Series Talk: Qualifying Round: Carolina Hurricanes vs. New York Rangers

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
Win the play in series and anything is possible. Say it goes to 5 games, the winner of that play in is going to have a HUGE advantage over the teams who were idle waiting for their match up to be decided. They'll have maybe enough battle readiness to steal one or two games before the higher ranked but idle team finds its PO game conditioning and intensity. If you're riding a hot goalie as well, then the potential disadvantage of the idle higher ranked team with an ice cold goalie in the first couple of games could be huge.

If I'm interpreting this PO system correctly, then if we can knock out the Canes we could have a chance to upset in the next round as well. I hope the players have managed their conditioning and that our training camp gets them more ready physically and mentally then Carolina's camp.

What an amazing opportunity for this Rangers team.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Canes throw everything at the net. They're a good team, if not a really good team with horrid goaltending and its hard to win that way.

Rangers have a HUGE edge there. It's silly to count Carolina out but I'll be shocked if they win this series, they clearly don't want any part of the Rangers.

I wouldn't expect much out of this Ranger team beyond that though.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
I think Chytil will be way higher on the list especially after he scores 10 or 12 goals and helping to win the cup, ;-)

Also, a dream case scenario is we are up 3 games to 0 in the finals and then we allow Hank to get in there and win that final game.......just so we/we can say that he had a hand in it, HE DESERVES THAT.
If your hypothetical scenario happens and they're up 3-0, there isn't a chance in hell Quinn removes whoever has just went up 3-0 in net. No dice. Hank won't need a start for people to realize he had a hand in it. His career record and accolades speak for themselves.

Reactions: haveandare

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I've seen lots of predictions based on how much rest or how much action a team has. I don't think it matters. During a normal season some teams sleepwalk through the first 15-20 games before turning it on, and vice-versa. And that's with everyone starting the same way. I don't think it will matter if one team has more or less rest.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Canes throw everything at the net. They're a good team, if not a really good team with horrid goaltending and its hard to win that way.

Rangers have a HUGE edge there. It's silly to count Carolina out but I'll be shocked if they win this series, they clearly don't want any part of the Rangers.

If Shesterkin, Panarin, and Zib are hot, we could go on a little run. Hopefully everyone is healthy and in good shape for the start of this thing. Getting Kreider back should be a boost from where we ended the season

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

I’m down to dance with the Caps again. f*** that team. They’d give us like 15 power plays ever game.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
If Shesterkin, Panarin, and Zib are hot, we could go on a little run. Hopefully everyone is healthy and in good shape for the start of this thing. Getting Kreider back should be a boost from where we ended the season

Yeah if the PP gets hot and the goalie does then all bets are off but I still think that our bottom 6 gets owned by the better teams and then there is #18...

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Kreider isn't the point getter that Teravainen is but he's a very unique player. If we get a lot of power plays he's going to keep their defense busy and you always have to be careful when he's on the ice because he can blow on by a defense.

Kreider is not as skilled and hopefully my post wasn’t taken as if I argued otherwise but his combination of speed and size IMO compensates for this in this comparison this season.

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Kreider is not as skilled and hopefully my post wasn’t taken as if I argued otherwise but his combination of speed and size IMO compensates for this in this comparison this season.

Kreider with Zibanejad is a deadly combination. Kreider is also invaluable on our power play and even when he doesn't get points. You need net front presence and he's one of the best in the league at it. I think his all around game has improved over the last two years under Quinn. He's improved away from puck quite a lot. And then there's that speed.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
https://nypost.com/2020/06/13/rangers-islanders-are-vegas-bound-for-nhl-playoffs/

according to larry brooks, the nhl has picked vegas as one of the hub cities and the east will play there...

I'm assuming that the nhl had 2 criteria for this selection

1) with NYC not an option, which city would be the least safe for isolating players and give us the highest likelihood of an outbreak?
2) which city has the absolute worst weather and heat for trying to play hockey in august?

based on that vegas was the clear and obvious choice.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
https://nypost.com/2020/06/13/rangers-islanders-are-vegas-bound-for-nhl-playoffs/

according to larry brooks, the nhl has picked vegas as one of the hub cities and the east will play there...

1) with NYC not an option, which city would be the least safe for isolating players and give us the highest likelihood of an outbreak?
2) which city has the absolute worst weather and heat for trying to play hockey in august?

Wouldn’t weather consideration point toward Canadian cities ahead of Vegas?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

c5f.gif

Vegas is truly an awful choice, considering pandemic circumstances. They are doing HORRENDOUSLY and are primed for a harsh second wave.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
We've seen Kreider be a factor in the 12,14,15, 17 runs. Without him coming back they lose that Pittsburgh series in 14 in 5 games. Remember in 2017 when he took over the Senators series for a game?

He can be a difference maker at times.

I’d add that in the stretch since December until the injury Kreider’s been playing the best game of his whole career.

Reactions: egelband

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Vegas would be the worst choice of they were playing outdoors. But indoors with no fans? Why is that worse than any other city? As far as Covid, isn't the plan to isolate the players and staff, etc? Apparently the league will have full control over one or two hotels and associated restaurants. No outside guests. How is that worse that what any other city can provide?

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
c5f.gif

Vegas is truly an awful choice, considering pandemic circumstances. They are doing HORRENDOUSLY and are primed for a harsh second wave.

Agreed. Don't get the Vegas choice at all. I'm not familiar with their COVID numbers, but I do know it's a popular tourist attraction and that people have been gambling there without masks.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
If they East is playing in Vegas, does that mean the local time for game starts is going to be 4-5pm? And if the West is playing in a Eastern city, will their local time for game starts be late?

Better be. I, and a lot of other fans, will be pissed if these games aren’t on normal TV times.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
If they East is playing in Vegas, does that mean the local time for game starts is going to be 4-5pm? And if the West is playing in a Eastern city, will their local time for game starts be late?

Better be. I, and a lot of other fans, will be pissed if these games aren’t on normal TV times.

the big question there is do they only play games at T-Mobile Arena or are there other rinks in the area that they can use since there are no fans and you don't need to worry about capacity....assuming that they only play at the one arena, I would expect to see more of an Olympic style schedule spread through out the day. to not drag things out for 6 months, you probably are looking at something like 3 games a day.

also thinking they will alternate times between east and west games so they can clean/disinfect the benches, locker rooms etc between games. it will result in some less than ideal timeslots (unless people are still home) but putting all the games at 7pm isn't possible with 1 rink

and this would all be true regardless of time zones...

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
With no fans in the building and the doors shut the ice in Vegas will be great. That shouldn’t be a concern at all
What should be a concern is Vegas being run by a moron that doesn’t believe in any Health safety measures.

Reactions: Leetch3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad