Proposal: Q. Hughes to NJ

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
I'm betting you literally turned 20 in the last few months and that's where this pompous, high horse nonsense is coming from. Adults understand basic asset evaluation. Why trade one exceptional asset for a handful of good assets?
Try again. Check on the left, I've been here since 2008. I've been on this board long enough to notice a few trends regarding posters' value evaluations of their prospects.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Try again. Check on the left, I've been here since 2008. I've been on this board long enough to notice a few trends regarding posters' value evaluations of their prospects.
Quinn Hughes is generally regarded as one of the three best prospects in the world. Regardless of your storied experience with this forum of keyboard warriors, I'm assuming you haven't seen a plethora of mangers trade a #1 or #2 ranked prospect in the world for a collection of lesser projects?

There's a reason for that...

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
Quinn Hughes is generally regarded as one of the three best prospects in the world. Regardless of your storied experience with this forum of keyboard warriors, I'm assuming you haven't seen a plethora of mangers trade a #1 or #2 ranked prospect in the world for a collection of lesser projects?

Agreed. Sorry, I actually got confused with a Canucks fan in a separate thread that made the offer of Taylor Hall + next year's pick for Quinn Hughes. It wasn't here - I think it was on the Devils board or a different thread.

The proposal in the OP is decent. I don't see either side making it though. From the Devils' standpoint, Q Hughes is better than Ty Smith but probably not worth risking giving up next year's 1st.

Reactions: wetcoast

Canucks777

Jun 17, 2018
All these Hughes reunion proposals are unrealistic and stupid. Although that package of Smith+ is not an awful offer in terms of cumulative value. But if you want Hughes you need to give up one equal or greater piece. Not a chance this deal for players of lesser value gets done. Quality over quantity. Not to be a dick but nothing else on New Jersey can help the Canucks in a realistic deal.

Cquant

May 14, 2015
Smith for Juolevi, 1st, and Lind
Smith for Juolevi, 10th OA and Lind? Isn't that like a crazy overpayment? I like Smith, but his value hasn't grown to that degree. It doesn't make sense to sell low on Juolevi either. He deserves a chance first.

Quinn Hughes is staying in Vancouver. If a team acquires one brother, they may feel tempted to acquire Luke Hughes very soon too. That's just bleeding assets if you have to overpay constantly.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
everyone saying Quinton is better than Ty is ignoring Tys 3 points in 5 games to Hughes 2 points in 7 at the u20s

Get your head out of....the sand, nucks fans

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
There's no way it's this certain. The Devils are not an awful team. Some depth, prime Taylor Hall, an older Hischier, plus add in Hughes, and this team could be anywhere next year. Who thought Calgary would pick 25-30 this year? Who thought Columbus would make the playoffs and potentially beat TB? And NYI would make the playoffs and potentially beat Pittsburgh? Three teams that could all pick 25-31 (ignoring trades). No one predicted that.

Columbus and Calgary have way more talent than the Devils do and NYI (they probably have more top to bottom talent than NJ as well) had a coaching change which was successful.

I don't see any of those 3 things in New Jersey.

Hischier is a great young talent but is only 20 and not really ready for 1C duties.

Zajac isn't a good #2 center and will be 34 next year, maybe Zacha takes a step forward?

Hall is injury prone and after him the winger situation in New Jersey is probably one of the worst in the NHL.

The back end is a mess as well and goaltending is at best average.

All of that goes to my prediction that they have a 85ish% chance of having another top 10 pick next year.

Even if they got Quinn added to the mix many of those other problems would need to be overcome with little indicating that it is likely to happen.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Smith for Juolevi, 1st, and Lind

Lind has zero trade value, in fact most teams wouldn't want to give up a contract spot for him.

Sad but true it's Hunter 2.0 with him.

Juolevi has had a really poor development path since being drafted, the jury is still out if he can even be a top 4 Dman in the NHL.

Smith is a good young prospect and next year's first might be worth it but the Devils don't make this dea unless they know where that pick is.

Or maybe they think they can make a reclamation project out of Juolevi but he is close to bust territory.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Columbus and Calgary have way more talent than the Devils do and NYI (they probably have more top to bottom talent than NJ as well) had a coaching change which was successful.

I don't see any of those 3 things in New Jersey.

Hischier is a great young talent but is only 20 and not really ready for 1C duties.

Zajac isn't a good #2 center and will be 34 next year, maybe Zacha takes a step forward?

Hall is injury prone and after him the winger situation in New Jersey is probably one of the worst in the NHL.

The back end is a mess as well and goaltending is at best average.

All of that goes to my prediction that they have a 85ish% chance of having another top 10 pick next year.

Even if they got Quinn added to the mix many of those other problems would need to be overcome with little indicating that it is likely to happen.

Bratt and Palmeiri are not crap. Wood and Coleman are great bottom 6 wingers. Boqvist looks like he might be a top 6 winger. Winger depth isn’t the best in the league but it’s far from the worst.

On defense you have Ty Smith and Jeremy Davies probably joining the team next season. Reilly Walsh probably isn’t too far behind.

Blackwood looks like a legit starting goaltender.

They made a miracle run to the playoffs last year with a much worse team. They’re going to be adding a lot more talent next season. Shero can also make some trades or free agent pick ups too with all of the cap space they’ll have.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
everyone saying Quinton is better than Ty is ignoring Tys 3 points in 5 games to Hughes 2 points in 7 at the u20s

Using a small sample of games and stats to prove that a certain player is better than another is ridiculous.
Quinton is better.
Jack and the first pick aside, if Benning calls shero up and says, I’ll give you Hughes for smith, you take that deal.
I’m not saying that there isn’t a chance that smith could be better. He possible could be.
But Hughes is better. IMO and probably the opinion of 97% of people. If you want to say smith is better you need a better arguement than 5 games.
And I am a devil fan.

Reactions: bh53 and Cogburn

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia

the world juniors has always been a f***ing awful way to evaluate hockey players

i don't even think there's much of a gap at all but these arguments are always stupid

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
Ty Smith is a f***ing beast and the Devils should keep him.

Just keep Jack happy and he'll recruit Quinn in a decade when he's a UFA.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016

Top 3 in the world? Lol he’s not even clearly top 10 in his draft class.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Bratt and Palmeiri are not crap. Wood and Coleman are great bottom 6 wingers. Boqvist looks like he might be a top 6 winger. Winger depth isn’t the best in the league but it’s far from the worst.

On defense you have Ty Smith and Jeremy Davies probably joining the team next season. Reilly Walsh probably isn’t too far behind.

Blackwood looks like a legit starting goaltender.

They made a miracle run to the playoffs last year with a much worse team. They’re going to be adding a lot more talent next season. Shero can also make some trades or free agent pick ups too with all of the cap space they’ll have.

They are in the bottom 20% of wingers (Hall's inabilty to stay healthy is the main reason, even if healthy they are simply middle of the road) in the NHL, same with centers and Dmen.

Sure Smith and Davies will help but there will be growing pains to be sure on that back end.

Also being a legit starting goaltender and a difference maker is a huge difference.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017

Lmao probably the same tournament that made NJ scouts love Hischier more than Pettersson.

Ty Smith is good but he isnt on same level as Q Hughes.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Top 3 in the world? Lol he’s not even clearly top 10 in his draft class.
You don't have to resort to making ridiculously stupid statements at the expense of making a point. If you don't think Quinn Hughes is a top 3 prospect (even though most people around the league would disagree with you), that's one thing. Spewing nonense is another.

Reactions: bh53

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We did this with the Staal's.

Everyone get ready for this proposals to be recycled for the next 15-20 years.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Quinn is a good prospect but good God. How about we just develop Ty Smith and see how he turns out. I have no interest in giving up multiple assets for another defensive prospect. Would rather look to a player like Subban who would actually help us next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad