Confirmed with Link: Puljujarvi signs 1 year deal with Karpat, Liiga

bronco73

The-omb Oilers Forum
Apr 10, 2012
Lethbridge, Alberta
Personally I want to watch his fanboys squirm as they realize that he really does suck and it wasn't McDavid/McLellan/Draisaitl/Lucic/etc. dragging him down.
He doesn't suck, not at all. He didn't fit with this team last year, and it showed. Some players even requested to not be played on a line with him that's how clueless he was in Edmonton. That doesn't make him a bad player though. The language barrier was huge, he expected to be played more than he earned, and his hip issue was a massive detriment to his play. As he matures and learns that can all be put behind him. IF the Oilers continue to compete, and IF Jesse continues to play well overseas, I can actually see a slim possibility of him coming back here and working his way back into the Oilers. If not, then the best we can hope is that he continues to excel where he is to bump up his trade value.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If Holland still hasn't gotten any serious offers and believes in the kid, now might be the time to say "sign or you'll be staying there all season". The reality is that Nuge and Neal could use some help on their left side.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
seems like he's doing pretty well.

We shouldn't be sour on him, despite what he's said. The plan should be to have him in camp next season.

Although, I have to say that Seattle perhaps picking him is intriguing. Might be good just as a way to shield the rest of our team. I'm thinking we could lose a good Dman otherwise

The quality of the competition is pretty low. Some of the goals I have seen are just....bad.
I dont put a lot of meaning into Jesse scoring in that League.

Reactions: frag2

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
The BCHL has produced some great talent, doesn't make it a good league
Lol, Liiga is a pro league, which is one of the best leagues in Europe. Please watch some hockey from Liiga before speaking, I bet you’ve not watched any Liiga games this season for example. This is what we call a ”räkis” in Finland...

Reactions: Ukki

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Lol, Liiga is a pro league, which is one of the best leagues in Europe. Please watch some hockey from Liiga before speaking, I bet you’ve not watched any Liiga games this season for example. This is what we call a ”räkis” in Finland...
Its what we call "shit" in Canada.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The quality of the competition is pretty low. Some of the goals I have seen are just....bad.
But still. Seattle might like him as a potential high end talent who just needs to be pampered a bit. They might not have a complex view of him too. The expansion draft tends to overload the amount of quality depth, but not high end talent. Except, in side deals.

But even still, I disagree that his Euro performance means little. It shows that he is engaged and gaining confidence. He could still be the next Nichushkin but maybe not.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Yup.

The goalie he scored on yesterday played the last three seasons in the ECHL and averaged an .899 SV% there. Now he's leading the Liiga with a 0.98 GAA and .968 SV% through five games.

I'm not sure why people get offended when you suggest Pulju's scoring is likely more so due to a much lower level of competition when there's all kinds of evidence like the above.

Reactions: guymez

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
He doesn't suck, not at all. He didn't fit with this team last year, and it showed. Some players even requested to not be played on a line with him that's how clueless he was in Edmonton. That doesn't make him a bad player though. The language barrier was huge, he expected to be played more than he earned, and his hip issue was a massive detriment to his play. As he matures and learns that can all be put behind him. IF the Oilers continue to compete, and IF Jesse continues to play well overseas, I can actually see a slim possibility of him coming back here and working his way back into the Oilers. If not, then the best we can hope is that he continues to excel where he is to bump up his trade value.

Thats the thing. The guy doesn't want to work his way into anything. He was pretty much given 3rd line winger spot to start and he still wants out.

And his fundamentals are still poor. Bambi on ice. He has the physical tools but not much else.

Worst is his character. Doesn't want to deal with adversity head first and instead, would rather whine his way

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Yup.

The goalie he scored on yesterday played the last three seasons in the ECHL and averaged an .899 SV% there. Now he's leading the Liiga with a 0.98 GAA and .968 SV% through five games.

I'm not sure why people get offended when you suggest Pulju's scoring is likely more so due to a much lower level of competition when there's all kinds of evidence like the above.
That's interesting. I don't really follow Liiga much at all but I always saw it as a very low scoring league.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Its not a good league. Its below the AHL

Reactions: guymez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
But still. Seattle might like him as a potential high end talent who just needs to be pampered a bit. They might not have a complex view of him too. The expansion draft tends to overload the amount of quality depth, but not high end talent. Except, in side deals.

But even still, I disagree that his Euro performance means little. It shows that he is engaged and gaining confidence. He could still be the next Nichushkin but maybe not.

The level of competition matters.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Liiga is really not that bad of a league and it's pretty obvious when you look at the guys who have come over in recent times and how well they've done in the NHL. Kotkaniemi came right out of the draft. Heinola and Laine did as well. Heiskanen and Aho both came over as 19 year olds and immediately had an impact. Rantanen lit up the AHL post-draft and quickly became a star player too. These guys wouldn't be able to come over and be that good right away if Liiga wasn't a good league. It's not the NHL but it's not a bad league at all.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
Its not a good league. Its below the AHL

That's just absurd. I bet you can't find a hockey journalist with international experience to back it up. Most will say that ice hockey leagues rank like this:

1. NHL (by far)
2. KHL
3. SEL
4. Liiga
5. NLA

The AHL ranks somewhere in the top 10 but is wildly overrated by most people only following North American hockey. The soft goals Jesse has put in are indeed what they are - soft - but he also shoots more than any other player in the league and has had some bad luck as well. There are soft goals scored almost every day in the NHL as well.

I understand that Oilers fans are frustrated with Jesse and they have a good reason for that. What I don't understand is saying Jesse is a whiner or spoiled brat not willing to work his way or demanding more playing time... He must've been misquoted because he's never said anything negative about the Edmonton Oilers in the Finnish media. On the contrary, his only comments have been that the city reminded him of Finland and it was a good experience, just didn't work out...

Reactions: sleb and Ukki

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
That's just absurd. I bet you can't find a hockey journalist with international experience to back it up. Most will say that ice hockey leagues rank like this:

1. NHL (by far)
2. KHL
3. SEL
4. Liiga
5. NLA

The AHL ranks somewhere in the top 10 but is wildly overrated by most people only following North American hockey. The soft goals Jesse has put in are indeed what they are - soft - but he also shoots more than any other player in the league and has had some bad luck as well. There are soft goals scored almost every day in the NHL as well.

I understand that Oilers fans are frustrated with Jesse and they have a good reason for that. What I don't understand is saying Jesse is a whiner or spoiled brat not willing to work his way or demanding more playing time... He must've been misquoted because he's never said anything negative about the Edmonton Oilers in the Finnish media. On the contrary, his only comments have been that the city reminded him of Finland and it was a good experience, just didn't work out...
Saying PUBLICLY “either I’m traded or I go to Europe” is a shot at the city and the team.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
Saying PUBLICLY “either I’m traded or I go to Europe” is a shot at the city and the team.

He's not a very smooth talker, that's for sure. But he was also downright depressed at the time. The Kärpät coach talked a lot about Jesse's mental state and how the main goal was to get him enjoy his life once more and after that enjoy playing hockey too. He was overwhelmed and for some reason convinced that he couldn't get it going in Edmonton anymore.

Of course that probably means his mental toughness levels aren't as high as you'd want them to be. Not everybody is strong like that. I just hate to see him painted as this arrogant prick that he is definitely not. He's not mature, sure, but he never says bad things about anybody. All things considered, coming back to Finland was most likely the best decision in that situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad