Confirmed with Link: Puljujarvi signs 1 year deal with Karpat, Liiga

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Who's ahead of him in scoring is not really relevant. In all euro leagues you have a bunch of players who are excellent on bigger ice but not cut out for NA hockey. Lasch in SHL is an example, Davidsson in the past another, there are many. They have a different skill set which does not work in NA.

The point is that he is playing and producing at a good clip for playing where he is. As I have said before he may not be increasing his value (doubt he can) but he is not hurting it more than he already has. Not sure what the constant bashing here is good for really.

I think it does matter how much he scores.

If his value remains static it does nothing for his career or the Oilers. The only way going to such an inferior league works for Puljujarvi is if he has massive success and proves that the Oilers were mismanaging him and he really is a star about to bust out.

The Oilers need a roster player out of their 4th OA pick. One way or another.

Right now Puljujarvi is on pace to play the next 7 years/his whole career overseas.

I wouldn't trade anything of value for Puljujarvi right now if I were another team and I am a fan.

Right now I don't think the Oilers even take him back but I think, career wise, his best move would be to completely recant his position, beg forgiveness, and hope he can prove himself in the nhl in a depth role.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Its Hilarious that the Oilers have the best team in years the moment Puljujarvi isn't being a wet log dousing the fire.

That any player we've brought in except maybe Granlund, is playing better than pulju here is eye opening.

Whatever Pulju looks like, in anycase in Finland is very different from what he looked like here. On this continent he seemed to have a lot of struggles with culture, belonging, adjusting, being able to feel comfortable here. He rarely looked comfortable on the ice or during games. He spent half his time here looking like a distracted player with a disconnected joystick. Top players on this team tired of playing for him because he would rarely be in the right position to provide puck support and when he was he wasn't ready for a pass..

That a player like Kassian or Maroon could do better, way better in the topsix here, or even Jurco this year tells you everything. That Pulju was rarely good here. He was often one of the teams worst players.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Its Hilarious that the Oilers have the best team in years the moment Puljujarvi isn't being a wet log dousing the fire.

Ah, now it's his fault that the team has been garbage for years. As bad as he might have been his role in that was very marginal.

Top players on this team tired of playing for him because he would rarely be in the right position to provide puck support and when he was he wasn't ready for a pass..

How many games did he play with the top players (and that was really just McDavid and Draisaitl) last season?

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Ah, now it's his fault that the team has been garbage for years. As bad as he might have been his role in that was very marginal.

How many games did he play with the top players (and that was really just McDavid and Draisaitl) last season?

He had tons of time w McD and RNH over his time here. This has been covered ad nauseam

Reactions: frag2

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

IIRC, someone had numbers where it as around 50% give or take a few percentage points he had one of McDavid, Draisaitl or RNH as his center so yea he played with one of the Oilers top players and he still was junk.
Garbage player with garbage attitude.

What's with Finnish posters always attempting to absolve blame from their kind? If JP had shown anything resembling a top 5 prospect, then its justifed but he's been garbage year in year out and seemingly uncoachable.

Reactions: TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Puljus role in the team success was non existent. which was a part of the problem. Pulju didn't add anything, he wasn't particularly good at anything, and he defined no niche here whatsoever through several years of play.

Pulju's play was so much of an enigma you could watch him here for years, the whole time, and not see one facet that would suggest he was a #4 pick. I could roll down a list of the forwards we're playing now in topsix or bottomsix and tell you more about what kind of players they are and some of their strengths in just preseason and 4GP. Indeed with half a dozen of our new forwards its so indelibly evident what they do well.

What did Pulju do well here in Edmonton. Nobody can tell because its a sight unseen.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
Jesse's PDO is high because Karpat never gets scored on. They've had 4 straight shutouts, and they have given up 13 goals in 11 games (so far).

Jesse has made an impact on a good team in Liiga. That's a good thing. He doesn't have to be the Gretzky of Liiga to show that he can make a contribution, be a good player, and be trusted by his coaches and teammates. Good for him.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
IIRC, someone had numbers where it as around 50% give or take a few percentage points he had one of McDavid, Draisaitl or RNH as his center so yea he played with one of the Oilers top players and he still was junk.

You mean almost exclusively Nuge out of those three, when. Nothing against him, but when your most common line combinations are with Nuge and Khaira (15.2 percent), Lucic (9.8), or Caggiula (9.5) the "top player" narrative is laughable.

But hey, he did play all of 17 minutes with McDavid and Draisaitl thus destroying the Edmonton Oilers season.

What's with Finnish posters always attempting to absolve blame from their kind? If JP had shown anything resembling a top 5 prospect, then its justifed but he's been garbage year in year out and seemingly uncoachable.

He has made very little of his chances, but that did not seriously affect the Oilers fortunes. The kid has been hurting his own career, not the franchise.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
You mean almost exclusively Nuge out of those three, when. Nothing against him, but when your most common line combinations are with Nuge and Khaira (15.2 percent), Lucic (9.8), or Caggiula (9.5) the "top player" narrative is laughable.

But hey, he did play all of 17 minutes with McDavid and Draisaitl thus destroying the Edmonton Oilers season.

He has made very little of his chances, but that did not seriously affect the Oilers fortunes. The kid has been hurting his own career, not the franchise.

He doesn't hurt the franchise by being a garbage player on the ice? He's already a wasted 4th overall pick.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Puljus role in the team success was non existent. which was a part of the problem. Pulju didn't add anything, he wasn't particularly good at anything, and he defined no niche here whatsoever through several years of play.

That's fair and that's why he's not in town anymore, doesn't want to be, doesn't deserve to be. But he's been a non-factor in good and bad, one pair of hands out of many that didn't make it. I think the blame game is nonsensical and it's just time to move on, now he's even restoring some sort of trade value so why be sour.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
He doesn't hurt the franchise by being a garbage player on the ice? He's already a wasted 4th overall pick.

Less so than a guy like Colby Cave who got similar ice time. But no one talks about him because he wasn't a 4st overall pick. Yet being a 4th overall is not on Puljujärvi but solely on the organization.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That's fair and that's why he's not in town anymore, doesn't want to be, doesn't deserve to be. But he's been a non-factor in good and bad, one pair of hands out of many that didn't make it. I think the blame game is nonsensical and it's just time to move on, now he's even restoring some sort of trade value so why be sour.

Far be it from us to be sour. The Oilers are 5-0 now by playing as a team with everybody rowing. Pulju never wanted to be part of that and nearly any hockey pundit was saying he's asinine not to come back here with new Coaching and Management and an improved team. Maybe he was scared he would he get bumped into the pressbox.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Far be it from us to be sour. The Oilers are 5-0 now by playing as a team with everybody rowing. Pulju never wanted to be part of that and nearly any hockey pundit was saying he's asinine not to come back here with new Coaching and Management and an improved team. Maybe he was scared he would he get bumped into the pressbox.
Then why you acting so incredibly sour? Every post you have made in this thread, and continue to make is something you’d expect from a jilted ex-girlfriend on Facebook. Maybe some self reflection is required. You’re incredibly sour, yet claim there’s no reason to be???

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Then why you acting so incredibly sour? Every post you have made in this thread, and continue to make is something you’d expect from a jilted ex-girlfriend on Facebook. Maybe some self reflection is required. You’re incredibly sour, yet claim there’s no reason to be???

I'm enormously happy with the Oilers. Pulju is not an Oiler right now and I have no trouble taking a few shots at him for it.

I'm OK with neither Lucic or Pulju being part of this success, because neither of them deserve to be.

Reactions: McLovin

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Yeah the impact that a 4th overall should be having in his draft +4 season is significant. That player should be a impact top 6 forward or top 4 Dman by now. Instead he’s floating around in Finland being less than impressive.

Reactions: frag2 and Aerchon

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I'm enormously happy with the Oilers. Pulju is not an Oiler right now and I have no trouble taking a few shots at him for it.

I'm OK with neither Lucic or Pulju being part of this success, because neither of them deserve to be.

then why are you so sour? Or was my jilted ex-gf comment accurate?

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Another good example of why not to read into the points he's getting over there.

The goaltending in that league is horrific.
The guy scores with an NHL release and there's always a way of finding fault or being negative about his game. haha....now it's the goaltending of another team.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I hope all the best for Jesse this year in Liiga. Hopefully he can up his stock and get us a nice young player in return or will change his mind and come back next year with more confidence and help contribute.

At this point I have a dream that he goes on a tear gets traded for a non protected first round pick in this year's draft to a struggling bubble team that either just misses or makes the playoffs.

Don't even care if the pick hits lotto love. Supposed to be a good draft.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
At this point I have a dream that he goes on a tear gets traded for a non protected first round pick in this year's draft to a struggling bubble team that either just misses or makes the playoffs.

Don't even care if the pick hits lotto love. Supposed to be a good draft.
I'd just as much have him turn his career around and come back here, but if he's made up his mind that's fine. Always thought he'd be a good fit with Nuge due to their speed and active sticks, and with Neal that could have been a great trio if things had gone a little differently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad