Series Talk: Qualifying Round: Carolina Hurricanes vs. New York Rangers

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Pretty sure Beleskey was a cap dump for the Bruins to acquire Nash, who we also got Spooner (Strome), Lindgren and a 1st for.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
So what order do you guys think we lift the cup?
I’m sure our A’s will insist Hank lifts it first, and it’ll be right up there with Ray Bourque :puppy:

:rangers

Henrik Lundqvist
Marc Staal
Chris Kreider
Jesper Fast
Mike Zibanejad
Brendan Smith
Pavel Buchnevich
Artemi Panarin
Ryan Strome
Tony DeAngelo
Jacob Trouba
Brendan Lemieux
Filip Chytil
Brett Howden
Philip Di Giuseppe
Alexandar Georgiev
Igor Shesterkin
Ryan Lindgren
Adam Fox
Kaapo Kakko
Julien Gauthier

I'm literally able to bring myself to tears imagining Hank lifting the cup first lol
I think Chytil will be way higher on the list especially after he scores 10 or 12 goals and helping to win the cup, ;-)

Also, a dream case scenario is we are up 3 games to 0 in the finals and then we allow Hank to get in there and win that final game.......just so we/we can say that he had a hand in it, HE DESERVES THAT.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yes, Beleskey was a camp dump. We retained 50%. They had him buried and were paying approximately $3.0M of his $3.8M while he was in Providence. By splitting with us they saved a little over a million by reducing his charge to $1.9M and also cleared a contract. Numbers approximate.

Reactions: egelband

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Listen boys, I don’t really care about whether this cup gets an asterisk next to it, or how they seed the teams, or really anything except for the fact that:

This hockey team, from the beginning of the year with excitement coming in (shiny new toys; Panarin, Trouba, Kakko, Fox) but totally green with little chemistry... coming together over the season, turning a significant corner at some point, Shesty getting called up, DeAngelo and Fox exceeding expectations, etc., etc., ... this hockey team was coming together, was becoming exciting, was becoming dangerous, was developing an identity, seems to very clearly have a bright future... and now we get to see them compete for a playoff spot, maybe play in the playoffs... I for one am excited. I’ve loved watching the team evolve this year. I’m very, very ready to see what we can do, especially coming in against teams that have no momentum. It’s like a hard reset. The team from October isn’t the team from March. Now the team from March gets to start, not behind in the standings and trying to makeup ground to squeak in, but with a chance to compete right away. I’m ready to see how we rise to the challenge.
Nice post. You know, lots of teams that come on strong at the end of the season to get that improbable playoff spot, run out of gas by doing so. And then they proceed to lose in the first round.
So your point is a very good one. Now our Rangers.......... if they can just kind of get close to picking up where they left off, well maybe the sky is the limit. Maybe miracles do happen, because it would be a miracle if somehow someway Hank AND Marc can get their hands on Lord Stanley....

....... would make all of this waiting very well worth it.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I think Chytil will be way higher on the list especially after he scores 10 or 12 goals and helping to win the cup, ;-)

Also, a dream case scenario is we are up 3 games to 0 in the finals and then we allow Hank to get in there and win that final game.......just so we/we can say that he had a hand in it, HE DESERVES THAT.

We’d lose that game 6-2

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

As a Yankee fan, I think this is a very bad idea.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
With such a big break there's absolutely no way to handicap how short series would turnout. The biggest wildcard is goalie performance.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
am i the only one here who seriously doubts the rangers make it out of the qualifying series? The canes will win more faceoffs, outskate and outforecheck the Rangers, and have 7 healthy defenseman who could easily slot in the Rangers top 4.

Only weakness is goaltending but it won't matter if the Canes are putting up 40-45 shots per game. How much faith are we putting in Shesterkin to make 38+ saves a night in a short-succession best of 5 series?

The thing that Carolina has going for them is depth throughout their lineup. They can roll 4 lines and they have plenty of NHL caliber defensemen though I think you're overrating some of them (I'm not a fan of Vatanen or Gardiner for instance--Skjei has his brain farts, Edmundson and Van Riemsdyk are kind of pedestrian and Fleury's no great shakes either) and Mrazek and Reimer are very average goaltenders. The two most dynamic forwards in the series are Panarin and Zibanejad. Carolina will have to figure a way to stifle both Panarin's and Zibanejad's lines and whoever their goaltender is is going to have to rise above average for that to happen.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The thing that Carolina has going for them is depth throughout their lineup. They can roll 4 lines and they have plenty of NHL caliber defensemen though I think you're overrating some of them (I'm not a fan of Vatanen or Gardiner for instance--Skjei has his brain farts, Edmundson and Van Riemsdyk are kind of pedestrian and Fleury's no great shakes either) and Mrazek and Reimer are very average goaltenders. The two most dynamic forwards in the series are Panarin and Zibanejad. Carolina will have to figure a way to stifle both Panarin's and Zibanejad's lines and whoever their goaltender is is going to have to rise above average for that to happen.

Aho is on the same level, but to your point, he only plays on the one line.

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Aho is on the same level, but to your point, he only plays on the one line.

Aho is a great player. I don't think he's quite as good as Mika or Artemi. They do have Teravainen and Svechnikov though and if I were to rank the forwards in the series: 1. Panarin 2. Zibanejad 3. Aho 4. Svechnikov 5. Teravainen. Carolina's bottom 6 is much better than ours and playoff series are often won by the bottom two lines of one team severely outplaying the bottom two lines of the other. That's a Rangers weakness.

In a playoff series a lot of things can happen. The Canes very well could win but I really don't like their goaltending and even if they knock us off I don't see them going all the way because of it. The Rangers are only going to go as far as Mika, Artemi and probably Igor take them. For this series they'll have to contain both Panarin and Zibanejad and the Rangers powerplay.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
am i the only one here who seriously doubts the rangers make it out of the qualifying series? The canes will win more faceoffs, outskate and outforecheck the Rangers, and have 7 healthy defenseman who could easily slot in the Rangers top 4.

Only weakness is goaltending but it won't matter if the Canes are putting up 40-45 shots per game. How much faith are we putting in Shesterkin to make 38+ saves a night in a short-succession best of 5 series?
Isn't that what he did in half his wins? I have faith

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

It’s mattered in all our previous matchups. The Canes always outshoot us.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
This team can win a series against nearly any team under these circumstances imo. Not saying they will, but everything is up in the air with the league suddenly starting right into playoffs and this team has the guys who can get hot and dominate a stretch of games. If some combination of Mika, Panarin and/or Igor come out hot, this team can absolutely beat Carolina and better teams, especially if the heavy hitters on those teams don’t fly out of the gate. Everything is going to depend on who starts strong.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
This team can win a series against nearly any team under these circumstances imo. Not saying they will, but everything is up in the air with the league suddenly starting right into playoffs and this team has the guys who can get hot and dominate a stretch of games. If some combination of Mika, Panarin and/or Igor come out hot, this team can absolutely beat Carolina and better teams, especially if the heavy hitters on those teams don’t fly out of the gate. Everything is going to depend on who starts strong.

Mika was in beast mode when the season shut down. He was just taking over games. It's not just superior talent. He has size and strength--can lean on people and literally run them over and still he has the skating and hands to go round them and beat them that way instead.

And Panarin might be an even more gifted player. When I've seen him in the playoffs he's literally carried his team.

As far as shots go--Carolina 3 times this past season went over 40 with us. I seem to remember at least one of those games though where most all of them were low percentage.

IMO one of Mrazek or Reimer will have to come close to matching our goaltending in the series. It can be deflating when you're outplaying the opposition but your goalie is giving away leads.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol

In Igor’s 12 game career, he already has 4 40+ save games. He’s lost 1 game where he’s seen over 30 shots. If we are scoring, we won’t have any problems.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I love Kreider, but Teravainen is a step above him in ability.

dunno if i agree, regarding overall hockey tools, but he is really skilled

remarkable (to me) that CBH sent him away, at age 21, as sweetener to offload Bickell contract
2016-Jun-15 Traded from Chicago Blackhawks with Bryan Bickell to Carolina Hurricanes for round 2 pick in the 2016 draft (Artur Kayumov) and round 3 pick in the 2017 draft (Keith Petruzzelli)
Teuvo Teravainen Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
dunno if i agree, regarding overall hockey tools, but he is really skilled

remarkable (to me) that CBH sent him away, at age 21, as sweetener to offload Bickell contract
2016-Jun-15 Traded from Chicago Blackhawks with Bryan Bickell to Carolina Hurricanes for round 2 pick in the 2016 draft (Artur Kayumov) and round 3 pick in the 2017 draft (Keith Petruzzelli)

Yeah. I mean I remember how he was viewed as a disappointment at that point. He was going into his D+5 and looked at as being a 3rd liner.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC

Totally agree. But unfortunately if one dman goes down this team is likely looking at a quick exit. They just aren't built to win a championship. It's hard enough to win 16 games...now we are looking at 19. That's fine since we are ahead of schedule, but the odds are really stacked against us.

Reactions: haveandare

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Yeah. I mean I remember how he was viewed as a disappointment at that point. He was going into his D+5 and looked at as being a 3rd liner.

Wasn't he a throw in in order to make the salary cap deal

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
... remarkable (to me) that CBH sent him away, at age 21, as sweetener to offload Bickell contract

Wasn't he a throw in in order to make the salary cap deal

i would say TT was the reason that Canes accepted Bickell's contract, and gave back a 2d & a 3d
TT had been 18th overall and was just 21 on trade day
Bickell only played 11 NHL and 10 AHL games in his career after trade, carrying a $4M CapHit and $4.5M salary
https://www.capfriendly.com/players/bryan-bickell

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad