Series Talk: Qualifying Round: Carolina Hurricanes vs. New York Rangers

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Oh? Hey, look at my original post:

"Counterpoint: if we win the Cup it might be the greatest Stanley Cup win ever as it will have taken an extra round to do it."

Freaky how that works, eh?

Good point. I think I was seeing the reactions and thinking we were discussing playoffs vs not.

On the other hand, it’s really a wash. Yeah, it took an extra round, but it also came with 12 less than the full number of regular season games.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
To be fair, Carolina hasn't won at MSG in years.
They don't beat us down there much either.

Of course, I remember the Yankees meeting the Indians in 2007 thinking it was a sure thing because we owned them for years. They ran us off the field. The playoffs start 0-0.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
coach quinn with a message for carolina :)

That actually strikes me as a really weird thing to say. I mean, why bring that up? Any objections that the Hurricanes have levelled have been in the context of the game of hockey. Like, is nothing allowed to be unfair because of COVID-19? He acknowledges at the end that it's fairness in the context of the sport, soooo. I don't know. I mean he could have just said, "Vally, first I'd like to take a moment to thank first responders, send my condolences, blah blah" but instead he turns it into a weird and unnecessary shot at Carolina.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
That actually strikes me as a really weird thing to say. I mean, why bring that up? Any objections that the Hurricanes have levelled have been in the context of the game of hockey. Like, is nothing allowed to be unfair because of COVID-19? He acknowledges at the end that it's fairness in the context of the sport, soooo. I don't know. I mean he could have just said, "Vally, first I'd like to take a moment to thank first responders, send my condolences, blah blah" but instead he turns it into a weird and unnecessary shot at Carolina.
Fair point. Apples and oranges.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Carolina should rightfully be called out for the whiners they are, and it will make defeating them ever more sweet.

Hockey Gamer

Mar 2, 2015
I think Quinn's response was more of an attempt to point out that Carolina's whining is basically a moot point that also couldn't really come at a worse time.

Fairness, as he points out can very much be a subjective notion that just creates an endless circle jerk between two or parties with no progress or point ever getting reached.

As far as I'm concerned, every team goes into a season with the risk of an unknown event upending it. No team is ever privy to such circumstances. If you're going to cry about an unforeseen event that impacts every team and city and try to make a case that you should receive more charity or merit, than you shouldn't have signed up to undergo a bid in your vying for a Stanley Cup. The unpredictable circumstances that have led to this new formatting is something that every team is subject to and thus, no one was discriminated more or less.

People nowadays get the concept of "not having it your way" and "fairness" mixed up. Simply because the cookie doesn't crumble in your most favorable or opportunistic way, doesn't mean things were never fair. These two concepts are not the same thing.

Carolina can complain all they want but to play the theatrical act of "OMG THIS IS NOT FFFAAAIIIRRRR" is sort of a joke given the fact that every team was subject to this unknowingly and they're confusing the concept of "not having it their way" v.s. "fairness" when the word "fairness" can be applied to things much more important right now.

I think another gist that Quinn was getting at was that, we as fans and them as professionals should just be grateful that a season was salvaged to some degree. To split hairs at this point about fairness is somewhat of a pointless and immature exercise. I could see Carolina's point if the league knew that this was going to happen all along and this was a conspiracy plot to cheat them out of a more advantageous route to the cup but I doubt that is the case, so, if they're really going to cry about this then they shouldn't have signed up for this season.

And Im sure there are many people that disagree with my idea of fairness but that just strengthens my point about the subjectivity and somewhat pointless nature of putting on a hysterical act of clamoring about victimhood and fairness in response to these unforeseen circumstances that everyone's at the mercy of.

Hockey Gamer

Mar 2, 2015
Quinn's response should've just been "if Brindy is so upset and everything, then he should've just won more games. He had control over that right? He should've won more and then he wouldn't be in this position. To Brindy - you should've won more games bro. Try harder next time. I can give you tips if you need.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I think Quinn's response was more of an attempt to point out that Carolina's whining is basically a moot point that also couldn't really come at a worse time.

Fairness, as he points out can very much be a subjective notion that just creates an endless circle jerk between two or parties with no progress or point ever getting reached.

As far as I'm concerned, every team goes into a season with the risk of an unknown event upending it. No team is ever privy to such circumstances. If you're going to cry about an unforeseen event that impacts every team and city and try to make a case that you should receive more charity or merit, than you shouldn't have signed up to undergo a bid in your vying for a Stanley Cup. The unpredictable circumstances that have led to this new formatting is something that every team is subject to and thus, no one was discriminated more or less.

People nowadays get the concept of "not having it your way" and "fairness" mixed up. Simply because the cookie doesn't crumble in your most favorable or opportunistic way, doesn't mean things were never fair. These two concepts are not the same thing.

Carolina can complain all they want but to play the theatrical act of "OMG THIS IS NOT FFFAAAIIIRRRR" is sort of a joke given the fact that every team was subject to this unknowingly and they're confusing the concept of "not having it their way" v.s. "fairness" when the word "fairness" can be applied to things much more important right now.

I think another gist that Quinn was getting at was that, we as fans and them as professionals should just be grateful that a season was salvaged to some degree. To split hairs at this point about fairness is somewhat of a pointless and immature exercise. I could see Carolina's point if the league knew that this was going to happen all along and this was a conspiracy plot to cheat them out of a more advantageous route to the cup but I doubt that is the case, so, if they're really going to cry about this then they shouldn't have signed up for this season.

And Im sure there are many people that disagree with my idea of fairness but that just strengthens my point about the subjectivity and somewhat pointless nature of putting on a hysterical act of clamoring about victimhood and fairness in response to these unforeseen circumstances that everyone's at the mercy of.
Carolina wasn’t exactly hysterically objecting. They wanted a different structure. They voted against this structure. And they lost the vote. They’re fine with it and moving forward. Let’s not make them out to be heartless monsters.

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
Egelband - I couldn't agree more. Why make them out to be heartless monsters when we can make them out to be whiny beatches. Can the league just pick some cities and play a few games so we have real hockey related stuff to pick apart...August 1 is a long way from now.

Reactions: egelband

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Chalk me up as someone who would have just preferred them putting the kibosh on the rest of 19-20. Seems as if focus should have shifted to making 20-21 happen as safely, quickly, and as soon as possible.

And maybe I’m just being a doof, but a cup win at this point would feel...cheap? Idk.

No, not me.....ANY HOCKEY is better than none at all. I wouldnt be quick as to calling you a doof, but I dont see how anyone could regard it as "cheap".
Any team that was running on all 8 cylinders prior to the halt, will have lost it, and any team that made snuck in "might feel fortunate".......so, if not anything else.....it might have evened the playing field a bit. (IMO) It probably will be the most memorable of all PO's, and certainly a trivia question in due time. But hardly, cheap.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Furthermore, I dont see us as a "quick exit", but if that does happen, the experience gained will be quite worth it. Getting their PO feet wet, is HUGE. Just kind of wish Nils and k'Andre were here already for that taste. Needless to say, will be great for Fox, Tony D., Lindgren and especially Shesty.

Come to think of it......for Strome as well. Dont think he has ever been to the dance. He plays well, might solidify his next contract.

Reactions: egelband

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I'd forgotten about Brendan Lemieux----that he was looking at a suspension for a hit he made on Joonas Donskoi in the last game we played before the shutdown against Colorado. It's that classic blindside shoulder to head hit where you come from around back of the player that almost always gets at least a couple games and sometimes something fairly lengthy. I don't know if we can count on him in our lineup against Carolina unless maybe it goes 4 or 5 games--he's been previously suspended before which doesn't help either. The NHL might just suspend him for the series.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Forecasting the skaters the Rangers will carry when they...

Carp predicts the roster.

Panarin-Strome-Fast
Kreider-Zibanejad-Bucjnevich
Howden-Chytil-Kakko
Lemieux-McKegg-Gauthier

Smith-Trouba
Lindgren-Fox
Staal-DeAngelo

Lundqvist
Shesterkin
Gerogiev

Hajek
Di Giuseppe
Kravtsov
Andersson
Fogarty
Lettieri
Gettinger
Nieves
Rykov or Raddysh
Beleskey

I don't think Kravtsov or Rykov looked at all ready, but I understand why they'd want to bring them along. Otherwise, seems reasonable. Not sure they bring all 10 guys, but who knows.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Forecasting the skaters the Rangers will carry when they...
Carp predicts the roster.
Panarin-Strome-Fast Kreider-Zibanejad-Bucjnevich
Howden-Chytil-Kakko Lemieux-McKegg-Gauthier
Smith-Trouba Lindgren-Fox Staal-DeAngelo
Di Giuseppe Kravtsov Andersson
Fogarty Lettieri Gettinger Nieves
Beleskey
Hajek Rykov or Raddysh

Lundqvist Shesterkin Gerogiev
I don't think Kravtsov or Rykov looked at all ready, but I understand why they'd want to bring them along. Otherwise, seems reasonable...

pretty conservative, logical gues-timate list
I could see Crawley or Reunanen in a slot, maybe over Rykov, as more ready to contribute immediately if needed,
or longer-shot, Barron, if the contested topic, of signing/using guys from the reserved list, resolves in the PA's favor
also not far -fetched if ORegan snuck in, given 3 years playing under coach Quinn @BU

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
pretty conservative, logical gues-timate list
I could see Crawley or Reunanen in a slot, maybe over Rykov, as more ready to contribute immediately if needed,
or longer-shot, Barron, if the contested topic, of signing/using guys from the reserved list, resolves in the PA's favor
also not far -fetched if ORegan snuck in, given 3 years playing under coach Quinn @BU
I could totally see O'Regan being there instead of a Kravtsov or Andersson.

Carp also said that if the NHLPA prevails and recently-signed picks are allowed to be added, that he think Barron would have a really good shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad