Proposal: Q. Hughes to NJ

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Find it yourself....and there's more to it than just putting up points, these guys are defensemen ya know...
The comments made were about production, how Smith doesnt hold a candle to Hughes offensively. Thats why I brought up scoring in the first place.

And there likely isnt one and even if there was itd need to be 2x for Hughes to match Smith's production

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Find it yourself....and there's more to it than just putting up points, these guys are defensemen ya know...
You do realize Smith is the current and projected better defender between the two? Do you really want to bring defense into this equation?

Also I posted the NHLe of both players last year, Smith had slightly better numbers.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Am I really reading comments that NCAA production is similar to WHL production?

I mean I like Smith as a prospect, but that isn't a piece of evidence that he's better than Hughes.

Reactions: bh53 and Steely Van

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Van should definitely do this. If Hall is still in NJ by the end of the season that pick is Lafreniere.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Am I really reading comments that NCAA production is similar to WHL production?

I mean I like Smith as a prospect, but that isn't a piece of evidence that he's better than Hughes.
Nobody is saying that, however Smith's PPG is much higher than Hughes this season. By most metrics their production was near identical.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Nucks fans are out to lunch, that Package is absolutely worth Hughes.

It CAN be worth Hughes, but whats the point of taking the risk? Mcleod is a toss in imo, hes worth like a 3rd. Smith is good but not as good of a prospect as Hughes (among most people). What if the Devils pull a 2017/2018 and makes the playoffs? Not out of the question with Jack Hughes + Hall + Hischier improving.

If Quinn is traded its for an established NHL player. Not more futures.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Hughes had the better statistical season. PPG as a 19 year old in the NCAA >> Smith's PPG in the WHL.
Based on what? Evidence is against you on this one. Smiyh had a 1.21 PPG in WHL which equates to 32 NHLe points. Hughes had 1.03 PPG which equates to 31 NHLe points. Smith is also a 00 while Hughes is a 99.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Based on what? Evidence is against you on this one. Smiyh had a 1.21 PPG in WHL which equates to 32 NHLe points. Hughes had 1.03 PPG which equates to 31 NHLe points. Smith is also a 00 while Hughes is a 99.

NHLe is a terrible stat. It doesnt take into consideration a lot of factors. It just does a simple conversion without factoring in age, position, circumstances. It is also not helpful in predicting players whose numbers are unprecedented. For example, Auston Matthews NHLe for his draft season is 45 points. Quinn Hughes led his team in scoring in the NCAA on one of the worst offensive teams. No other player was near ppg besides Josh Norris who missed more than half the season. Ty Smith can be argued as an overall better dman, but definitely not a better offensive dman.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
N
I wouldn't trade Makar for that proposal. Hughes is in the same tier. I'm not sure they are overrating Hughes rather you underestimating him. Hughes has 1D potential. I don't see that in Smith. Micheal McLeod and a Pick don't make up the difference between Smith and Hughes. Maybe Smith's game translate better than I'm predicting but for now it doesn't make sense for Vancouver to risk a core piece for a chance at some players that could be more valuable.
Normal people in the real world don't overrate prospects that have played single digit games in the NHL the way posters here do

KovalchukFistPump

Dec 24, 2008
California
What exactly has Quinn Hughes done in the past year to take from a 7th OA pick in an average draft to the next Karlsson? He had a good year at Michigan, a bad U20 performance and 5 games in the NHL. Am I missing something?
Just HFBoards posters doing what they usually do. Lots of teenagers on this board

Reactions: Paulinvancouver

KovalchukFistPump

Dec 24, 2008
California
Okay... guess we should trade Makar for lesser pieces than. Thanks for teaching me I don't understand how GM's think.
If the Devils trade Ty Smith AND their next year first for a prospect (no matter how good), they are Ottawa level idiots. They would suck with Makar/Hughes next year, and give up a surefire top 10 pick. If they want to keep Hall and make a run, they hopefully make the playoffs. Not a hard concept to grasp as to why Devils don't do the proposed trade for Q. Hughes, or Makar.

Last edited:

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
If the Devils trade Hall AND their next year first for a prospect (no matter how good), they are Ottawa level idiots. They would suck with Makar/Hughes next year and give up a surefire top 10 pick. If they kept Hall and made a run, they hopefully make the playoffs. Not a hard concept to grasp as to why Devils don't do the proposed Hall trade for Q. Hughes, or Makar.
Neither do the Avs or Canucks... we both need #1 Defenseman and both guys are tracking that way. Watch Makar tonight. He's been outstanding I'm honestly shocked how well he's playing for making his debut in a playoff game.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Just HFBoards posters doing what they usually do. Lots of teenagers on this board
I'm betting you literally turned 20 in the last few months and that's where this pompous, high horse nonsense is coming from. Adults understand basic asset evaluation. Why trade one exceptional asset for a handful of good assets that may not amount to anything? NHL GMs have more sense than most of the posters on HFBoards, which is why a trade like this wouldn't happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad