PS5 vs Xbox Series X

Which system are you going to buy?

• Total voters

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
I'm currently looking at new tv's/monitors in prep for next gen and have some questions. Looks like hdmi 2.1 will be the next big thing with these consoles, and of course there are no current monitors that support it. However, I keep hearing that a 4k display on small monitors (27" and below) will not make much of a difference as compared to say a 55" tv. As far as I can tell, hdmi 2.1 is utilized for higher refresh rates on the 4k displays? I'm trying to decide on keeping 4k 60 hz for tv and 1080p 144hz for monitor or upgrading both to hdmi 2.1 and be able to hit 4k 120hz. What do you guys think?

I don’t use a monitor and have a 10 year old 55” Samsung that I use for PS4 and TV. Right now I’m looking to upgrade and have tentatively decided to go with a Sony X900H once they receive the HDMI 2.1 firmware update.

If had the TV and monitor you have I would probably wait to see if any games I want to play run at 4K 120. Then when I know they do I would I would upgrade. I have my suspicions that it might be rare at the start of the generation.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
That's gotta be at least $600 CDN if not more. I can't justify myself spending that kind of money on day one.

656.97 CDN

don’t forget you can do monthly instalment payments with MS.

Not a day one purchase for me but once they start rolling out games I will definitely get it. Most likely Boxing Day will knock off 50 dollars.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I really like the All Access Pass stuff that MS is doing. I will be taking full advantage. It would be cool if Sony did something similar.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I can afford either of the two models, I'm just not sure which I want.

The price tag and specs of the series s are very tempting. Next gen tech with no disc drive and 1440p isn't a bad max resolution either.

On the other hand I have a one x I can trade in that would knock like 200 bucks off according to what the guy at ebgames told me (speculation but the guy works there so I'm sure he has some type of idea of how trwde in will work) which would essentially pull the series x even with the s in terms of out of pocket costs.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
656.97 CDN

don’t forget you can do monthly instalment payments with MS.

Not a day one purchase for me but once they start rolling out games I will definitely get it. Most likely Boxing Day will knock off 50 dollars.
It's not a matter of affordability, I can afford it just fine, it's just hard to justify that price to me when there's not much that my Xbone doesn't already have.

Reactions: Beau Knows

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Would be funny if Sony came out and did $400 again but I don't think they can afford to this time.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Would be funny if Sony came out and did $400 again but I don't think they can afford to this time.

I recall there being stories Sony are struggling with making the price tag affordable while at the same time cost effective. I've felt both consoles costing the same price ages ago.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
If it wasn't digital only, I would definitely go for the cheaper model. I don't have a 4K TV yet, I'm probably not going to get one till I move into a new place with my GF, and that's a year or two away. So having a console that's essentially exactly the same, expect that it outputs at 1080 instead of 4K is perfect for me out of the gates.

That said, I want a console with a disk drive. I still like physical media for the games I buy, at least the major purchases. Plus I have all these Xbox 360 and Xbox One games on disk that I'd like to play with steady framerates, etc. Same reason I'm getting the more expensive PS5 instead of the no-disk-drive version.

So I will get the more expensive box. Interested to see if they do the payment plan thing in Canada. Even if it's like $50 a month in Canada, that's more than doable.

Microsoft's biggest problem right now is a lack of games at launch.

Yeah, by all accounts that proprietary SSD is mad expensive.

Sony's big problem right now isn't launching at $499. They can manage that. There is no way they can put out a console at $299. Getting rid of a disk drive doesn't cut the cost anywhere near enough.

Xbox's ridiculous always-online, DRM plan last generation stuck in people's mind for years. If the same thing happens with this, people just remember 'Next gen Xbox is $299', that is a massive problem for Sony.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
There were reports that the Ps5 costs $450 in manufacturing alone. Playstation is the most profitable part of Sony, so I don’t think they can sell at a loss.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
There were reports that the Ps5 costs $450 in manufacturing alone. Playstation is the most profitable part of Sony, so I don’t think they can sell at a loss.

At $499 that's a rough gross margin before literally any other expense. I'm not saying they won't but they would be taking a loss at that point because retailers themselves would want to earn a slim margin of profit.

I expect Microsoft might be selling at a loss with their pricing as well and they're trying to bet on being "the Netflix of games" with their Game Pass Ultimate subscriptions and making it up there.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

That's true.

After the PS3, Sony shifted and decided that they wouldn't ship a console at a loss anymore. They made money off every PS4 sold, an opening afforded them by Microsoft's idiotic all-in-one box model, which made a weaker console more expensive.

If Sony is willing to revert back to the model they used from the PSX through the PS2 and PS3, where they basically lost money on hardware and made up the difference on software licensing, then maybe they can undercut Microsoft. If they're relying on the Playstation division to drive profits, that will be difficult.

At $499 that's a rough gross margin before literally any other expense. I'm not saying they won't but they would be taking a loss at that point because retailers themselves would want to earn a slim margin of profit.

I expect Microsoft might be selling at a loss with their pricing as well and they're trying to bet on being "the Netflix of games" with their Game Pass Ultimate subscriptions and making it up there.

Microsoft is almost certainly selling at a loss.

That said, given the statements from Phil Spencer over the last several years, they seem to be emphasizing the software-side of their business, particularly Gamepass. They seem more interested in getting people into their ecosystem than they are in making money up front on their hardware.

Microsoft has had success of late with their SaaS initiative. Office 365, Azure, etc. They seem well on their way to leaving packaged products behind for the most part.

Hypothetically, if Sony, Nintendo, Apple all agreed to run GamePass on their platform with no strings attached, I'm fairly confident Microsoft would agree. 'Exclusive' games included.

Last edited:

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Sure, but I think Microsoft can take a bigger hit than Sony. Even reading that, $500 might just be the digital edition. An optical drive doesn’t exactly cost much.

PS4 gave them such a massive install base that they could go $599 and still be fine, I’d bet.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Sure, but I think Microsoft can take a bigger hit than Sony. Even reading that, $500 might just be the digital edition. An optical drive doesn’t exactly cost much.

PS4 gave them such a massive install base that they could go $599 and still be fine, I’d bet.
Microsoft was always able to take a bigger hit than Sony. Their Microsoft ffs lol. Also, if you believe the speculation from Sony execs, then they aren't looking to price the PS5 at a high price. Their projection numbers suggest a lower price ($499 ball park instead of $599 ball park) as they don't want to make the same mistake they did with the PS3.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Pretty sure I'll never get an X-Box over a PS or Switch, regardless of pricing or consumer considerations. I just don't like their approach to gaming. They seem to treat consoles the way EA treats games-- like some artless and lifeless technology/marketing-driven thing and not much more.

Very little from their catalogue ever interests me.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

At $600 they might be fine in America, but they'd have to be careful globally. The exchange rate is not what it was in 2013 for a lot of countries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad