Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobieque

Low n' Slow (Me & the Food)
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2006
High River
853AAF26-FB02-4084-B0E5-374FD4F06695.jpeg

Grilled Pork Chops with a Carolina Gold Sauce. It’s a very tangy hot mustard which is awesome with pork.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
View attachment 348907 Been practicing Yorkshire Pudding, had to have the rest of the meal to go along with the latest batch.

Yorkshire's looking good. My wife has been making it for years with a recipe from a lady in BC that runs a B&B. I just asked her what she does and here's some tricks.

- Oven 425 - 450°C (we use 425 as convection)
- Bacon Grease in each baking tin ~ 1 tsp each one
- Get the bacon grease literally "smoking hot" and make sure to turn your fans on high. Fire alarm in the house will sound if not ;)
- Keep the mix and all mixed ingredients at room temp
- when the grease is smoking, put the mix in each cup immediately. I tried to do it myself but couldn't hold a candle to my wife. For every 1 I did she has 5 done.....you still want it smoking when adding mix
- 20 - 25 mins

Hope any of these "secrets" I just groomed from my wife helps you in your recipe! Great looking food you have going

Bobieque

Low n' Slow (Me & the Food)
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2006
High River
Yorkshire's looking good. My wife has been making it for years with a recipe from a lady in BC that runs a B&B. I just asked her what she does and here's some tricks.

- Oven 425 - 450°C (we use 425 as convection)
- Get the bacon grease literally "smoking hot" and make sure to turn your fans on high. Fire alarm in the house will sound if not ;)
- Keep the mix and all mixed ingredients at room temp
- when the grease is smoking, put the mix in each cup immediately. I tried to do it myself but couldn't hold a candle to my wife. For every 1 I did she has 5 done.....you still want it smoking when adding mix
- 20 - 25 mins

Hope any of these "secrets" I just groomed from my wife helps you in your recipe! Great looking food you have going
Thanks, pretty much what I’ve been trying, but I’m finding I have too deep a “well” for my liking. I’ve been using Crisco, but I think too much. I’ll try again on Sunday. I think I’ll use your bacon grease secret and see if it helps. Thanks again!

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

:lol: Hey f***nut. I just talked to your wife and she said "maybe a 1/4 - 1/2 tsp bacon grease". Idiot.

@Bobieque , sorry for passing the wrong info. As a side note, we keep a glass tupperware container fully stocked with bacon grease in the fridge for various recipes. Not the healthiest food so use at your own discretion and treat/use with respect. :)

** hope I don't get a MOD warning for flaming myself **

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
:lol: Hey f***nut. I just talked to your wife and she said "maybe a 1/4 - 1/2 tsp bacon grease". Idiot.

@Bobieque , sorry for passing the wrong info. As a side note, we keep a glass tupperware container fully stocked with bacon grease in the fridge for various recipes. Not the healthiest food so use at your own discretion and treat/use with respect. :)

** hope I don't get a MOD warning for flaming myself **

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I used this recipe earlier in the week, only differences were that I used Bush's maple and brown sugar beans so I didn't add brown sugar ad I used honey mustard instead or regular yellow mustard. I also added Purity brand Hot Portuguese sausage to the hot dogs. Tonight we are using Van Camps Pork N' Beans instead and I added the brown sugar and the sausage is the Mozzarela and Artichoke sausage sold at Costco that I had a bunch of after stocking up early on in the Covid situation since we are out of hot dogs. I also added a tsp of garlic powder and doubled the onion powder tonight. Hoping that it will be as good as the first time given the changes.

Beanie Wienies

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I used this recipe earlier in the week, only differences were that I used Bush's maple and brown sugar beans so I didn't add brown sugar ad I used honey mustard instead or regular yellow mustard. I also added Purity brand Hot Portuguese sausage to the hot dogs. Tonight we are using Van Camps Pork N' Beans instead and I added the brown sugar and the sausage is the Mozzarela and Artichoke sausage sold at Costco that I had a bunch of after stocking up early on in the Covid situation since we are out of hot dogs. I also added a tsp of garlic powder and doubled the onion powder tonight. Hoping that it will be as good as the first time given the changes.

Beanie Wienies

FWIW it sucked. The sausage overpowered it and it wasn't as tasty overall. Back to what works!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You guys are all gonna be 300obs when this is done. .;)

We're remembering to get some fish in our diet. Love Salmon, Trout, even Tuna. Eat mostly that and poultry. Sounds strange but I love aromatic stuff like Cilantro, Parsley, chives, and we've been using tons of it from the garden already. I actually search for dishes to make with Parsley, love it so much. From soups to stews to using it as garnish or in Tabouli. Can eat it by the handful. We grow rows of 3 kinds of Parsley in addition to Cilantro, lol.

Using a lot of cabbage as well. In everything from Bulgogi chicken, oriental dishes, to lazy cabbage rolls. Cabbage not from garden obviously. But the head I bought was the size of a soccer ball. Almost had to halve it to fit in the fridge.. oh, made homemade coleslaw and homemade German Potato Salad as well. Greek potatoes the other day. Working through lots of veggies. I'm out of carrots again..

I never go to places like Meat or Pampas. consistent with my rep I'm more a herbivore. Love veggies, legumes etc. More veggies on the plate the better. Still no love for brussel sprouts though and I can take or leave cauliflower.

ps looks like I'm doing it right. Parsley has a ton of benefits.

10 Health Benefits of Parsley - Facty Health

I love Berries as well. Must have lots of antioxidants in my diet. haha

Seems like Parsley helps fight infections, antiimflammatory, build up immunity, strengthen cardiovascular systems. hint hint. heh

Parsley grows like crazy here and lasts for two seasons. Comes back in the spring, (first thing out along with the chives) and parsley can still be picked under the snow in November. We basically get parsley from the garden anytime from April to November. Swiss Chard is another freak vegetable that grows like crazy here. Love it too. First snows doesn't even kill the plants.

Last edited:

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Thanks, pretty much what I’ve been trying, but I’m finding I have too deep a “well” for my liking. I’ve been using Crisco, but I think too much. I’ll try again on Sunday. I think I’ll use your bacon grease secret and see if it helps. Thanks again!

I actually max my oven. maybe it's a week oven but I go 500 degrees. I turn it down to 425 after about 10 minutes so they don't burn.
I tried meat drippings and honestly wasn't all that impressed surprisingly. I was expecting some better flavor and didn't get the rise I normally got.
Ended up just sticking with canola oil or vegetable oil as I believe they have a higher smoke point than lard and animal fat.

2 cups milk room Temp!
4 eggs room Temp!
1 teaspoon salt

Mix in stand mixer till bubbly right before ready to poor into tin. don't mix then let rest etc.

Heat up oven with muffin tin (would love to try a popover thing some day but I'm cheap) and 1 tsp of canola oil in each tin. should be stupid hot like mentioned when you pull the tin out to fill them.

And like Dorian says.. speed pour those f***ers haha. 1/3 cup each tin. Try to be fast enough that the last one still bubbles a bit with the hot oil.
I liken it to a nascar pitstop.

10 mins 500 (once again maybe my oven blows ass but I believe the more heat you can get early the better)
10 mins and maybe change at 400

If anyone has a good gravy recipe without meat drippings let me know. I like to just make these on their own with just whatever I can whip up gravy. Usually just onion soup packet, beef broth, and flour. But would be interested if anyone has a different version to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad