this tournament in 2021

10 teams is perfect. I can honestly say that all 10 deserved to be here this year, the Germans iced their strongest team at this tournament probably ever & the Kazakhs played some solid games against Switzerland and Slovakia. It's not like the top 8 or even top 9 teams just destroy the bottom 1-2 every year.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
I don't think he even looks great defensively. I'd put him in the C category. Not bad or noticeable, but not really making a name for himself out there.

Like I said I think he's been solid. He's got great mobility moving backwards and his gap control on a rush is great. He's able to keep players to the outside. He makes simple almost unnoticeable plays to get the puck out of his end. Hasn't carried the puck out of his end himself very much in this tournament which is something he does more of in Vancouver. Plays aggressive in the corners. Stays with his man. Decent stick has broken up a few plays.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Jack Hughes was bad in this tournament last year. Svechnikov was bad in this tournament two years ago. Nolan Patrick didn't even make the team.

It's the guys who play on teams without alot of firepower up front that look great. Kakko, Hischier, the Czech trio...all those guys got top minutes at 17. I mean if you put Byfield on Germany, I bet he'd have put up the same if not better numbers than Stutzle did.

Everyone just needs to calm down and dial it back in regards to this being "do or die". He's a role player playing out of position on this team.

Anyone who has seen Byfield play this year knows hes one of the best players in the CHL. Since he left, the Wolves are 0-6.
Hughes had 4 points in 4 games last year he wasnt bad. I dont think it's the end of the world for Byfield he just doesnt look like someone ready to step straight into the pros to me...though he probably will anyways.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Yes he could use one. Lavoie is more of a finisher and can do nothing and then have a goal. Byfield is more of a puck control player and they can be hard to get going. It's probably too late for him to be a big contributor at this point. We can see which forwards are driving the offence for Canada.
Yeah and it's a bit concerning, would like to have a more credible diversified attack.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Like I said I think he's been solid. He's got great mobility moving backwards and his gap control on a rush is great. He's able to keep players to the outside. He makes simple almost unnoticeable plays to get the puck out of his end. Hasn't carried the puck out of his end himself very much in this tournament which is something he does more of in Vancouver. Plays aggressive in the corners. Stays with his man. Decent stick has broken up a few plays.

Sure, his athleticism keeps him in the play and gives him a boost, but from what I've seen his decision making ability on both ends of the ice in below par, even ignoring his draft position.

He seems to be a couple steps behind every play, and I don't think his athleticism will make up for it at higher levels. Joe and his staff will have some work to get him playing at the NHL pace.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think people should remember that Lafreniere is a whole 10 months older than Byfield. Lafreniere wasn’t exactly dominating this tournament at 17 either

Lafreniere was also bullied by the dumb ass coach.

Jack Hughes was bad in this tournament last year. Svechnikov was bad in this tournament two years ago. Nolan Patrick didn't even make the team.

It's the guys who play on teams without alot of firepower up front that look great. Kakko, Hischier, the Czech trio...all those guys got top minutes at 17. I mean if you put Byfield on Germany, I bet he'd have put up the same if not better numbers than Stutzle did.

Everyone just needs to calm down and dial it back in regards to this being "do or die". He's a role player playing out of position on this team.

Anyone who has seen Byfield play this year knows hes one of the best players in the CHL. Since he left, the Wolves are 0-6.

I dont really think Byfield is comparable to Lafreniere last year. Like Scandale says above, Lafreniere was played little minutes because the coach had it in his head that he wasnt ready. Maybe he was or maybe he wasnt but he never got a chance. Byfield started in the top 6 and worked his way to the fourth line because hes looked downright bad. Wolvesandwings you have a point, usually its the weaker teams who have young guys shine but Byfield was given minutes with the captain on the second line to start the tournament. He just did nothing with it and now hes getting no ice time for good reason

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
So you think Slovakia deserves to be relegated because they are the worst team in the tournament like the poster i commented to? I believe they belong and I have a hard time thinking Austria can ever be better. They both deserve their placing in this tournament in 2021
We are having a tough year, but how is Slovakia worse than Kazakhstan? Please...

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Sure, his athleticism keeps him in the play and gives him a boost, but from what I've seen his decision making ability on both ends of the ice in below par, even ignoring his draft position.

He seems to be a couple steps behind every play, and I don't think his athleticism will make up for it at higher levels. Joe and his staff will have some work to get him playing at the NHL pace.

You can definitely see why people questioned whether or not his output would transfer to the NHL in his draft year. It's been my major takeaway after watching him a handful of times this year in Vancouver and now here in this tournament.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
I am not sure declaring subjective opinions as valid is really accurate. But whatever, I have wasted too many precious moments of this finite existence already. I'm out.
Your opinion about him posting too much about Byram is subjective. It's very weird

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I dont really think Byfield is comparable to Lafreniere last year. Like Scandale says above, Lafreniere was played little minutes because the coach had it in his head that he wasnt ready. Maybe he was or maybe he wasnt but he never got a chance. Byfield started in the top 6 and worked his way to the fourth line because hes looked downright bad. Wolvesandwings you have a point, usually its the weaker teams who have young guys shine but Byfield was given minutes with the captain on the second line to start the tournament. He just did nothing with it and now hes getting no ice time for good reason

Byfield wasn't really given those minutes, though. The first game saw us shorthanded a couple of times throughout first period, where we went down 2-0 and were chasing. Then we were on the PP for what felt like the entire 2nd, where we built a 3-2 lead, but where Byfield didn't get to play with his linemates. In fact, he barely played in the first 40 minutes of that game due to script and heavy special teams usage.

Then in game 2, the whole team was terrible, and from there the changes were made to the lines.

Sniperberg

Mar 30, 2017
Three point game for Hayton @7.50. Looks like we eating something other than cardboard today boys!

KK91

Jan 7, 2009

BIG FACTS! I often just laugh at these forums because I realized that many people are fans that don’t understand that there are many factors (Coaching, line-mates, playing wing when you are a center, the pressure of performing when you are highly touted, etc etc) that go into a players performance!

Byfield deserved to be here and its unfortunate he is not putting up the points we all want him to put up, but he is still going 2nd overall. He will be in the NHL next year and don’t be surprised if in 5 years from now he is regarded as a better player than Laff. He has that type of upside!

Reactions: blindpass and WaW

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011

I thought Svech was okay a couple year ago, point per game while not getting a ton of ice-time, but your point as a whole I agree with. Quinn Hughes and MacKinnon are two more examples of draft eligible players that didn’t play well at this tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad