Confirmed Signing with Link: Puljujarvi signed to a 1 year deal with Kärpät, Liiga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Holland is playing it smart, waiting it out. Pulju's over in Europe and not affecting the team. Holland will get his price eventually from one of these suckers who talks themselves into a 21 year old reclamation project with good tools and who will be dirt cheap. Worse case the offer doesn't materialize and you dump him in a year or two for a 4th or 5th instead of a 3rd today.
Oilers under Sather used to do that. He was known for reclamation projects.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The core issue is the prospects offered back (i.e. Julien Gauthier) in the rumors are older and worse than JP and have produced even less in the AHL and NHL. The upside is limited in the players so far offered. It’s like owning a risky falling tech stock like Uber and everybody is offering GameStop or Subway stock.
No one is going to offer much for a guy who can't be sent to the AHL to develop and requires a roster spot, if that player hasn't proven he's a legitimate NHLer yet. Which is the case due to how mismanaged Puljujarvi's development was that he now has to clear waiver despite not being an established NHLer at 21. That significantly hurts his value.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
What is wrong with some people? I’ve never seen a guys draft pedigree have such a negative connotation attached with his value. If he was a 2nd round pick playing at above ppg in the liiga people would be drooling all over him, but because he was a high pick and hasn’t had success early on in the nhl he’s a bust and only worth a mid round pick?

There were reports before the season of Gauthier, Kostin and Volkov being offered for him and the oilers turned them down. That was before the season where he’s 5th in scoring in his league.

Reactions: Puckluck

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
What is wrong with some people? I’ve never seen a guys draft pedigree have such a negative connotation attached with his value. If he was a 2nd round pick playing at above ppg in the liiga people would be drooling all over him, but because he was a high pick and hasn’t had success early on in the nhl he’s a bust and only worth a mid round pick?

There were reports before the season of Gauthier, Kostin and Volkov being offered for him and the oilers turned them down. That was before the season where he’s 5th in scoring in his league.
If you get drafted high and fail early on and leave for Europe it hurts your value and people's perception of you. Him leaving for Finland is in no way a good thing for him or the Oilers. He was touted as a top 5 player in his class who was NHL ready. The problem for him was he needed to be a top 6 player and just wasnt. Being a top 5 scorer in Europe still doesnt mean much tbh. Plenty of those guys fail in the NHL. I'm not saying he will but points in Europe most certainly doesnt mean production in North America.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
No one is going to offer much for a guy who can't be sent to the AHL to develop and requires a roster spot, if that player hasn't proven he's a legitimate NHLer yet. Which is the case due to how mismanaged Puljujarvi's development was that he now has to clear waiver despite not being an established NHLer at 21. That significantly hurts his value.

In fact, the same can be said of all these supposed prospects offered - who require an AHL or NHL roster spot. Oilers are looking for bottom-6 scoring and the Condors are pretty full this season. It's almost better to keep JP overseas until there is an opening for a prospect or he improves to increase his trade value.

He is a legit bottom-6 NHLer... much like another Oilers high pick, MPS. The problem is HE and his agent think he's a top-6 forward. He would fit perfectly on the Oilers bottom-6 this season (good defensively, long stick, excellent skater, big).

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
In fact, the same can be said of all these supposed prospects offered - who require an AHL or NHL roster spot. Oilers are looking for bottom-6 scoring and the Condors are pretty full this season. It's almost better to keep JP overseas until there is an opening for a prospect or he improves to increase his trade value.

He is a legit bottom-6 NHLer... much like another Oilers high pick, MPS. The problem is HE and his agent think he's a top-6 forward. He would fit perfectly on the Oilers bottom-6 this season (good defensively, long stick, excellent skater, big).
He could never get a full time gig last year and was essentially used as a spot 4th liner at times. And, most of these prospects listed still don’t have to clear waivers. He’s far from proven as an NHLer. His ability to win puck battles is lacking for the skills you describe. Which is what most teams want out of bottom 6 players.

Reactions: TS Quint

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
He could never get a full time gig last year and was essentially used as a spot 4th liner at times. And, most of these prospects listed still don’t have to clear waivers. He’s far from proven as an NHLer. His ability to win puck battles is lacking for the skills you describe. Which is what most teams want out of bottom 6 players.

He had two lingering bum hips last season and had surgery Mar 4.

He fumbles the puck when trying something offensive ... but he definitely wins more puck battles and is excellent backchecker. Offensively he’s Bambi. Defensively he solid. I’d have no problem with him on the bottom 6. He thinks otherwise.

All prospect rumored... not sure I’d play them in the AHL over Benson, Marody, etc. Don’t want a bottom 6 AHLer.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Oil fans and Holland need to come the hell down on this asking price. This guy is 21 in a league he was wrecking as a teenager. He's gonna do real well at it. Big shock right? Fire's hot, snow's cold, there's something in the water.... news at 11 boys. JP is like 3rd and a throw-in prospect worthy. If the Oil want any more they can sit on it forever and this kid can just never play in the NHL again.

No one would have a word to say about this guy if he wasn't previously 4th overall.
I remember reading basically the same thing during the Drouin situation a few years back.

Reactions: Weltschmerz

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

No, that's who the Oilers wanted for Puljujarvi, not who was offered for Puljujarvi. The rumors were that teams like Carolina, St. Louis and Tampa inquired, but they said no when they heard Edmonton's price.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
If you get drafted high and fail early on and leave for Europe it hurts your value and people's perception of you. Him leaving for Finland is in no way a good thing for him or the Oilers. He was touted as a top 5 player in his class who was NHL ready. The problem for him was he needed to be a top 6 player and just wasnt. Being a top 5 scorer in Europe still doesnt mean much tbh. Plenty of those guys fail in the NHL. I'm not saying he will but points in Europe most certainly doesnt mean production in North America.
nah its good for the oilers. if he gets his confidence back maybe he will have a change of heart at be our own top 5 21 year old prospect if noone wants to trade anything good for him

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
He had two lingering bum hips last season and had surgery Mar 4.

He fumbles the puck when trying something offensive ... but he definitely wins more puck battles and is excellent backchecker. Offensively he’s Bambi. Defensively he solid. I’d have no problem with him on the bottom 6. He thinks otherwise.

All prospect rumored... not sure I’d play them in the AHL over Benson, Marody, etc. Don’t want a bottom 6 AHLer.
didnt he just get the bones shaved or something , everyone saying he has bum hips makes it sound like he got them replaced

Reactions: Homesick

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
didnt he just get the bones shaved or something , everyone saying he has bum hips makes it sound like he got them replaced
You make having the bones reshaped in the biggest joints of your body sound like a haircut. Double hip replacement would mean he'd be lucky to play beer league in a couple years, nevermind pro hockey 5 months later.

I really don't know how bad his hips were but people don't just get surgery for the hell of it.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
The Oilers should let him light it up in Finland for the next year and a half and dangle him to Seattle in the expansion draft.
The trade then becomes Puljujarvi for a roster player(2nd line/pair or back up goalie) that wants to be on the team.
Much smarter than a 4th round pick or whatever other garbage some idiots are offering

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
You make having the bones reshaped in the biggest joints of your body sound like a haircut. Double hip replacement would mean he'd be lucky to play beer league in a couple years, nevermind pro hockey 5 months later.

I really don't know how bad his hips were but people don't just get surgery for the hell of it.
Eric Comrie had the same thing done. It was reported as a near cosmetic surgery at the time. I’m no doctor but that’s how it was presented. He came back and said he felt better than ever.

Jets prospect Comrie thriving after hip surgery

As for points in Europe, no one cares except Oiler fans who want to pump his value in imaginary trades. Recent play by Gusev and Tolvanen seem to support that.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
As for points in Europe, no one cares except Oiler fans who want to pump his value in imaginary trades. Recent play by Gusev and Tolvanen seem to support that.
Tolvanen is not a good example. His points (good, but not amazing) were not what brought him to NA, it was his play on the ice as he is electrifying on a big ice sheet.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I remember reading basically the same thing during the Drouin situation a few years back.

It depends on what was said. Drouin was stapled to the bench his first 1 1/4 seasons and somehow was 0.5 PPG playing with the likes of J.T Brown. Not to mention Jon Cooper all but benched him the entire postseason we made the SCF. Kid had enough of the bullshit of being punished for even the smallest mistake every night while guys like Ryan Callahan could blindly throw the puck in the crease for the 4th time in 2 games for a turnover no one batted an eyelash. When he demanded a trade I was the least surprised person in the world

You will never see a team overthink a prospect the way we did Drouin nor piss on it's hands more. JP was just lousy

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Puljujärvi doesn't have an arranged meeting with Holland (who is attending the international tournament in Finland, Puljujärvi is playing) this week so far and he's still saying that returning to Edmonton is impossible. He says that there would have to be a trade for him to play in the NHL. SOURCE (FIN): Jesse Puljujärvi ei ole sopinut tapaamisia eikä aio palata Edmonton Oilersiin – "Jonkun treidin täytyy tapahtua"

Also it was reported in the Finnish media last week that Yzerman will be attending the same tournament. You heard it here first: Pulju to Detroit by the end of next week confirmed.
Maybe something around Evgeny Svechnikov for Jesse Puljujari, Both could use a change of scenery here.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
That would be nice idea for the Oilers, as long s Athanasiou stays for the deadline at Detroit. He would be low-scoring extension, thanks to bad times at Detroit, but could shine with McDavid. Cheap RFA extension, but could become a bargain.
I'd do something around Jesse Puljujarvi+Caleb Jones+Edmontons 2020 2nd round pick for Andreas Athanasiou+Mike Green @ 50% retention AA signs for 6 years $33 million $5.5 million AAV something like that.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Famous last words.
You'd be lucky to get a 3rd rounder for Puljujarvi right now? AA's value is higher then just Puljujarvi even with the scoring slump he's at. Add Caleb Jones to Puljujarvi and it might be closer to fair. But honestly with Yzerman heading to Finland i could definitely see Pool-Party to Detroit happening. I think he's Yzermans kind of player.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Pool Party, Joe Gambardella, and Joel Persson for Lias Andersson and Ryan Gropp.

Strangely, Joel Persson, 25, who was a part-time teacher and not even playing pro hockey three years ago, might be the best asset in that list. His growth has been tremendous.

Gambardella? Love the guy as an AHLer. Weird ask though? You a buddy of his?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad