Rumor: Pulju to KHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
Holly over reaction. KHL team asked Puju if he was interested, he said no. What am I missing?
He is young, give him time...

Reactions: nabob

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Honestly i dont have much hope for Puljujarvi and i think the Oilers are overall a better team with almost any other player in the organization playing in his place, but it is a little too early to give up on him.

I really doubt him going back overseas is going to help him at all though.

Reactions: tellermine

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I'd trade him if it meant he was the piece that tipped the scale for a bigger deal. I wouldn't trade him for another question mark (depending on the player I guess) or a pick. We need to go the Drouin route on this one and force Pulju to come back and boost his own value if he wants out.

I really don't see how going to the KHL would be beneficial for him. Larger ice, much slower league.. there is nothing that he can develop properly over there at this point. He obviously should've been in Finland in 2016 and the AHL in 2017 but here we are.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Trading pulju now this early will be a mistake. Guy has all the tools but hasn't found the toolbox yet.

In a way I hope it does happen. Be another knock on the OBC because when he is traded like most who have he will find his game.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Likely using the KHL offer as leverage to get traded. If we can’t get something decent for him then call his bluff and let him go. Hopefully Kurrie can help us out and get him to work on some things. Not much to lose at this point.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Likely using the KHL offer as leverage to get traded. If we can’t get something decent for him then call his bluff and let him go. Hopefully Kurrie can help us out and get him to work on some things. Not much to lose at this point.
Pulju can sign an offersheet if he wants out

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
LOL. No it isn't. I can say Hitch talked about Paajarvi back when in St Louis and said him not being able to understand sytems was hurting him

I listened to an interview from a NA player who went overseas and said he struggled. An assist coach told him he needed to stay there and acclimate and would help his game. He did and said the rewards were amazing

Language and not feeling isolated can have a huge impact on development

So he will magically jump from 10 to 60 points just because he plays in Finland for a year? Give me a break.

Last edited:

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I think this is the best option. AHL would obviously be ideal if he didn't have to go through waivers.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
So he will magically jump from 10 to 60 points just because he plays in Finland for a year? Give me a break.

Not 60. But if he wins a top 6e spot this year, 50 is not outta the question

If he stays here all summer, and then shows like he did in camp last year, I will bet heavily that his NHL game will look much better.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
He left over a contract dispute and wanted to play at a higher level then the AHL. Is this the same thing?

While I don't think your main point is that wrong - it's tough to find comparables of a struggling player who goes overseas to develop and then returns - this is just being obtuse. Giordano is a great example of a player who wasn't good enough for the NHL going to the KHL for higher competition to develop and then returning a star.

The reason it's rare is because so few players do it that we don't have much of a sample size - that is arguably as much because it just 'hasn't been done' as much as it does or doesn't work. When Matthews went over to the Swiss league for his draft year, people went on at length about how it was a terrible mistake and he wouldn't develop. Worked out fine for him. I think going to the KHL to work on his game with more ice time is a fine option if we're not going to try and move him for value now. We'll see if it works out for him.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
If we're trading JP I hope it's for a good prospect. I'm not too convinced he'll fetch us a good roster player. Like if he brings back a 3rd liner, than why not just stick it out with JP and see how he does under Tippett?

Ideally, we'd get something like...
Noel or Heponiemi from Florida
Necas or Kuokkanen+ from Carolina
Vesalainen from Winnipeg

JP's value has sunken so low I think that maybe you can only pry Kuokkanen. I think Carolina values him highly, so maybe you could shake Necas loose.

Alternatively if you can get Kapanen from TOR, or we add a little and get Miller from Vegas I'd be interested in those deals.

What about Colorado for Jost?

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Playing in Finland right now would not help. Playing in the AHL for sure wouldn't help.

Taking away his biggest distraction off the ice in the NHL would go a long way.

The easy shortcut would be regular contact with those who can connect to his world and even better if they have worked through that same distraction.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This is starting to look like a situation where the player is getting bad advice from the agent.

Makes me wonder how many high Euro draft picks have this happen.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
This is starting to look like a situation where the player is getting bad advice from the agent.

Makes me wonder how many high Euro draft picks have this happen.

I bet you it's high across the board, not just Euro draft picks. Probably higher incidence due to the distance from the NHL, but so many kids have no idea who the heck they're having represent them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia