Confirmed with Link: Puljujarvi signs 1 year deal with Karpat, Liiga

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
He's not a very smooth talker, that's for sure. But he was also downright depressed at the time. The Kärpät coach talked a lot about Jesse's mental state and how the main goal was to get him enjoy his life once more and after that enjoy playing hockey too. He was overwhelmed and for some reason convinced that he couldn't get it going in Edmonton anymore.

Of course that probably means his mental toughness levels aren't as high as you'd want them to be. Not everybody is strong like that. I just hate to see him painted as this arrogant prick that he is definitely not. He's not mature, sure, but he never says bad things about anybody. All things considered, coming back to Finland was most likely the best decision in that situation.

I agree. Hopefully he finds his game and his happiness back in Finland.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Liiga is really not that bad of a league and it's pretty obvious when you look at the guys who have come over in recent times and how well they've done in the NHL. Kotkaniemi came right out of the draft. Heinola and Laine did as well. Heiskanen and Aho both came over as 19 year olds and immediately had an impact. Rantanen lit up the AHL post-draft and quickly became a star player too. These guys wouldn't be able to come over and be that good right away if Liiga wasn't a good league. It's not the NHL but it's not a bad league at all.
it's also not necessarily true that an NHL talent should immediately dominate that league with Gretzky like numbers. And, it is a different game so sometimes a player can be more suited for the NHL

But for JP's case, of course everyone would know things didn't work out in the NHL for JP yet. But, they could view him as having potential still, and perhaps the best way to preserve JP's value was to have him go to Europe and do reasonably well there, rather than fall through the cracks here again.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
If Holland still hasn't gotten any serious offers and believes in the kid, now might be the time to say "sign or you'll be staying there all season". The reality is that Nuge and Neal could use some help on their left side.

f*** that. If he isn't coming to Holland begging to come back, he can rot in Europe until he changes his mind or someone overpays for him.

Especially at 5-0, dont need to have a primadonna come in and upset things. Keep this distracted entitled player that isn't even good out of our dressing room.

He made his bed, he can lie in it for awhile.

Oct 15, 2008
it's also not necessarily true that an NHL talent should immediately dominate that league with Gretzky like numbers. And, it is a different game so sometimes a player can be more suited for the NHL

But for JP's case, of course everyone would know things didn't work out in the NHL for JP yet. But, they could view him as having potential still, and perhaps the best way to preserve JP's value was to have him go to Europe and do reasonably well there, rather than fall through the cracks here again.

He quit the team. Didn’t sign his QO and demanded a trade.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Of course that probably means his mental toughness levels aren't as high as you'd want them to be. Not everybody is strong like that. I just hate to see him painted as this arrogant prick that he is definitely not. He's not mature, sure, but he never says bad things about anybody. All things considered, coming back to Finland was most likely the best decision in that situation.

I hope he does well but you can't say that anymore.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Not the same thing at all.

It would be if Trouba said trade me, refused to sign his qualifying offer and then ****ed off to Europe and signed with some team and played over there, but that’s not what happened so why even bring it up?
they were in different situations but did the same thing in principle. They went over and above to say they wanted off their team. Trouba did refuse to sign, waiting until the last minute to do so, or else give up on the NHL, while being a well established NHL talent (unlike what JP is). He even took out ads in the paper about how he needed to be off the Jets!

My point is that everything can seem like the bridge has been burned when it really isnt. The majority of fans on these boards said that Trouba would never step on the ice for the Jets again, but they were all wrong. With JP it is no different. I can even picture his carefully worded PR statement before camp next year. Something about how this current Oilers team is nothing like the one he wanted off of. He could even put the blame on Lucic, or imply it.

If JP shows up and does well, only a small minority of fans would hold onto the grudge. JP will agree to join the team because he wants to be in the NHL and doesn't want to wait years for it to happen.

Reactions: McCanovin
Oct 15, 2008
they were in different situations but did the same thing in principle. They went over and above to say they wanted off their team. Trouba did refuse to sign, waiting until the last minute to do so, or else give up on the NHL, while being a well established NHL talent (unlike what JP is). He even took out ads in the paper about how he needed to be off the Jets!

My point is that everything can seem like the bridge has been burned when it really isnt. The majority of fans on these boards said that Trouba would never step on the ice for the Jets again, but they were all wrong. With JP it is no different. I can even picture his carefully worded PR statement before camp next year. Something about how this current Oilers team is nothing like the one he wanted off of. He could even put the blame on Lucic, or imply it.

If JP shows up and does well, only a small minority of fans would hold onto the grudge. JP will agree to join the team because he wants to be in the NHL and doesn't want to wait years for it to happen.

So you’re saying that he DID sign?

Sorry that is NOT the same thing that happened here. Not even close.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
So you’re saying that he DID sign?

Sorry that is NOT the same thing that happened here. Not even close.
he signed in December, and isn't that the same thing that JP could do still? Doesn't he have some outclause for an NHL contract? But anyway, even if JP never signs this year, the principle is still the same. The exact timing is irrelevant.

But besides, these technicalities are meaningless. The point is that the player burned bridges with his team. You seem resentful towards him, and you are rightfully so, but I'm just saying that it's jumping the gun to say that the bridge is truly burned. If JP came back and did well, you would end up forgiving him.

And hey, how about this comparable if you don't like the Trouba one: Valeri Nichushkin. He also had an injury issue (much like whatever was going on with JP's hip), became unsatisfied with his role, and signed with the KHL. He stayed there 2 years. But, he came back to the Stars, and the Stars took him back, with the fans welcoming him back. That seems likely with Puljujarvi as well imo. All that needs to happen is for time to pass, and for a spot to open up, and in the NHL injuries happen. Of course, Valeri bombed in his return, and maybe that happens with JP, but maybe not.

I'm ultimately saying that unless we work something out with Seattle to take him, JP hasn't seen his last day in an Oilers jersey.

Reactions: McCanovin

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Liiga is really not that bad of a league and it's pretty obvious when you look at the guys who have come over in recent times and how well they've done in the NHL. Kotkaniemi came right out of the draft. Heinola and Laine did as well. Heiskanen and Aho both came over as 19 year olds and immediately had an impact. Rantanen lit up the AHL post-draft and quickly became a star player too. These guys wouldn't be able to come over and be that good right away if Liiga wasn't a good league. It's not the NHL but it's not a bad league at all.
Talented players passing through a league doesn't make it good.

Lol, Liiga is a pro league, which is one of the best leagues in Europe. Please watch some hockey from Liiga before speaking, I bet you’ve not watched any Liiga games this season for example. This is what we call a ”räkis” in Finland...

See above, talented 16/17/18 year olds growing and passing through a league don't indicate it's quality.

PuckNut

Oct 31, 2005
Edmonton
he signed in December, and isn't that the same thing that JP could do still? Doesn't he have some outclause for an NHL contract? But anyway, even if JP never signs this year, the principle is still the same. The exact timing is irrelevant.

But besides, these technicalities are meaningless. The point is that the player burned bridges with his team. You seem resentful towards him, and you are rightfully so, but I'm just saying that it's jumping the gun to say that the bridge is truly burned. If JP came back and did well, you would end up forgiving him.

And hey, how about this comparable if you don't like the Trouba one: Valeri Nichushkin. He also had an injury issue (much like whatever was going on with JP's hip), became unsatisfied with his role, and signed with the KHL. He stayed there 2 years. But, he came back to the Stars, and the Stars took him back, with the fans welcoming him back. That seems likely with Puljujarvi as well imo. All that needs to happen is for time to pass, and for a spot to open up, and in the NHL injuries happen. Of course, Valeri bombed in his return, and maybe that happens with JP, but maybe not.

I'm ultimately saying that unless we work something out with Seattle to take him, JP hasn't seen his last day in an Oilers jersey.

Trouba signed his contract on November 7, not December.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Talented players passing through a league doesn't make it good.

See above, talented 16/17/18 year olds growing and passing through a league don't indicate it's quality.

That argument makes no sense. Take Patrik Laine for instance. In his draft year he scored 17 goals and had 33 points in 46 games in Liiga. The next year he scored 36 (!) goals and had 64 points in NHL. So, if Liiga isn't any good he must've been a mediocre player to only amass 33 points (not even close to PPG) in that season. So he went from being a mediocre hockey player to a star over the summer months? Or maybe Liiga isn't so easy to score in and it's actually a pretty good league.

If FEL is not a good league to you I wonder if you believe there are any good hockey leagues outside of the NHL?

Reactions: LaGu

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
**** that. If he isn't coming to Holland begging to come back, he can rot in Europe until he changes his mind or someone overpays for him.

Especially at 5-0, dont need to have a primadonna come in and upset things. Keep this distracted entitled player that isn't even good out of our dressing room.

He made his bed, he can lie in it for awhile.

This is precisely what it boils down to imo. We’ve got 23 guys on the roster all fighting with all they’ve got, and a few more sitting in the AHL waiting for their shot. If he isn’t coming back hat in hand and showing he knows he screwed up, why would we want him here? Pulju had 9 points last year. It’s not like it’s a Zherdev situation where the guy can still put up 60+ points, despite the issues. Guys like Archibald and Granlund more than doubled him in points last year and have bought in. He’s not replacing them with his me first attitude

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

I just don't see it happening with JP. Too vocal. I think any which way this follows him his whole career. Which at the moment i would say is 50/50 at best is an nhl career moving forward.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
If he’s willing to go down to the AHL, and is willing to work on his game there. I’d bring him back.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If he’s willing to go down to the AHL, and is willing to work on his game there. I’d bring him back.
He wouldn't clear waivers.

I don't want him anywhere near this team. His whiny attitude wouldn't fly in the locker room anymore and Tippett would staple his ass to the press box for it.

Reactions: guymez

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
He wouldn't clear waivers.

I don't want him anywhere near this team. His whiny attitude wouldn't fly in the locker room anymore and Tippett would staple his ass to the press box for it.

He should be waiver exempt no?

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Glad he's happy. His journey has brought him home for now. He needs some mentoring...

If oil make a deal, great. If not, reevaluate next summer.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Saying PUBLICLY “either I’m traded or I go to Europe” is a shot at the city and the team.
It’s also a shot at the fans who stood up for him and the teammates who had to put up with his shtick. I don’t know why these facts are so hard for some folks to grasp. Hate your team, your city, your teammates, the coach? Wanna move along? Fine. Use the appropriate channels like a pro and stop making yourself look like an ass by crying in the media.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad