Post-Game Talk: PTSD - Post Traumatic Smith Disorder

Who do you start in Game Two?

• Total voters

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I don't even understand why you come on here and post. You were nowhere to be seen when they were playing well, but as soon as they lose, you're in here screaming "I told you so!"

The Kings scored a goal off of massive blunder and it took bouncing off a guy to get it done.

Guys like you make this place insufferable because it's not that you're negative, you make stuff up and then disappear when they win.
there's a reason why PGT's are only like 10 pages when the Oilers win

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I don't even understand why you come on here and post. You were nowhere to be seen when they were playing well, but as soon as they lose, you're in here screaming "I told you so!"

The Kings scored a goal off of massive blunder and it took bouncing off a guy to get it done.

Guys like you make this place insufferable because it's not that you're negative, you make stuff up and then disappear when they win.
I’m long past the point of caring about regular season success. We waited an entire year for that performance? The Kings know how to win, apparently we are still figuring that out. And they better figure it out soon because going back to LA down 2-0 is a death sentence.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I’m long past the point of caring about regular season success. We waited an entire year for that performance? The Kings know how to win, apparently we are still figuring that out. And they better figure it out soon because going back to LA down 2-0 is a death sentence.
I don’t know what game you were watching but that game could have easily gone the other way. Y is obvious that the team made a concerted effort not to cheat for offense and if it wasn’t for the Smith blunder which he took full responsibility for would have gone to OT most likely. They played hard and pushed back both physically and offensively. Quick was lights out keeping it a 3-3 game. Not a bad performance at all maybe a bad start but overall they did what they needed to win.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
After skimming through 35 pages, I have little to add other than the fact that I fully expected that exact result with a numb sort of acceptance. Even after we were tied at the end of the second, I had that feeling LA would score in the last few minutes and we'd be unable to tie it. Time is a circle.

Great games by Connor, Yamamoto, and Bouchard in particular. Kassian seemed to raise his level of intensity and I suspect Puljujarvi is injured while Nurse is still not 100%.

An unpopular opinion but I'd allow Smith the opportunity to redeem himself with a very short leash. We better pray that he can return to his April form. I knew that not giving Skinner more starts would come back to bite us.

I have to say that I'm particularly disappointed in Draisaitl. A player that previously raised his level of intensity in the playoffs to the point of being able to centre lesser players at age 21 did little at 5-on-5 last night and had bad fancies to boot. It's bad enough that he pissed away what was once a 12-goal lead for the Rocket but to come out that flat and miss multiple Grade A chances. Even Yamamoto looked better away from him which is rather indicting. And I'm not a big fan of the cheap shots. He's either still nursing and injury or just content to sit on his previous accomplishments and go through the motions. He just doesn't seem to have that fire that it takes to win unlike McDavid.

The real test will be how they come out tomorrow night. Win and it's a whole new series, lose and that's likely another summer of futility.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I don’t know what game you were watching but that game could have easily gone the other way. Y is obvious that the team made a concerted effort not to cheat for offense and if it wasn’t for the Smith blunder which he took full responsibility for would have gone to OT most likely. They played hard and pushed back both physically and offensively. Quick was lights out keeping it a 3-3 game. Not a bad performance at all maybe a bad start but overall they did what they needed to win.
It could've but it didn't. Once again the Oilers folded like a cheap tent in the third period (outscored 14-1 over this playoff losing streak in the third/OT), and were basically a non-factor at even strength. They lost home ice and now absolutely must win the next game.

You can accept losses like this in the regular season, but not here. Smith and the team cannot be giving away games like that.

After the last two playoffs, this was the last thing they needed. They needed to send a message. If they did, it wasn't a positive one.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
This thread is too long to catch back up on, but for anyone who's trying to claim that LA owned 5 on 5 play based on any page like Natural Stat Trick chart putting LA at 57 xGF% needs context. By NSTs metrics Smith's blunder directly led to 3 HD Scoring chances and a goal which amounted to approximatly 0.6 xGA. That means that one play directly led to 25% of LA xGF production (total 2.65 total xGF) and all of the xGF/xGA descrepancy for the game.

That game was a coin flip at 5 on 5 with Quick outplaying Smith until that gaffe. The only reason the team looks bad on those sites today is because the error was so bad it sunk the entire teams 5 on 5 performance. For proof look at the 5 on 5 xGF/xGA chart right at the time of the goal. Ironically, if he had just let the goal in without the first save, the xGF% is probably only about 52%-53%.

1651603108552.png

Overall, I didn't hate the Oilers game last night. They were goalied to a certain extent, but they at least found a way to score 3 against Quick who was having quite a game. They also didn't put in their best defensive effort, so tidy that up and have Smith shake it off they can take this back. But they need to find a way to score a goal beyond the second period at some point (outscored 14-1 after the 2nd period during this 7 game playoff losing streak).

Reactions: PinSeeker

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
This thread is too long to catch back up on, but for anyone who's trying to claim that LA owned 5 on 5 play based on any page like Natural Stat Trick chart putting LA at 57 xGF% needs context. By NSTs metrics Smith's blunder directly led to 3 HD Scoring chances and a goal which amounted to approximatly 0.6 xGA. That means that one play directly led to 25% of LA xGF production (total 2.65 total xGF).

That game was a coin flip at 5 on 5 with Quick outplaying Smith until that gaffe. The only reason the team looks bad on those sites today is because the error was so bad it sunk the entire teams 5 on 5 performance. For proof look at the 5 on 5 xGF/xGA chart right at the time of the goal. Ironically, if he had just let the goal in without the first save, the xGF% is probably only about 52%-53%.

View attachment 539797

Overall, I didn't hate the Oilers game last night. They were goalied to a certain extent, but they at least found a way to score 3 against Quick who was having quite a game. They also didn't put in their best defensive effort, so tidy that up and have Smith shake it off they can take this back. But they need to find a way to score a 3rd period goal at some point (outscored 14-1 after the 2nd period during this 7 game playoff losing streak).

I don't even think we were goalied.

We should be able to win with 3 goals in the playoffs.

Smith let in two weak ones. The Lemieux goal and then the 4th goal. We get a stop on either of those we probably win. Before the Smith gaff I was confident we'd pull it out.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018

I'm sure if they win tomorrow you'll either be a ghost or blabbering about them not winning the right way. I get that people can have whatever opinion they want, but when you go on ad nauseum about how they're terrible when everything would indicate they're not, it's beyond annoying.

Heat of the moment, night of the game bitching is one thing. Next day blabbering over and over and over about things that aren't true is exhausting.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
After skimming through 35 pages, I have little to add other than the fact that I fully expected that exact result with a numb sort of acceptance. Even after we were tied at the end of the second, I had that feeling LA would score in the last few minutes and we'd be unable to tie it. Time is a circle.

Great games by Connor, Yamamoto, and Bouchard in particular. Kassian seemed to raise his level of intensity and I suspect Puljujarvi is injured while Nurse is still not 100%.

An unpopular opinion but I'd allow Smith the opportunity to redeem himself with a very short leash. We better pray that he can return to his April form. I knew that not giving Skinner more starts would come back to bite us.

I have to say that I'm particularly disappointed in Draisaitl. A player that previously raised his level of intensity in the playoffs to the point of being able to centre lesser players at age 21 did little at 5-on-5 last night and had bad fancies to boot. It's bad enough that he pissed away what was once a 12-goal lead for the Rocket but to come out that flat and miss multiple Grade A chances. Even Yamamoto looked better away from him which is rather indicting. And I'm not a big fan of the cheap shots. He's either still nursing and injury or just content to sit on his previous accomplishments and go through the motions. He just doesn't seem to have that fire that it takes to win unlike McDavid.

The real test will be how they come out tomorrow night. Win and it's a whole new series, lose and that's likely another summer of futility.

The bolded to me is the low-key biggest issue with the way the last part of the season played out. They needed to give Skinner more starts, even if it resulted in them dropping to 3rd (which is as of last night a moot point). Now they don't fully know what they have with Skinner.

Reactions: Duke74

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
Gotta ask. Why do people think Smith regularly bounces back after a bad outing ?

I would think that 0-10 in his last 10 playoff games is saying the opposite. No ?

Reactions: K1984

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I'm sure if they win tomorrow you'll either be a ghost or blabbering about them not winning the right way. I get that people can have whatever opinion they want, but when you go on ad nauseum about how they're terrible when everything would indicate they're not, it's beyond annoying.

Heat of the moment, night of the game bitching is one thing. Next day blabbering over and over and over about things that aren't true is exhausting.
If they win I'll give them credit for winning. At this time of year that's all that matters. But the fact of the matter is that they blew a game and now absolutely must win the next one to save their season.

When you lose 7 straight playoff games, people are going to be upset about it. If you're not upset then apparently you have the patience of a Saint.

Reactions: Porkleaker

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Gotta ask. Why do people think Smith regularly bounces back after a bad outing ?

I would think that 0-10 in his last 10 playoff games is saying the opposite. No ?

He hasn't necessarily been bad in each of those starts though. He just hasn't been as good as the other goalie each time. If he plays even average yesterday Edmonton wins. So the hope is that he got his bad start out of the way and settles in. Koskinen is pretty much guaranteed to have at least one bad start if he takes over from here as well, so switching at this point likely leads to at least one more game in this series pissed away by a goalie and two games pissed away is likely too much to overcome.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Glad I'm not the only one who saw that goal that way. Smith was out of his butterfly all night for no damned reason. I was watching the game with my son, and actually stopped the game a few times and watched it again in slow-mo to show my kid what Smith was doing wrong and why it was wrong. That is how bad it was, I was using him as an example of what you shouldn't be doing, and it was obvious enough that I was certain my 8 year old would understand me, lol. Smith was hot garbage all night, and looked supremely uncomfortable in net all night. Hrudey talked about it in the first intermission in fact.

You know there are pros and cons to goalies as old as Smith. Pros normally include a wider repertoire of saves and of course experience.

The cons are the involuntary things you still do that were learned at age 14 with heavy equipment. It was pretty common to not go into a full butterfly until you really, really needed to, since it was so heavy to get up. It was also common for taller goalies to stay deeper since you could still cover the net laterally, whereas the smaller guy had to expend much more energy (again equipment). But those things leave you prone to 5 hole goals and deflections since you aren't close to the tip, aren't square and have a gaps that pucks can squeeze through.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
If they win I'll give them credit for winning. At this time of year that's all that matters. But the fact of the matter is that they blew a game and now absolutely must win the next one to save their season.

When you lose 7 straight playoff games, people are going to be upset about it. If you're not upset then apparently you have the patience of a Saint.

I'm upset that Mike Smith is an idiot. They had that game once they tied it up and Smith proceeded to piss it away.

It wasn't a lack of effort, it was a lack of execution. They were overskating pucks and trying to do to much all night.

If they lose tomorrow because of poor execution then they deserve to be eviscerated.

Reactions: Porkleaker

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I'm upset that Mike Smith is an idiot. They had that game once they tied it up and Smith proceeded to piss it away.

It wasn't a lack of effort, it was a lack of execution. They were overskating pucks and trying to do to much all night.

If they lose tomorrow because of poor execution then they deserve to be eviscerated.
It's always a lack of execution though. It's been that way three straight playoffs. Smith shitting the bed was just the cherry on top. This team has been very poor in the third period during this losing streak, it's not like last night was anything new. The Oilers need to come out strong in game 2 and bury the Kings early. Another soft start like this one and we might as well book tee times.

It's so frustrating to see this team make the same mistakes that have cost them in previous years, they're always a day late and a dollar short. After a while it's not just bad luck, maybe they just aren't that great a playoff team.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Lots of people dancing on the Oilers grave already on the main board. Hope we f***ing stomp the kings tomorrow.

The mains is inhabited by the absolute worst of the NHL fanbase. It's pretty nauseating. Those plebs eat up the same hype woo-woo bullshit that the simp media serve out on the daily that we mock relentlessly here. Worst of them seem to have a collective IQ in the double digits. I mean, any fans that think that Matthews (as great of a season he's had) deserves the Hart over McDavid are utterly clueless and worthy of absolute derision

Reactions: TB12 and Duke74

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad