Post-Game Talk: PTSD - Post Traumatic Smith Disorder

Who do you start in Game Two?

• Total voters

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Im a Leafs fan I dont get the chance to watch your team play alot and I never really watched Arizona games either
be nice if u guys could do well so I could win some money but whatever happens happens

All good, I was just messing around. Smith is known as being one of the best puck handling goaltenders in the league, he learned from Turco. His highlight pass to McDavid on the OT winner against San Jose was an example of his best uses of this ability. But he's also prone to hot dogging at the worst times which can lead to tragedy for his team like it did last night.

Basically he went behind the net to get the puck, LA players were baring down, he could have passed it to Bouchard (who has a good outlet pass), but decided to be a hero in a tie game and try to do it himself. Predictably, it didn't turn out.

I'm not sure if there is a video of it, probably in the highlights (and sorry, I'm not really interested in trying to find it again if you feel me...haha). Would be nice if they can win it, we'll see. I have PTSD from last season so my faith is severely tested after last night

BouchBaby

Apr 29, 2022
Calgary
Smith has a tendency to scramble early in hockey games where he plays bad.. absolutely gets picked up by the other teams coaching staff and players. The 2nd goal where he loses the puck behind his net is just poor fundamentals. Goaltender's are taught to stay ahead of the puck when behind the net, not to switch what shoulder you look over when you assume a wrap around.. he is guessing which direction the puck is going on that play and it burned him. 4th goal just shows he reacts to whatever impulse he has, no trained goalie has ever been instructed to do something like that. He is a good goalie when he plays smart.. no idea why he cant stay out of his own way sometimes.

Reactions: Kinibo

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
All good, I was just messing around. Smith is known as being one of the best puck handling goaltenders in the league, he learned from Turco. His highlight pass to McDavid on the OT winner against San Jose was an example of his best uses of this ability. But he's also prone to hot dogging at the worst times which can lead to tragedy for his team like it did last night.

Basically he went behind the net to get the puck, LA players were baring down, he could have passed it to Bouchard (who has a good outlet pass), but decided to be a hero in a tie game and try to do it himself. Predictably, it didn't turn out.

I'm not sure if there is a video of it, probably in the highlights (and sorry, I'm not really interested in trying to find it again if you feel me...haha). Would be nice if they can win it, we'll see. I have PTSD from last season so my faith is severely tested after last night
as a Leafs fan I know that feeling all too well.
I know we give each other franchises a hard time but man we gotta turn this crap around our fan bases are too loyal to go through this endlessly
like shit when was it when u guys went to cup final? 08? who would have thought things would turn out the way they have
when i was in highschool back in 04 I thought Leafs would never miss with the team they had..... yeah haha

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
as a Leafs fan I know that feeling all too well.
I know we give each other franchises a hard time but man we gotta turn this crap around our fan bases are too loyal to go through this endlessly
like shit when was it when u guys went to cup final? 08? who would have thought things would turn out the way they have
when i was in highschool back in 04 I thought Leafs would never miss with the team they had..... yeah haha

It feels like no series is guaranteed with either team, which is a ridiculous predicament given the respective rosters (both could use an upgrade on a player here or there but that’s the cap world and can say that about almost every team). Cup final was even longer ago than that by a couple of years. Even the one series win in 16-17 feels like a lifetime ago.

Would be nice for both of these teams to advance (hate the Bolts), for once

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
But that's just it. During this losing streak they've always been "close". In fact in every single game during this 7 game playoff losing streak, they've lost by a single goal (2 ENGs for Winnipeg in game 1).

Close doesn't cut it anymore. Someone has to step up besides McDavid. Their inability to generate offense in the third period and beyond came back to haunt them yet again. I'm really starting to think there's something seriously lacking with this club.
I agree. Where I was was intending to challenge your post was the claim that the improved depth is what let them down yet again. When 3 of your top 6 fail to create an HD scoring chance 5 on 5 all game, the issue isn't your depth, it's your underperforming players in the top 6. Ryan, Foegele and RNH generated fine for a 3rd line considering they only got 4 minute of 5 on 5 playing time together.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I agree. Where I was was intending to challenge your post was the claim that the improved depth is what let them down yet again. When 3 of your top 6 fail to create an HD scoring chance 5 on 5 all game, the issue isn't your depth, it's your underperforming players in the top 6. Ryan, Foegele and RNH generated fine for a 3rd line considering they only got 4 minute of 5 on 5 playing time together.
I've said in this thread that basically everyone outside of Yamamoto and McDavid failed to generate anything at even strength. But in a game like this you always hope an unlikely hero could emerge. That's what the playoffs are all about. Iafallo scored and if you read the Kings forums over the past few months you'd think he was the anti-Christ. Brendan Lemieux has all of two goals this calendar year and he still potted one. A running theme for these past few playoffs is the depth players going very, very quiet while McDrai do all the heavy lifting. If even one of them got one more goal the past few years who knows where we are. The Leafs yesterday got some offense from their megastars but also Muzzin and Kampf, not exactly prolific scorers. Rookie Seth Jarvis scored an important goal for the Canes and they never looked back. Ville Husso started his first ever playoff game and pitched a shutout.

It's just frustrating to see the offense from this team come only from McDavid and Draisatl. Top heavy teams do not last long. And we were beaten over the head for the second year around that the "Depth is better this time around" and once again anyone not on line 1 failed to produce. What makes this even more alarming is that we get the matchups at home. When this series shifts to LA you better believe they'll staple one of Kopitar or Denault to McDavid and Draisatl at all times and if the other lines fail to contribute this isn't going to be a long series.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I've said in this thread that basically everyone outside of Yamamoto and McDavid failed to generate anything at even strength. But in a game like this you always hope an unlikely hero could emerge. That's what the playoffs are all about. Iafallo scored and if you read the Kings forums over the past few months you'd think he was the anti-Christ. Brendan Lemieux has all of two goals this calendar year and he still potted one. A running theme for these past few playoffs is the depth players going very, very quiet while McDrai do all the heavy lifting. If even one of them got one more goal the past few years who knows where we are. The Leafs yesterday got some offense from their megastars but also Muzzin and Kampf, not exactly prolific scorers. Rookie Seth Jarvis scored an important goal for the Canes and they never looked back. Ville Husso started his first ever playoff game and pitched a shutout.

It's just frustrating to see the offense from this team come only from McDavid and Draisatl. Top heavy teams do not last long. And we were beaten over the head for the second year around that the "Depth is better this time around" and once again anyone not on line 1 failed to produce. What makes this even more alarming is that we get the matchups at home. When this series shifts to LA you better believe they'll staple one of Kopitar or Denault to McDavid and Draisatl at all times and if the other lines fail to contribute this isn't going to be a long series.
Okay, so Draisaitl gets a pass for mailing it in 5 on 5 because Derek Ryan didn't score. Got it.

forlecious commander

Apr 11, 2022
Not picking on you but I'm positive I read a variation of these posts last season also. :laugh:

Until the Oilers prove they can win in the playoffs, people have a right to be pessimistic. Follow the evidence!
I’m just trying to get everyone of the ledge. I was pissed last night as well when we lost. Hopefully we can rebound

Reactions: Marty McSurly

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Okay, so Draisaitl gets a pass for mailing it in 5 on 5 because Derek Ryan didn't score. Got it.
Draisatl wasn't very good.

Good teams have players step up when their stars don't have good games. That's exactly why we haven't won a damn thing.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Draisatl wasn't very good.

Good teams have players step up when their stars don't have good games. That's exactly why we haven't won a damn thing.

While true it was one game with the current bottom 6. Bottom 6 players don't score every game or else they'd be top 6 players.

If at the end of the series, our bottom 6 has bagels and LAs puts up 2 or 3 key goals, I'll agree. It was one game with this version of the bottom 6. Their's scored last night. If ours scores tomorrow night, the depth of both teams is even. Considering the guys in the bottom generated about an expected half goal, a similar game tomorrow might get them one.

PS, I'm not counting Iafallo as bottom 6 as he was playing top 6 last night.

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
While true it was one game with the current bottom 6. Bottom 6 players don't score every game or else they'd be top 6 players.
The problem is that most of them don't score more than once every few weeks. Kassian has two goals in the calendar year (one an ENG). Derek Ryan has 2 goals since the start of March. Foegele at least is starting to chip in more regularly but still hasn't registered a point in 7 games. Nuge has but 11 goals on the entire season. Ryan McLeod whiffs on so many chances it's maddening and has just the one goal in the last month. And then of course there's JP who looks like he'll never score again.

If this team is going to have a lengthy playoff run those zeros need to change.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Kinibo

Apr 11, 2013
Mike Smith has an eye for the spotlight which clouds his judgment sometimes. We talk about the need for everyone to play a team game and that play was an individual trying too hard to make a difference all by himself. At age 40 that will never change. I still think he has enough in the tank to be the backstop we need, and I love the level of compete he brings. You need that in a goalie. But his ego leads to crap like this and it’s got to be infuriating if you’re an open defenseman in the corner who can only watch as the disaster unfolds before your eyes. I know the team respects him but that has to be soul crushing.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The problem is that most of them don't score more than once every few weeks. Kassian has two goals in the calendar year (one an ENG). Derek Ryan has 2 goals since the start of March. Foegele at least is starting to chip in more regularly but still hasn't registered a point in 7 games. Nuge has but 11 goals on the entire season. Ryan McLeod whiffs on so many chances it's maddening and has just the one goal in the last month. And then of course there's JP who looks like he'll never score again.

If this team is going to have a lengthy playoff run those zeros need to change.
I agree, but I'd be interested in seeing this extensive list of 3rd and fourth liners that consistently score every few games.

They typically produce in spurts. If they are generating chances, they'll cash, and if they cash, there's a good chance they'll cash again soon. At least last night it felt like they were part of the game unlike last year where by the time you got to the third line you were just holding your breath hoping something bad doesn't happen.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
a2966ccfcd03776d7349293460c5d8d6.png

Lots of crazy people here if you want Smith to start next game.

Only thing stronger than anger at Smith being a ridiculous gambler is the fear of how panicky Kostko can be in the net :)

I have a hard time picking still. Kostko had almost no confidence in net the last month, aside from an inconsequential game at the end of the season.

I think Woodcroft gives Smith 1 more chance. He messes up again (would be his 7th straight playoff loss for us!! ugh), he's out.

Ran out of time to be able to try Skinner. Like how we didn't care to play Bouch all last year and ended up having to play 3 D infinite minutes in the playoffs. This org just can't get out of its own way. The Bouch thing was Tippett's fault though. Skinner not being available is Holland. Holland wants his boy Smith in there.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I agree, but I'd be interested in seeing this extensive list of 3rd and fourth liners that consistently score every few games.

They typically produce in spurts. If they are generating chances, they'll cash, and if they cash, there's a good chance they'll cash again soon. At least last night it felt like they were part of the game unlike last year where by the time you got to the third line you were just holding your breath hoping something bad doesn't happen.
I mean we had Fernando put up 14 goals in 2006. Playoffs are all about unlikely heroes. Desharnais scored the only OT winner this team has seen in the McDavid era. There's no rule saying depth players can't step up and have big games.

Reactions: Duke74

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Offensively he was a monster in this game.

I wish he didnt make that backhand drop pass on the Lemieux goal.

But you cant say that he didnt bring it yesterday. Hopefully more guys show up next game besides McDavid and Yamamoto. (McLeod and Kassian played their games too forward wise).

The Lemieux goal was weak as hell though tbh. Idk, D played it well they didn't really have a shot.

Even Stauffer called it a weak goal. And he usually defends goaltending to a fault in game situations.

Reactions: Oilhawks

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I mean we had Fernando put up 14 goals in 2006. Playoffs are all about unlikely heroes. Desharnais scored the only OT winner this team has seen in the McDavid era. There's no rule saying depth players can't step up and have big games.
Fernando was a special one, I've often argues he was moreso a 2nd liner playing on a 3rd as he also had 18 goals and 37 points that season and that wasn't as propped up by powerplay as RNHs numbers would be. Expecting any of our bottom six to produce a goal every second game on average isn't reasonable.

Desharnais is a good example, but had 13 games to get that one single goal that we love to talk about. Ryan, Foegele have 1 game each. RNH has 1 game as the third line centre. McLeod has 5 games so Desharnais had more games than all 4 of those players combined in the role for Edmonton.

We'll see at the end of the round, you may be right once it's all said and done, but after Game 1 in 2017, the team had just one 5 on 5 goal as well and it was a Klefbom shot from Eberle and Lucic. Not much different than where we're at today. Game 2 and 3 is where Kassian stepped up and did what we're hoping for out of a bottom 6 player. Heck, even Draisaitl and McDavid had only combined for 2 total points after 4 games (both McDavid, but one was a PP goal another an empty netter). Even the whole team had only combined for 2 even strength goals in the first 4 games.

Reactions: Oilhawks

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Fernando was a special one, I've often argues he was moreso a 2nd liner playing on a 3rd as he also had 18 goals and 37 points that season and that wasn't propped up by powerplay like RNHs numbers would be. Expecting any of our bottom six to produce a goal every second game on average isn't reasonable.

Desharnais is a good example, but had 13 games to get that one single goal that we love to talk about. Ryan, Foegele have 1 game each. RNH has 1 game as the third line centre. McLeod has 5 games so Desharnais had more games than all 4 of those players combined in the role for Edmonton.

We'll see at the end of the round, you may be right once it's all said and done, but after Game 1 in 2017, the team had just one 5 on 5 goal as well and it was a Klefbom shot from Eberle and Lucic. Not much different than where we're at today. Game 2 and 3 is where Kassian stepped up and did what we're hoping for out of a bottom 6 player. Heck, even Draisaitl and McDavid had only combined for 2 total points after 3 games (both McDavid, but one was a PP goal another an empty netter).
This is all true. Although it would be nice to see one of them step up you know?
Too many losses the last 3 playoffs, gotta stop eventually.
At least the record for straight playoff losses is a disgusting 16 and we ain’t even close to that. Although if we manage to get swept here I think that puts us at 10 which would be tied for 5th

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
This is all true. Although it would be nice to see one of them step up you know?
Too many losses the last 3 playoffs, gotta stop eventually.
At least the record for straight playoff losses is a disgusting 16 and we ain’t even close to that. Although if we manage to get swept here I think that puts us at 10 which would be tied for 5th
Every single one of those losses was by a single goal (2 ENGs by Winnipeg in game 1). If even one depth player cashes in during those games (especially the OT games), there's likely a different narrative around these parts. It's maddening how the depth continues to vanish in key games.

Reactions: FanOfSadTeam

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Every single one of those losses was by a single goal (2 ENGs by Winnipeg in game 1). If even one depth player cashes in during those games (especially the OT games), there's likely a different narrative around these parts. It's maddening how the depth continues to vanish in key games.
Jujhar says hi.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Fernando was a special one, I've often argues he was moreso a 2nd liner playing on a 3rd as he also had 18 goals and 37 points that season and that wasn't as propped up by powerplay as RNHs numbers would be. Expecting any of our bottom six to produce a goal every second game on average isn't reasonable.

We'll see at the end of the round, you may be right once it's all said and done, but after Game 1 in 2017, the team had just one 5 on 5 goal as well and it was a Klefbom shot from Eberle and Lucic. Not much different than where we're at today. Game 2 and 3 is where Kassian stepped up and did what we're hoping for out of a bottom 6 player. Heck, even Draisaitl and McDavid had only combined for 2 total points after 4 games (both McDavid, but one was a PP goal another an empty netter). Even the whole team had only combined for 2 even strength goals in the first 4 games.
IMO, Fernando was a career solid bottom sixer that had a great year followed an out of body experience playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad