PS5 vs Xbox Series X

Which system are you going to buy?

• Total voters

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
At $600 they might be fine in America, but they'd have to be careful globally. The exchange rate is not what it was in 2013 for a lot of countries.
Nothing stopping them from not following the exchange rate exactly. Microsoft appears to have done that.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Pretty sure I'll never get an X-Box over a PS or Switch, regardless of pricing or consumer considerations. I just don't like their approach to gaming. They seem to treat consoles the way EA treats games-- like some artless and lifeless technology/marketing-driven thing and not much more.

Very little from their catalogue ever interests me.

Games as a service is the term oft used. I'm not a fan of this because it makes every game it touches suffer in some way. Even Halo, which is probably closer to sport than art, used to have a soul that drove players to shape massive communities purely on the strength of gameplay, universe and aesthetics. It's no coincidence the series' luster started sagging once incentives creeped into the design, eventually transforming the series from sport to service.

If Microsoft is willing to do that to their baby, then this model really has no end in sight. It doesn't ruin every game, but it never benefits anyone outside of the publisher.

Last edited:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I think there is something to be said for games as a service. In the 360 era lots of gamers would just play Gears of War, Halo or Cod with friends and they'd have a blast.There are a lot of those gamers.

Don Mattricks idiocy really sunk them this gen but I don't think that's the wrong approach for the majority of gamers. They're going to do a lot better this gen.

Though it may not have been totally his fault. Nintendo did the TV/Cable stuff too, probably based on telemetry and the knowledge that the most popular thing on their consoles were Netflix. They just failed to see smart TVs coming, which Sony being a television manufacturer saw from a mile away

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Games as a service is the term oft used. I'm not a fan of this because even it makes every game it touches suffer in some way. Even Halo, which is probably closer to sport than art, used to have a soul that drove players to shape massive communities purely on the strength of gameplay, universe and aesthetics. It's no coincidence the series' luster started sagging once incentives creeped into the design, eventually transforming the series from sport to service.

If Microsoft is willing to do that to their baby, then this model really has no end in sight. It doesn't ruin every game, but it never benefits anyone outside of the publisher.
Yep. It serves a purpose that works for some people certaintly, but I hate that side of videogames, personally, and I kind of agree with the old out of touch people who wag their fists and yell "videogames are a waste of time!" when it comes to the stuff that function that way.

For all of Nintendo's bizarre, unorthodox business practices which sometimes seems shameless and sometimes feels like they don't care about their fans, their attitude to game design, creativity, authenticity, and craft (at least, when they want to show it) is still admirable/respectable and far easier to get behind, IMO. Sony shows an appreciation for that as well, but tends to have more of a common sense best of both worlds attitude to everything. I'm giving my money to these guys instead.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
^ I think at this point people are fairly tied into an ecosystem and it's most likely what they started with. I was a PS guy until their lack of support on some of my system issues, the internet fiasco and slow to introduce new features online... The lack of backwards compatibility would be an issue this time. I have this odd feeling they are not going to be able to launch in 2021 but I could be completely wrong. I don't have the patience for RPG's anymore and Sony excels here.

We are way past normal deadlines for announcing pricing and the release date.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
^ I think at this point people are fairly tied into an ecosystem and it's most likely what they started with. I was a PS guy until their lack of support on some of my system issues, the internet fiasco and slow to introduce new features online... The lack of backwards compatibility would be an issue this time. I have this odd feeling they are not going to be able to launch in 2021 but I could be completely wrong. I don't have the patience for RPG's anymore and Sony excels here.

We are way past normal deadlines for announcing pricing and the release date.

I hope people aren't buying consoles based on that, and are looking at the games and features of each console, but you're probably right.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I hope people aren't buying consoles based on that, and are looking at the games and features of each console, but you're probably right.

Of course, they are, my full Xbox game library comes with me to the next console. Like 70 or so digital games and Game pass, that's hard for Sony to beat and not to mention all friends I play with. There are people I have been playing with on Xbox for nearly 20 years, since Halo 2. That's really hard to make a switch, especially when MSFT was outmatched by Sony with the Xbox One vs. PS4.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Of course, they are, my full Xbox game library comes with me to the next console. Like 70 or so digital games and Game pass, that's hard for Sony to beat and not to mention all friends I play with. There are people I have been playing with on Xbox for nearly 20 years, since Halo 2. That's really hard to make a switch, especially when MSFT was outmatched by Sony with the Xbox One vs. PS4.

Fair enough. My friends that play games pretty much all have PCs, so we always play together there, so any consoles I buy are used to play whatever exclusive games come out for them.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Fair enough. My friends that play games pretty much all have PCs, so we always play together there, so any consoles I buy are used to play whatever exclusive games come out for them.

That's changed in the last couple of years, a few of my friends have moved to PC and we play cross-platform games like Gears, Rocket League and so on.

Reactions: Beau Knows

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario

Why not? I am not a huge gamer (maybe buy 4-6 games a year) but I have stuck with Xbox all the way through. I don’t really care about exclusives and I am more focused on playing with my friends who also have Xbox or PC.

With MS constantly innovating I appreciate their approach to that of Sony. I mean if my kids and girlfriend are tying up the TVs I can now pull out my phone / Tablet and play a game.

Reactions: Jussi

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Why not? I am not a huge gamer (maybe buy 4-6 games a year) but I have stuck with Xbox all the way through. I don’t really care about exclusives and I am more focused on playing with my friends who also have Xbox or PC.

Yeah we covered that above.

With MS constantly innovating I appreciate their approach to that of Sony. I mean if my kids and girlfriend are tying up the TVs I can now pull out my phone / Tablet and play a game.

That would be a feature of the console, like I said.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Except xCloud being tied to Ultimate Game Pass is a service feature. You don't need an Xbox to have the service.

We're talking about buying consoles, so presumably he's buying an XBOX and then also playing those games on other devices.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Don Mattricks idiocy really sunk them this gen but I don't think that's the wrong approach for the majority of gamers. They're going to do a lot better this gen.

Mattrick ruined their launch but consoles have recovered from that before (see the PS3.) Problem was even after his departure they were botching it pretty consistently throughout the generation. It was only a few years ago when they had some exec out there giving interviews about how "people only care about expensive games with good graphics" and "single player games don't sell" or whatever.

Like, I don't even like Sony's western first-party prestige games, and I still think the PS4 catalogue this gen was miles ahead of the XB1. Microsoft went out and acquired a bunch of studios in the last couple of years and has also started to remember at least a little bit that Japan exists, so maybe some of that pans out next gen it can close the gap for them this time.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I think I'll just do the PS5 this time around. I believe the new Halo will be coming out for Xbox One and my Xbox is essentially just for Microsoft exclusives, don't feel the need to update it.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I don't really buy that Microsoft is any more artless or lifeless than Sony or Nintendo. They made some bad choices this generation, no doubt, and paid for them. Hell, they're still digging out of the mess the whole Xbox One philosophy at launch got them into as far as consumer good-will and development assets.

But they're hardly the first publisher to get an ego and make costly mistakes. Nintendo did with the Nintendo 64. Sony did it with the PS3. Sega did it with like, 3 different consoles.

Between the creation of Xbox Live, which between the OG Xbox and Xbox 360, basically set the template for the feature suites we expect on any console, and their latest moves with Gamepass, pushing for cross-play support across consoles, and allowing you to play Xbox games on multiple platforms, I'd say Microsoft has done as much for the consumer experience as any videogame publisher over the years.

As far as Games as Service goes, saying it's inherently bad is like saying platformers are inherently bad, or sports games are inherently bad. It's a style of game design and monetization, and it can be done well or it can be done poorly/abused.

Personally speaking, if a game is going to continue being supported and updated over the long haul with new content, I don't mind supporting it as a service. I prefer that ongoing ecosystem to say, the Call of Duty or EA Sports model, where they release a new damn game every year with minimal differentiation that only serves to split the market and restart the hamster-wheel for another calendar year.

It just has to be transparent, fair, and worthwhile. The content has to be good enough to keep me around, I need to know not only what I'm paying, but what I'm going to be paying months down the road, and the content I get should be commiserate with the price.

A lot of developers and publishers have screwed this up. Microsoft really did early in the generation with the 1st Forza on Xbox One. But they pretty quickly reversed it. I honestly really didn't care about the GaaS implementation in Halo 5, it was restricted to one mode and you could earn everything that you could pay for through in-game play.

But GaaS isn't inherently bad. I'm fine with it when done right.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
He literally said this:

He can do that with Ultimate Game Pass. He doesn't need a console to do that.

We're talking about why he's buying an XBOX and he cited that as a feature, and it is a feature. Game Pass isn't as enticing if you don't have an XBOX or at least a PC to use. Having the ability to play the games you're already paying for on your XBOX on other devices is absolute a feature.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I purchased an Xbox One on the recommendation of a friend maybe 6 weeks ago and find myself wondering if I didn't make a mistake. I'm not knowledgable about videos games at all and the only games I have are FIFA 20 and GTA V, two games that I've been entertained with so far, but strictly in a compulsive, arcade-y kind of way that isn't particularly satisfying after the fact. I plan on digging deeper when I'm through with GTA V for more 'artsy' kind of games that hopefully offer a more rewarding gameplay and aesthetically pleasurable experience. I just kind of feel like I'm not caring enough to get all that I can out of the console. Like, you've really got to dick it up to not pass a mission on GTA V and the game is forgiving to the point of banality. The missions so far (50 percent through so far) don't offer a lot of variety either.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I purchased an Xbox One on the recommendation of a friend maybe 6 weeks ago and find myself wondering if I didn't make a mistake. I'm not knowledgable about videos games at all and the only games I have are FIFA 20 and GTA V, two games that I've been entertained with so far, but strictly in a compulsive, arcade-y kind of way that isn't particularly satisfying after the fact. I plan on digging deeper when I'm through with GTA V for more 'artsy' kind of games that hopefully offer a more rewarding gameplay and aesthetically pleasurable experience. I just kind of feel like I'm not caring enough to get all that I can out of the console. Like, you've really got to dick it up to not pass a mission on GTA V and the game is forgiving to the point of banality. The missions so far (50 percent through so far) don't offer a lot of variety either.

It has a pretty weak lineup in terms of exclusives. The Ori games are great, Cuphead has a neat visual style, not sure what else I'd even recommend if you're looking for something artsy. I've heard Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice is very good, but it's been sitting in my pile for a long time, so I haven't gotten to it.

Inside and Celeste are both incredible, multiplatfrom games though. I think those would provide the type of experience you are looking for.

Reactions: Amerika

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I don't really buy that Microsoft is any more artless or lifeless than Sony or Nintendo. They made some bad choices this generation, no doubt, and paid for them. Hell, they're still digging out of the mess the whole Xbox One philosophy at launch got them into as far as consumer good-will and development assets.

But they're hardly the first publisher to get an ego and make costly mistakes. Nintendo did with the Nintendo 64. Sony did it with the PS3. Sega did it with like, 3 different consoles.

Between the creation of Xbox Live, which between the OG Xbox and Xbox 360, basically set the template for the feature suites we expect on any console, and their latest moves with Gamepass, pushing for cross-play support across consoles, and allowing you to play Xbox games on multiple platforms, I'd say Microsoft has done as much for the consumer experience as any videogame publisher over the years.

As far as Games as Service goes, saying it's inherently bad is like saying platformers are inherently bad, or sports games are inherently bad. It's a style of game design and monetization, and it can be done well or it can be done poorly/abused.

Personally speaking, if a game is going to continue being supported and updated over the long haul with new content, I don't mind supporting it as a service. I prefer that ongoing ecosystem to say, the Call of Duty or EA Sports model, where they release a new damn game every year with minimal differentiation that only serves to split the market and restart the hamster-wheel for another calendar year.

It just has to be transparent, fair, and worthwhile. The content has to be good enough to keep me around, I need to know not only what I'm paying, but what I'm going to be paying months down the road, and the content I get should be commiserate with the price.

A lot of developers and publishers have screwed this up. Microsoft really did early in the generation with the 1st Forza on Xbox One. But they pretty quickly reversed it. I honestly really didn't care about the GaaS implementation in Halo 5, it was restricted to one mode and you could earn everything that you could pay for through in-game play.

But GaaS isn't inherently bad. I'm fine with it when done right.

If games as a service is bad the exclusives models of Sony and Nintendo that force you into their platform are worse and even more anticonsumer.

Reactions: Jussi and GreytWun

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

Just get Gamepass. They have a promotion where you get the first month for $1. It's basically the Netflix of videogames. There's a ton of games on there, both big and small independent games, lots of variety.

Are you a fan of open world games? What made you buy GTAV?

And what do you mean in terms of artsy? You mean in terms of exploring themes, or in terms of presentation?

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

I bought an Xbox One for cheap with game pass or whatever it is called a while back and I played a few like the Ori games but man, I looked through the entire library and they had next to nothing that interested me. Many often say Sony has the exclusives and the great games which is why PS4 sold so well while Xbox has Halo and that racing game and that's it. I know people poke fun but to me it might actually be true. I think I'm going to Playstation 5 next gen. I'll pay more if it means really great games. I'll wait a few years down the road when their bigger budget games come out for Xbox and then maybe buy the Series S.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad