Series Talk: Qualifying Round: Carolina Hurricanes vs. New York Rangers

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Forecasting the skaters the Rangers will carry when they...

Carp predicts the roster.

Panarin-Strome-Fast
Kreider-Zibanejad-Bucjnevich
Howden-Chytil-Kakko
Lemieux-McKegg-Gauthier

Smith-Trouba
Lindgren-Fox
Staal-DeAngelo

Lundqvist
Shesterkin
Gerogiev

Hajek
Di Giuseppe
Kravtsov
Andersson
Fogarty
Lettieri
Gettinger
Nieves
Rykov or Raddysh
Beleskey

I don't think Kravtsov or Rykov looked at all ready, but I understand why they'd want to bring them along. Otherwise, seems reasonable. Not sure they bring all 10 guys, but who knows.
Isn't the F/D balance way off?

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Isn't the F/D balance way off?
As in, not enough D?

Hajek, Raddysh, Rykov, are basically all they have. Crawley is another option, but I think the fact that they had him buried in Maine for most of the year tells you what they think about his game. Ebert is another option but he's apparently already looking to sign in Europe, so, no telling if he'd want to report. Day is gone. Not a whole lot of D to choose from.

I'd leave off one of Nieves, Andersson or even Gettinger and replace them with O'Regan, then bring Hajek, Raddysh, and Rykov.

EDIT: I do forget about Reunanen, but I think it's a tall task to ask a guy to step into the playoffs in the NHL after he has never really played in NA before. I know if it gets to him we're screwed, but still, I think you have to bring guys you'd have confidence in playing.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
As in, not enough D?

Hajek, Raddysh, Rykov, are basically all they have. Crawley is another option, but I think the fact that they had him buried in Maine for most of the year tells you what they think about his game. Ebert is another option but he's apparently already looking to sign in Europe, so, no telling if he'd want to report. Day is gone. Not a whole lot of D to choose from.

I'd leave off one of Nieves, Andersson or even Gettinger and replace them with O'Regan, then bring Hajek, Raddysh, and Rykov.

EDIT: I do forget about Reunanen, but I think it's a tall task to ask a guy to step into the playoffs in the NHL after he has never really played in NA before. I know if it gets to him we're screwed, but still, I think you have to bring guys you'd have confidence in playing.
If Hajek, Raddysh and Rykov are all they have (which I agree isn't great), they all need to be on there at a minimum. 8 D being your whole supply is scary. I'll sacrifice the 8th spare forward for another D even if the forward is a much better player.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
As in, not enough D?

So my thought is the exact opposite. The team shouldn't be in the playoffs to begin with so they're playing with house money. Why not bring up guys who have a longer term future (or hopefully have a longer term future) with the organization and use it as a small development camp.

Guys like:
Rykov
Reunanen
Hajek
Raddysh

Andersson
Kravtsov
Gettinger
Digiueseppe

I'd then look to a couple of the NCAA signees to bring them in and show them around like Khoderenko

Reactions: egelband

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
..Crawley is another option, but I think the fact that they had him buried in Maine for most of the year tells you what they think about his game...

re Crawley - his situation seems odd to me,
given he was AHL entire season his first 2 seasons,
yet he was 1st D sent to Maine, ahead of Taylor, Day...

but at the time, with Geertesn and Lindgren, they had 2 tough, D-first LHD in lineup

here are a few related citations from the ForeverBlueShirts site, one of the most active NYR sites

just sharing what they posted..

Oct 10 2019: Wolf Pack Watch: A fine start for the team, Kravtsov scratch, Chytil and Shesterkin updates - Forever Blueshirts: A site for New York Rangers fanatics
"After the Rangers trade on Monday*, the Wolf Pack completed a transaction on Tuesday to accommodate defenseman Nick Ebert....Brandon Crawley was reassigned to the Maine Mariners of the ECHL. Hartford is still carrying 8** defenseman after the roster moves."

* Namestnikov to Ott for Ebert and '21 4th
** LoVerde, Geertsen, Lindgren, Raddysh, Keane, Ebert, Taylor, Day

Mar 12 2020: Scouting the Pack: Why is Hartford slumping - Forever Blueshirts: A site for New York Rangers fanatics
" Costly turnovers and a couple of questionable decisions have found Rykov a scratch in 6 of the last 8 games in favor of Brandon Crawley as his play in Maine this season had earned him a call up, and significant playing time as of late."

May 27 2020: Rangers Roundup: Playoff roster, DeAngelo Podcast, and MSG programming update - Forever Blueshirts: A site for New York Rangers fanatics
"The word surrounding the expanded rosters was confirmed to me last night by a Rangers team source. "
....It is early, but the projected additional skaters are anticipated to be:
- D, Brandon Crawley..."

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Digi will play. I think they actually ice an all Ex-Canes line. All three guys were with them last year.

Kreider-Zibs-Buch
Bread-Strome-Fast
Howden-Chytil-Kakko
Digi-McKegg-Goat

Lemeuix has to serve a suspension, and Digi imo has done enough to earn a nightly spot. Could see Howden get a scratch once Lemeuix comes back.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Assuming Lemieux isn't banished to Mars this will be his first NHL "playoffs." Interested to see how he does. Between the OHL and AHL he's 48 GP / 25 PTS / 99 PIM. So, uh . . . active. Has the potential to be a positive disruptive force, but also a negative one. I guess we'll see.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Digi will play. I think they actually ice an all Ex-Canes line. All three guys were with them last year.

Kreider-Zibs-Buch
Bread-Strome-Fast
Howden-Chytil-Kakko
Digi-McKegg-Goat

Lemeuix has to serve a suspension, and Digi imo has done enough to earn a nightly spot. Could see Howden get a scratch once Lemeuix comes back.

I don't want to run a Howden - Chytil - Kakko line in the playoffs. In fact I want to separate Chytil and Kakko if possible.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I don't want to run a Howden - Chytil - Kakko line in the playoffs. In fact I want to separate Chytil and Kakko if possible.

They might get 6-10 minutes a night. Guess is that they will be glued to the bench with a lead as well. Hell I could see Kakko getting healthy scratched.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I like the current rotation where the Mets finish as the Rangers start, then the Rangers post season goes along with the start of baseball.

But if baseball is going to shoot itself in the foot, then bring on some summer hockey.

Reactions: egelband and nyr2k2

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Does anyone else kind of like the idea of summer hockey? Usually, summer for me is boring because I don't like baseball.
not really but this summer, yeah definitely I'm all for it. Baseball is boring but it is THE summer sport. I love baseball and all it stands for. I just can't sit through a full game.

Reactions: Chytilmania

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If it's 28 players and unlimited goalies:

1. Artemi Panarin
2. Mika Zibanejad
3. Chris Kreider
4. Pavel Buchnevich
5. Ryan Strome
6. Filip Chytil
7. Jesper Fast
8. Brendan Lemieux
9. Kaapo Kakko
10. Brett Howden
11. Greg McKegg
12. Julien Gauthier
13. Phil DiGiuseppe
14. Jacob Trouba
15. Tony DeAngelo
16. Adam Fox
17. Ryan Lindgren
18. Marc Staal
19. Brendan Smith
20. Libor Hajek
21. Steven Fogarty
22. Boo Nieves
23. Tim Gettinger
24.Lias Andersson
25. Darren Raddysh
26. Yegor Rykov
27. Vinni Lettieri
28. Vitali Kravtsov

1. Igor Shesterkin
2. Alexandar Georgiev
3. Henrik Lundqvist
4. Adam Huska

If a player (s) is out I'd replace with the following:

1. Brandon Crawley
2. Danny O'Regan
3. Matt Beleskey

I would absolutely have Nieves and Gettinger on this team. To me Kravtsov is probably the least ready for this tournament. If we have to dig deep for forward replacements because of injury Nieves and Gettinger are better skaters than Fogarty or Andersson and probably Lettieri as well. They also have size and the strength to grind and not be overmatched physically very often and Nieves has the most NHL experience of the whole batch. If forced to go that route I'm not looking for goals or points from our extras. I'm looking for guys who are most likely to end any given night without a minus and who can help the penalty kill.

Reactions: nyr2k2

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
What does baseball stand for?

Baseball is nostalgia. And why an older guy like me, prefers it without a lot of changes. It's warm summer nights, or a hot afternoon, cold beer, hot dogs, discussing old time players, comparing stats across decades. Well some of that you could do more easily if they weren't blaring music over the sound system non-stop. We were a baseball family first. I became the big hockey fan. But I still look forward to the long baseball season, a game on every night. For me it's a nice contrast to the winter nights and the action of hockey.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If it's 28 players and unlimited goalies:

1. Artemi Panarin
2. Mika Zibanejad
3. Chris Kreider
4. Pavel Buchnevich
5. Ryan Strome
6. Filip Chytil
7. Jesper Fast
8. Brendan Lemieux
9. Kaapo Kakko
10. Brett Howden
11. Greg McKegg
12. Julien Gauthier
13. Phil DiGiuseppe
14. Jacob Trouba
15. Tony DeAngelo
16. Adam Fox
17. Ryan Lindgren
18. Marc Staal
19. Brendan Smith
20. Libor Hajek
21. Steven Fogarty
22. Boo Nieves
23. Tim Gettinger
24.Lias Andersson
25. Darren Raddysh
26. Yegor Rykov
27. Vinni Lettieri
28. Vitali Kravtsov

1. Igor Shesterkin
2. Alexandar Georgiev
3. Henrik Lundqvist
4. Adam Huska

If a player (s) is out I'd replace with the following:

1. Brandon Crawley
2. Danny O'Regan
3. Matt Beleskey

I would absolutely have Nieves and Gettinger on this team. To me Kravtsov is probably the least ready for this tournament. If we have to dig deep for forward replacements because of injury Nieves and Gettinger are better skaters than Fogarty or Andersson and probably Lettieri as well. They also have size and the strength to grind and not be overmatched physically very often and Nieves has the most NHL experience of the whole batch. If forced to go that route I'm not looking for goals or points from our extras. I'm looking for guys who are most likely to end any given night without a minus and who can help the penalty kill.
I would take O'Regan and Beleskey over Kravtsov if it came down to it. Kravtsov just isn't ready, IMO. I don't know that he'd be able to contribute anything. O'Regan and Beleskey are both marginal at best, but I still think they're better-suited to take an occasional fourth line shift.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
25-minute Staal games incoming. He's fresh and ready.

Anyone know the TV details? TIA.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
It depends on the purpose for inclusion on the expanded roster. I don’t think the guy 9th or 10th on the extras list is going to see any games at all, whether their name is Kravtsov or not. I’d use at least 1 or 2 slots on guys who could get something out of the experience of being around the team during the tournament. It’s a development opportunity.

I’ll put it another way. Any team that has 5 or more injuries to their skaters isn’t going anywhere anyway.

Reactions: kovazub94

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It depends on the purpose for inclusion on the expanded roster. I don’t think the guy 9th or 10th on the extras list is going to see any games at all, whether their name is Kravtsov or not. I’d use at least 1 or 2 slots on guys who could get something out of the experience of being around the team during the tournament. It’s a development opportunity.

I’ll put it another way. Any team that has 5 or more injuries to their skaters isn’t going anywhere anyway.
Sure, but it also depends on how a team plans on using that extras list. Just because we list Nieves first and Beleskey last, doesn't mean Beleskey would be the last guy to be called upon. The team might like him in a particular game or series more than a Fogarty or Lettieri.

When I say I'd rather have player X over player Y, I'm saying it as if each guy on the spares list has a theoretically equal chance of playing. And if you look at Fogarty, Lettieri, Nieves, Andersson, Kravtsov, Beleskey, O'Regan, and Gettinger, there's really no clear "favorite" in that group other than Nieves (based on how they've used him previously). Everyone is either marginal or hasn't even really played. Not a whole lot separating them.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Sure, but it also depends on how a team plans on using that extras list. Just because we list Nieves first and Beleskey last, doesn't mean Beleskey would be the last guy to be called upon. The team might like him in a particular game or series more than a Fogarty or Lettieri.

When I say I'd rather have player X over player Y, I'm saying it as if each guy on the spares list has a theoretically equal chance of playing.

fair enough. Who comes in might depend on who goes down. If Chytil went down, you might use Lettieri, whereas if Lemieux went down, you might use Beleskey.

That being said, if you’re getting 10 extras slots, I think it’d be reasonable to use 8 of them on guys who might end up in actual games, and who would have an equal chance of playing, and 2 on guys who would benefit from just being included. In that way, I’d prefer Kravtsov over the two guys you mentioned for one of the slots.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
We'll see how it ends up. The numbers everyone uses aren't even official and still have to be negotiated.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I would take O'Regan and Beleskey over Kravtsov if it came down to it. Kravtsov just isn't ready, IMO. I don't know that he'd be able to contribute anything. O'Regan and Beleskey are both marginal at best, but I still think they're better-suited to take an occasional fourth line shift.

Ideally if we need to use any of them we need guys who can do grunt and grind work. If someone off of our top two lines got hurt I would expect Chytil or Kakko to move up and a realignment of the other lines around the most defensively sound forwards we have left.

As far as Kravtsov--he's a very important piece of our future. That's why I wouldn't leave him out. Otherwise I'd agree on O'Regan or Beleskey. Vitali and Lias seemed the most adversely affected of those who were demoted to Hartford early in the season and saying that who knows if Lias will be coming back so one of O'Regan/Beleskey might be there anyway. I think Beleskey has an issue keeping pace but is strong, can grind and play mean.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->