Series Talk: Qualifying Round: Carolina Hurricanes vs. New York Rangers

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I see a possibility that young guys make outsized contributions post-pause. Glad to have Chytil, Fox, Kakko, Gauthier, Lias in Blue

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I'd definitely want Kravtsov on the roster. Let's see what he has in camp. He has more talent than Nieves and Belesky. Yes, he may not be ready, but with the time off, and another shorter camp he may show something. Being able to add some real talent to the roster would make them more dangerous. At least take a look.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Yeah, I'm with @Tawnos and @eco's bones re. inclusion of Kravtsov in the 28-men list. The Rangers have 4-6 similarly marginal players and all indications is that at least a couple will not dress for the varsity under any circumstances. From this perspective it would be a bigger waste of a spot vs. giving it to Kravtsov who will not dress just the same but being in the group would give be beneficial to him long-term, maybe even as soon as next season.

Reactions: eco's bones

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Fogarty and Nieves are your backup centers. And they both bring different things, and I could understand if you needed a C to step in why you'd pick one over the other. Fogarty is more of a battler, big, strong, wins corners battles, etc. Nieves, they've always liked him for his speed and the theoretical puck skills he brings (which never really materialize, but are always tempting). I think you have to take these two.

Beleskey I would think would have been a frequent spare on the team if not for his cap hit. The cap hit is the biggest reason he never got a look this year, IMO. He's not what he once was, but I think he's still effective enough to bring that gritty, grinding element on the wing that is valued in the playoffs.

Lettieri is the best AHL player on the list, and if they think he still could possibly contribute in an NHL role, he's a no-brainer. He brings a totally different skill set than Beleskey and the two are not interchangeable at all. You'd insert one guy if you were looking for one thing, another guy for something else. Like Beleskey is in if Lemieux is out, Lettieri you'd want if PDG or someone was out and still wanted some potential offense and creativity. So Beleskey and Lettieri might be similarly marginal in terms of their overall ability, but they have totally different uses.

Gettinger? He's an interesting case. I think his game got better as the year went on and if we were talking about next season, I would say I think he's ready to compete for a spot on the fourth line. Is he ready now? I'm not so sure. I still believe he'd make more of an impact in a game than Kravtsov, but I do understand why you'd want to bring Kravtsov for the experience.

If you brought Fogarty, Nieves, Besleskey, and Lettieri, it's unlikely you'd need Gettinger because Beleskey or even Fogarty on the wing (which he can do) could mostly accomplish the same role. The only other player I'd consider is O'Regan, who while lacking Nieves' size, works really hard, and plays a good two-way game. He also brings a bit of NHL experience, and at least some AHL playoff experience--which none of the other guys save Beleskey can claim.

So for me, it' going to be Nieves, Beleskey, Fogarty, Lettieri, as locks, and in that order of need and what they uniquely bring. Then it's a toss-up on Gettinger or Kravtsov, depending on whether the team would anticipate having to go that far down. O'Regan is a wildcard because while he's kind of the lost man in this group, he's an energy guy with some experience.

I've decided with Andersson that unless he actively lobbies to be included, he can stay home. IMO.

Lastly--until the roster size is negotiated and confirmed, this is all fluid.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Absolutely it's fluid. Though I think if you're looking at 8 slots for players who might end up playing, you go with a 5-3 split with the forwards and D. That means you can bring Gettinger or Andersson and still have your 4 locks, which I agree with.

It's also worth remembering that Brendan Smith can still play both. So, if you might need one less forward than other teams would. Hard to see him getting forward time, though, unless someone like Reunanen or Rykov just blows everyone away in camp.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Really, how many of these guys will play anyway. It's the playoffs. You play your regulars unless there's an injury. If there are that many injuries that you go 4 deep into the subs then you're screwed anyway. At least Kravtsov COULD come to camp and earn a starting spot. The only need for the more extensive sub list is if there's a virus breakout. And if that happens you're not winning anything.

Reactions: bl02

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Really, how many of these guys will play anyway. It's the playoffs. You play your regulars unless there's an injury. If there are that many injuries that you go 4 deep into the subs then you're screwed anyway. At least Kravtsov COULD come to camp and earn a starting spot. The only need for the more extensive sub list is if there's a virus breakout. And if that happens you're not winning anything.
This is the point I've been trying to make, though. You don't carry four or five guys because you're realistically going four or five deep due to injuries. Nieves and Fogarty are primarily centers, Beleskey and Lettieri are primarily wingers. So right there you're not four deep, you're two deep on subs depending on forwards and wingers. And then, the two centers play differently than each other, as do the wings. So if an offensively-oriented wing gets injured, you to to Lettieri. If it's a grinder, you go with Beleskey. Hell depending on match ups, you may go Beleskey over PDG even without injury.

It's just like having a bench in baseball. Each guy on the bench has a role. If you need a defensive replacement in CF late in the game, it's nice to have that guy on the bench instead of some plodding corner OF who is there to slug and not field. This is the closest NHL teams will probably ever have to an actual bench where they could strategically deploy extra players, so I think it's smart to plan accordingly.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
With the team rebuilding, I'd think they are going to bring guys in that will have a role in the team moving beyond this season. Fogarty has a new deal, he will be on the roster as an extra. Lettieri does not and will be an UFA at season's end. Do you bring him because he is better than Kravtsov or do you just bring the guy that has a future with the team? Beleskey is a UFA as well. Gettinger does a lot of what he does already and is another young player. Nieves or O'Regan serve a similar role, so one of them will be brought in. Both will be UFA's and both can play C or W. If they can go up to 28 as speculated, I would go with this roster:

F: Panarin, Zibanejad, Kreider, Buchnevich, Strome, Fast, Chytil, Kakko (if doctors clear him), Lemieux (suspended initially), Gauthier, DiGuiseppe, McKegg, Howden, Fogarty, Gettinger, Kravtsov
D: Fox, DeAngelo, Trouba, Lindgren, Smith, Staal, Hajek, Raddysh, Rykov
G: Lundqvist, Georgiev, Shesterkin (if goalies can be unlimited beyond the 28, add Huska to give 4 goalies)

Even being an extra and just being around NHL players will help the younger guys. You never know if a Rykov or Kravtsov, both having up and down seasons for different reasons, don't come in and show something extra after being able to settle in to being in North America and Rykov finally being fully healthy.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
... guys in that will have a role in the team moving beyond this season. Fogarty has a new deal, he will be on the roster as an extra. Lettieri does not and will be an UFA at season's end... Beleskey is a UFA as well. ...Nieves or O'Regan serve a similar role, so one of them will be brought in. Both will be UFA's and both can play C or W...

to my knowledge, Fogarty is not re-signed ,
per CF, all of these guys are pending UFAs
Fast, McKegg, ... Fogarty, Lettieri, O'Regan, Beleskey, ... Ebert (and Haley and Berube)
https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/rangers

i am fine with whether they go with vets in the 'taxi squad' spots,
or if they go young w some of Lias, Krav, Getts

the extra D (or 2) after Hajek seems wide open, from among Crawley, some experienced RHD (Raddysh, Ebert) or Euro prospect LHD (Rykov, Reunanen).

Last edited:

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I'd definitely want Kravtsov on the roster. Let's see what he has in camp. He has more talent than Nieves and Belesky. Yes, he may not be ready, but with the time off, and another shorter camp he may show something. Being able to add some real talent to the roster would make them more dangerous. At least take a look.
Yes
I remember in camp all the writers, staff & such were raving about Kravtsov and how he looked better than Kakko

Reactions: McSauer

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
This is the point I've been trying to make, though. You don't carry four or five guys because you're realistically going four or five deep due to injuries. Nieves and Fogarty are primarily centers, Beleskey and Lettieri are primarily wingers. So right there you're not four deep, you're two deep on subs depending on forwards and wingers. And then, the two centers play differently than each other, as do the wings. So if an offensively-oriented wing gets injured, you to to Lettieri. If it's a grinder, you go with Beleskey. Hell depending on match ups, you may go Beleskey over PDG even without injury.

It's just like having a bench in baseball. Each guy on the bench has a role. If you need a defensive replacement in CF late in the game, it's nice to have that guy on the bench instead of some plodding corner OF who is there to slug and not field. This is the closest NHL teams will probably ever have to an actual bench where they could strategically deploy extra players, so I think it's smart to plan accordingly.
We already have some of that flexibility in the lineup with guys who can play wing or center. Keep the most talent you can.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Fogarty and Nieves are your backup centers. And they both bring different things, and I could understand if you needed a C to step in why you'd pick one over the other. Fogarty is more of a battler, big, strong, wins corners battles, etc. Nieves, they've always liked him for his speed and the theoretical puck skills he brings (which never really materialize, but are always tempting). I think you have to take these two.

Beleskey I would think would have been a frequent spare on the team if not for his cap hit. The cap hit is the biggest reason he never got a look this year, IMO. He's not what he once was, but I think he's still effective enough to bring that gritty, grinding element on the wing that is valued in the playoffs.

Lettieri is the best AHL player on the list, and if they think he still could possibly contribute in an NHL role, he's a no-brainer. He brings a totally different skill set than Beleskey and the two are not interchangeable at all. You'd insert one guy if you were looking for one thing, another guy for something else. Like Beleskey is in if Lemieux is out, Lettieri you'd want if PDG or someone was out and still wanted some potential offense and creativity. So Beleskey and Lettieri might be similarly marginal in terms of their overall ability, but they have totally different uses.

Gettinger? He's an interesting case. I think his game got better as the year went on and if we were talking about next season, I would say I think he's ready to compete for a spot on the fourth line. Is he ready now? I'm not so sure. I still believe he'd make more of an impact in a game than Kravtsov, but I do understand why you'd want to bring Kravtsov for the experience.

If you brought Fogarty, Nieves, Besleskey, and Lettieri, it's unlikely you'd need Gettinger because Beleskey or even Fogarty on the wing (which he can do) could mostly accomplish the same role. The only other player I'd consider is O'Regan, who while lacking Nieves' size, works really hard, and plays a good two-way game. He also brings a bit of NHL experience, and at least some AHL playoff experience--which none of the other guys save Beleskey can claim.

So for me, it' going to be Nieves, Beleskey, Fogarty, Lettieri, as locks, and in that order of need and what they uniquely bring. Then it's a toss-up on Gettinger or Kravtsov, depending on whether the team would anticipate having to go that far down. O'Regan is a wildcard because while he's kind of the lost man in this group, he's an energy guy with some experience.

I've decided with Andersson that unless he actively lobbies to be included, he can stay home. IMO.

Lastly--until the roster size is negotiated and confirmed, this is all fluid.

The thing with Gettinger is he's huge and is a pretty good skater with decent hands. For me he and Nieves would be the two that I would be most inclined to use if someone or two were to get hurt. His skating is better than Fogarty's and he's fine to battle for pucks along the walls and in the corners and his reach would come into good use on the penalty kill. Nieves is the most experienced of the group. He's got like 80 NHL games. Excellent size and strength and a great skater with pretty good defensive awareness--we're not likely to get any offensive production out of any of them so I see them strictly as how they might fit into 4th line and grind for pucks situations. The way I'd rank them:

1. Nieves
2. Gettinger
3. Fogarty
4. Beleskey
5. Lettieri (he's not going to get top 6 or power play time we've sustained several injuries and I see all the others as better 4th line options which would be the same issue with O'Regan)
6. Kravtsov--more or less to have him with the team.
7. O'Regan

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
We already have some of that flexibility in the lineup with guys who can play wing or center. Keep the most talent you can.
"Keep the most talent that you can" doesn't address my logic for why I bring Nieves, Fogarty, Beleskey, and Lettieri. I bring those guys because they allow you to maintain the flexibility we already have. Like, yeah, Chytil can play C or W, but if he's playing well and someone else goes out, why move Chytil when you can plug in someone directly into the now-open spot? No reason to shuffle guys if you have extras to plug into the vacant spot, or if you can elevate someone else and plug in the spare. Flexibility is good, bringing those four forwards actually reinforces your flexibility. Minimizes the need to shuffle.

To the talent standpoint--sure, if Kravtsov blows the doors off the joint in camp, he can come ahead of Lettieri or whatever. I'm not trying to keep talent off the team. I just thought Kravtsov was underwhelming even after he came back and didn't look at all ready for the NHL, let alone in the playoffs. I thought Rykov ranged from pretty good to pretty bad. Reunanen may have more "talent" than a Darren Raddysh or Brandon Crawley, but he has never even played in North America. That would be a big gamble bringing him.

IDK. We have four forwards, five if you include Gettinger, that would all serve somewhat distinct roles. I think they're pretty easy calls.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The thing with Gettinger is he's huge and is a pretty good skater with decent hands. For me he and Nieves would be the two that I would be most inclined to use if someone or two were to get hurt. His skating is better than Fogarty's and he's fine to battle for pucks along the walls and in the corners and his reach would come into good use on the penalty kill. Nieves is the most experienced of the group. He's got like 80 NHL games. Excellent size and strength and a great skater with pretty good defensive awareness--we're not likely to get any offensive production out of any of them so I see them strictly as how they might fit into 4th line and grind for pucks situations. The way I'd rank them:

1. Nieves
2. Gettinger
3. Fogarty
4. Beleskey
5. Lettieri (he's not going to get top 6 or power play time we've sustained several injuries and I see all the others as better 4th line options which would be the same issue with O'Regan)
6. Kravtsov--more or less to have him with the team.
7. O'Regan
I agree, with the exception of Gettinger being a better skater than Fogarty. Gettinger covers good ground, but he's choppy and lacks agility. Fogarty is a pretty good skater across the board.

Fair point on Lettieri.

Reactions: eco's bones

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Nieves and Fogs could be slotted on the wing if necessary and since Beleskey was acquired there's been absolutely no indications that he hasn't been considered to being called up. Even something from the front office that would directly indicate that his contract was the only reason for him not being called up. If I had to go with 4 forward it would be Nieves, Fogs, Getts and Lettieri. Add Kravtsov for development.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I agree, with the exception of Gettinger being a better skater than Fogarty. Gettinger covers good ground, but he's choppy and lacks agility. Fogarty is a pretty good skater across the board.

Fair point on Lettieri.

Fogarty's skating reminds me a bit of Hrivik. He doesn't have an extra gear. He works and is a great team player. Gettinger's got that longer stride that taller players almost always have. They don't tend to take as many steps. He's also got a tremendous wingspan. Hard to get around a player like that.

and 99 others

la la la la la la la... a little bit alexis
Jul 27, 2011
am i the only one here who seriously doubts the rangers make it out of the qualifying series? The canes will win more faceoffs, outskate and outforecheck the Rangers, and have 7 healthy defenseman who could easily slot in the Rangers top 4.

Only weakness is goaltending but it won't matter if the Canes are putting up 40-45 shots per game. How much faith are we putting in Shesterkin to make 38+ saves a night in a short-succession best of 5 series?

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I dont doubt because i am a fan.
So i believe NYR can win the series if they earn it
But it wont be easy, Canes are a talented and aggressive team.
I think NYR have decent chance to advance, if not sloppy and get good performances from throughout the lineup.
But they also could get steamrolled.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I dont doubt because i am a fan.
So i believe NYR can win the series if they earn it
But it wont be easy, Canes are a talented and aggressive team.
I think NYR have decent chance to advance, if not sloppy and get good performances from tbroughout the lineup.
But they also could get steamrolled.

being a fan is why i doubt :naughty:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
am i the only one here who seriously doubts the rangers make it out of the qualifying series? The canes will win more faceoffs, outskate and outforecheck the Rangers, and have 7 healthy defenseman who could easily slot in the Rangers top 4.

Only weakness is goaltending but it won't matter if the Canes are putting up 40-45 shots per game. How much faith are we putting in Shesterkin to make 38+ saves a night in a short-succession best of 5 series?

I think based on regular season performance, they’re fairly evenly matched. That being said, the Canes did underperform most of the season and will be much healthier going into the series.

But, like all qualifying series, I think the most likely determining factor isn’t really about roster matchups. Whichever team can jump from off-season/training camp mode into playoff intensity the quickest will win the series. That’s true of us and the Canes. That’s true of series with even wider talent gaps, like the Pens/Habs.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Reactions: egelband

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
i'd expect the spare D to include 3 or 4 of Hajek, Rykov, Raddysh and Reunanen;
Ebert a longer shot, though he has the most pro experience
Reunanen is already under NHL contract for '19-20 so I believe he is eligible.

up front, they have 13 F's on roster (if you exclude Haley), the likely choices are 4-6 from
Beleskey, O'Regan, Lias, Lettieri, Fogarty, Nieves, Kravtsov, Gettinger ,
I don't see Gropp, Ronning, Newell, Elmer in that mix ...
I'm still trying to figure out why we even bothered acquiring Belesky. I always considered him a good fourth-liner that could fill in as a third liner. Now come playoff time, and I realize it's a long shot......but I seriously wouldn't mind having him on the fourth line. Not sure what shape he's in but if he's anything close to being on top of his physical game, again I wouldn't mind him being plugged in or the extra forward.
Carolina has some decent speed even though they have trouble scoring, so we might have to be just a little bit physical with them to slow them down. Or, we can run and Gun and see what happens. LOL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad