Confirmed Signing with Link: Puljujarvi signed to a 1 year deal with Kärpät, Liiga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Part of it was his fault. The Oilers obviously wanted him to learn the NA game and he and his agent didn't want to be sent down to the AHL - they kept him on the NHL roster for X number of games so he wouldn't bolt back to FEL/Liga. He didn't learn English or blew it off. He even admitted this last year or this offseason.

From the first preseason game it was obvious his puck protection skills were not NHL-ready... it never really improved. Skating and shot strength were always above-average/elite. Defensively because of his skating and reach... he could be a solid checker but that's a poor use of a 4th overall pick.

The Oilers were wrong in putting JP with scrubs like Lucic... but JP himself killed plays with his fumbling. McDavid and Draisaitl would have 20 less points playing with him. It definitely did not help his confidence but his hockey sense isn't elite like the other past Oilers high picks like Draisaitl, Nuge, McDavid,... even Gagner. He should be a decent NHLer though.
He couldn't have bolted back to Liiga, he didn't have the European Assignment clause.

And him being a 1st round draftee, even his European team couldn't have demanded his return in case he was loaned to other league, like they can do to 18-19 years old 2nd+ round picks courtesy of the NHL/IIHF transfer agreement. (And I think they won't have even that right if the player stays up 10+ games and starts burning his ELC.)

Reactions: theblackadder

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
A new interview: Puljujärvi paljastaa syyt Edmontonista lähdölle: ”Halusin suureen rooliin”

His direct quotes, translated by me:
Those three years have been left behind, and now all my focus is on "today". It's great to work here (Oulu). We have a good team and we are winning games. It's great to play here.

On why he wanted out of Edmonton:
I wanted a big role - that was the biggest thing for me. I'm used to playing in a big role, and I felt that's what I need in my career right now. I get to play a lot here.

I was thinking of myself and my development. I was thinking about the direction I want to go in as a hockey player. I had a lot of options and this felt the most sensible. Now I get to develop again [as a player], and surely as a person, too.

On a possible contract by the 1 December deadline:
I'm putting 100 % into this Kärpät thing right now, and I don't think about trades at all. If something happens, I can go and try again there, but there is no need to do it. I'll keep those things in the background, because I cannot affect them myself.

It is possible that I will go back to NHL before December, but I don't think about it now. Now I'm focusing on working here and enjoying hockey.

About being in contact with his Edmonton team mates:
If there's something I miss, it's NHL as a whole. From Edmonton, I've mostly been in contact with Mikko Koskinen and the conditioning coach Chad Drummond.

Oil Spill

Net Detective
Jan 21, 2013
Man This Kid is a disappointment, remember being so pumped he fell to us. Glad Holland has stuck to his guns so far, hopefully Jesse can mature in Finland and come back because he clearly wasn't ready for the NHL as a player or person.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Every time he talks its just ugh. Needs a big role? Looks at Edmonton's right wing depth...James Neal and friends. Just by existing he would be on the 3rd line and based on how bad camp has gone for all the try outs Holland brought over he would be in the top 6 already. Someone gave this kid bad advice.

Hopefully he pwns the opposition and put up points in a third rate league and Oilers get something for him

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Its pretty clear his English affected his assimilation.

The dumby skips English classes and refuses to stay summers to train and get cultured.

No wonder hes loving Karpat. He has friends.

This was pretty evident when he was caught on twitter walking home carrying all his equipment. Clearly he didnt have any friendships on the team

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Puljujärvi just said on an interview to Finnish media that Edmonton is a complete no-no for him.

I think this is what we all knew/expected. It’s too bad, because I think he’s definitely an NHLer, but it seems likely he won’t get that chance this year.

Really hope for his sake he’s not tanking his career, and completely understand and agree with the Oilers’ position - holding on to him until they get what they think he’s worth.

Ajaton Azer

A small hamster
Dec 5, 2005
Spandex
Puljujärvi just said on an interview to Finnish media that Edmonton is a complete no-no for him.

Also this interview was in leading to international tourney this weekend, where according to rumours there'll be some GMs around. So nice showing for our team Finland could lead to a nice trade to a happier place.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Yeah we all knew. It’s on them if they want value for him or no

And up to JP to increase his trade value by playing better.

A 3rd round pick is basically throw away value for him. I'd rather wait him out and force him to play for the Oilers like Nichushkin + Giordano + etc.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Based on the projected points from 2017:

If Pulju ends the Liiga season at PPG, based on the projected points (.43 for Liiga) he would have scored 30 points in NHL (82 gp). Which is very close to his 2017-18 season: 20 points in 65 gp = estimated 25 points in 82 gp.

This list is hilarious. Especially that KHL "factor".

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
He also added that there are several small reasons why that is so, but would not tell what they are. I assume they are things that are true even under Holland & Tippett, so not sure what it could be. The obvious would of course be the previously discussed preference to play Top 6 minutes, which he will not get until he proves himself. Since he said it's multiple small reasons, maybe he just doesn't like the city of Edmonton in general? But I can't see how Oulu is any better - Oulu is basically the Edmonton of Finland :D And it certainly isn't about money. He would get much more in Switzerland than in Oulu.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Couple more years in Europe. He will change his mind. Either that or he can be our expansion draft loss

Reactions: Ciao

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
He also added that there are several small reasons why that is so, but would not tell what they are. I assume they are things that are true even under Holland & Tippett, so not sure what it could be. The obvious would of course be the previously discussed preference to play Top 6 minutes, which he will not get until he proves himself. Since he said it's multiple small reasons, maybe he just doesn't like the city of Edmonton in general? But I can't see how Oulu is any better - Oulu is basically the Edmonton of Finland :D And it certainly isn't about money. He would get much more in Switzerland than in Oulu.
If I were to guess, he wasn't really liked in the locker room. Probably not innocent in that part but still. If he didn't have good relations with McDavid and Draisaitl, it's not like those two are leaving Edmonton.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Man This Kid is a disappointment, remember being so pumped he fell to us. Glad Holland has stuck to his guns so far, hopefully Jesse can mature in Finland and come back because he clearly wasn't ready for the NHL as a player or person.

I don't know man. I get that POV but I think the organization shares some of the blame. The oilers organization has turned over dramatically and I think if it were this year he was drafted by them things would be very different.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

sometimes when you make your decision on something you cannot go back.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
And Oilers fans want the moon for this bust.

Be lucky to get a low 2nd pick.
Lol, we don't want the moon. We just don't want garbage mid-round picks only to watch him come back to the NHL and flourish on another team. Nobody is asking for the moon for him, just a player that can contribute. Everyone else seems to only want to give up a mid round pick and a never was prospect. Forgive us for not getting excited about that type of return.

Reactions: ivanlwan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad