GDT: Quarter Final: Canada Vs Slovakia | 9AM EST 3PM CET | CAN 6 - 1 SVK

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
That is fair. Maybe I just had the wrong impression on him as a player coming in.

I think he does have the skillset to be that type of player, to some extent, as clearly he is an offensive driver in college, but I don't think that will ever be a key element of his game in the NHL. I think he will be a top 4 guy but will do best in a complementary role with a more offensive player, which is ideal for Ottawa given that we have Chabot, Brannstrom, and Wolanin as our likely left side D for the next several years.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
He moves it well if he makes the right read, he rarely makes the right read.

He makes questionable decision in the offensive zone. Seems to panic a bit but his decision making in his own end has been great imo. Shows great poise in the defensive zone.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
He moves it well if he makes the right read, he rarely makes the right read. He is the second coming of Jack Johnson, you can call me on this in 5 years.

Like I said, bizarrely obsessed. No offense, but if I care enough in five years like you seem to do currently, please shoot me now.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Like I said, bizarrely obsessed. No offense, but if I care enough in five years like you seem to do currently, please shoot me now.
Jason is making valid points and you provide nothing in response except calling him obsessed. Maybe you're the one that's obsessed....

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Regardless of the rules, it was hardly his fault that the player bailed on the hit and put himself in a bad spot. Calling him "moron" was a terrible take, stop trying to justify it.

How is it regardless of the rules? It's an elimination game and you get tossed in the first minute. That's moronic because you should know the rules. He could have just as easily just pulled up and take the puck from the guy who bailed out in that play.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
Where do you find this stat??

A great example of why every year people freak out that Canada doesnt bring enough skill when they leave younger guys at home, Byfield doesnt look ready for this tournament at all but people were pencilling him in as Canadas top center.

Lafreniere is the best player in this tournament

I am going to leave this alone for now because the fourth line won’t play much going forward but wow I knew about Lavoie but Byfield looks awful and Thomas is now thrown into the mix by association

Anichels

May 3, 2013
Hub City
The only comment I will make on Byfield is this:

Based on this tournament alone;

If Byfield is truly the #2 best prospect in the next draft, then there is more of a gap between 1 and 2 than there is between 2 and whatever Mercer is.

Laf would have been #1 OA pick even if he did have a season-ending injury versus Russia.

wacko2

Dec 28, 2019
various
Yeah, so the other countries would not have a chance to develop at all. Great idea
Getting shellacked, then relegated down to where you belong does nothing to help develop interest or better quality hockey players. See Denmark, Belarus, Latvia, Kazakhstan and soon Slavakia for examples.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Jason is making valid points and you provide nothing in response except calling him obsessed. Maybe you're the one that's obsessed....

I am not sure declaring subjective opinions as valid is really accurate. But whatever, I have wasted too many precious moments of this finite existence already. I'm out.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I haven’t been able to watch any of these games. I understand that Byram’s offensive output has been disappointing, but the minutes he’s being given would indicate that the coaches have to like his defensive game, right?

Reactions: Dominance

blindpass

May 7, 2010
How is it regardless of the rules? It's an elimination game and you get tossed in the first minute. That's moronic because you should know the rules. He could have just as easily just pulled up and take the puck from the guy who bailed out in that play.
Because he couldn't have done anything. The other guy cause the head contact by bailing and he had no time to react.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
I haven’t been able to watch any of these games. I understand that Byram’s offensive output has been disappointing, but the minutes he’s being given would indicate that the coaches have to like his defensive game, right?

He's been solid in his own end. Just about 0 offensive game though tbh. I'd give him a grade of B up until this point in the tourny.

Reactions: tucker3434

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Yup, Lavoie too as I really believe he can be a weapon. We need more credible offensive threats going.

Yes he could use one. Lavoie is more of a finisher and can do nothing and then have a goal. Byfield is more of a puck control player and they can be hard to get going. It's probably too late for him to be a big contributor at this point. We can see which forwards are driving the offence for Canada.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
He's been solid in his own end. Just about 0 offensive game though tbh. I'd give him a grade of B up until this point in the tourny.

I don't think he even looks great defensively. I'd put him in the C category. Not bad or noticeable, but not really making a name for himself out there.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Jack Hughes was bad in this tournament last year. Svechnikov was bad in this tournament two years ago. Nolan Patrick didn't even make the team.

It's the guys who play on teams without alot of firepower up front that look great. Kakko, Hischier, the Czech trio...all those guys got top minutes at 17. I mean if you put Byfield on Germany, I bet he'd have put up the same if not better numbers than Stutzle did.

Everyone just needs to calm down and dial it back in regards to this being "do or die". He's a role player playing out of position on this team.

Anyone who has seen Byfield play this year knows hes one of the best players in the CHL. Since he left, the Wolves are 0-6.

Reactions: Alerion and KK91

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Yeah, so the other countries would not have a chance to develop at all. Great idea
So you think Slovakia deserves to be relegated because they are the worst team in the tournament like the poster i commented to? I believe they belong and I have a hard time thinking Austria can ever be better. They both deserve their placing in this tournament in 2021

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
Jack Hughes was bad in this tournament last year. Svechnikov was bad in this tournament two years ago. Nolan Patrick didn't even make the team.

It's the guys who play on teams without alot of firepower up front that look great. I mean if you put Byfield on Germany, I bet he'd have put up the same if not better numbers than Stutzle did.

Everyone just needs to calm down and dial it back in regards to this being "do or die".

Anyone who has seen Byfield play this year knows hes one of the beat players in the CHL. Since he left, the Wolves are 0-6.

Well to be fair to Nolan Patrick, he sucks.

wacko2

Dec 28, 2019
various
So you think Slovakia deserves to be relegated because they are the worst team in the tournament like the poster i commented to? I believe they belong and I have a hard time thinking Austria can ever be better. They both deserve their placing in this tournament in 2021
Yep, Slovakia is embarrassing their hockey history, perhaps relegation is the kick in the butt they need to see how untalented they actually are.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Of the forwards, I haven't been impressed with Byfield, Dudas and Lavoie.

Akil Thomas is probably under-utilized on the 4th line. He hasn't gotten much ice time, but when he has he's looked good. I'd give him a chance up on the right side with Dellandrea & McMichael, and bump Lavoie down to the 4th line. Byfield should center the 4th line. When Foote returns next game, I'd then move Dudas down to the 4th line and mix in Mercer sometimes as the 13th forward. I wouldn't play them much going forward, though. A shift or two per period.

Reactions: Anichels

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad