PS5 vs Xbox Series X

Which system are you going to buy?

• Total voters

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Which one are you guys going with this generation? Assuming a similar price point and nothing bonkers happening between now and release date.

The last couple generations I've bought both, but this time I think I'm just going to stick with one. I'm pretty torn. I really don't know anything about the technical aspects of these things, and I have zero brand loyalty. Just trying to see where most people's heads are at.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
At launch? Probably none but next holiday season I'll end up getting both if Halo launches by Holiday 21.

There are so many games from PC, Xbox and PS4 that I've bought and haven't even touched yet.

XSX > PS5 based on specs. Based on games and value? That depends on what you like.

If you like RPG/story based games like Spiderman, HZD, God of War (I am sure there will be a new one soon enough) then go with PS5.

If all you play is third party games then I'd go with the Xbox as all 3rd party games will likely run better on the XSX + Game Pass is pretty good value.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Big Ruszkowski

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I'm getting both. This will be my first Xbox system. Gamepass and backwards compatibility has really sold me.

If I were only getting one though, it would be the PS5. I will never not get a Playstation console. They have great exclusives and they've never let me down.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
PS5. Like a few others have stated I can just play the Xbox games on my PC. I don't have a reason to buy an Xbox system.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
PS5. Like a few others have stated I can just play the Xbox games on my PC. I don't have a reason to buy an Xbox system.
The reason I don't do that is because my PC is nowhere near as powerful as these next gen consoles will be. It costs less for me to buy both systems that it would be to upgrade my pc to meet the same specs.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
The reason I don't do that is because my PC is nowhere near as powerful as these next gen consoles will be. It costs less for me to buy both systems that it would be to upgrade my pc to meet the same specs.
I can see this.
I guess it would depend on what would be available for Xbox/Microsoft only that would even be worth thinking about it. The games that were exclusive for the Xbox One were pretty awful to me and I never once considered getting the system. I hope they can do better this time around.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Eventually both.

I'll buy one at launch, not sure which let, depends on the launch lineup.

If neither one has a great launch lineup, then I'll get the Series X, cause it's more powerful, probably cheaper, has guaranteed backwards-compatibility for every Xbox One game with enhancement, and has gamepass. One, and backwards compatibility for the Xbox Elite Controllers, IMO the best controllers ever made.

I've owned every major console, every generation since SNES/Genesis, so I'm not gonna stop now, lol.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I might buy one or both eventually but there's nothing that appealing to me out of the gate, especially considering there's likely going to be mid-generation upgrades down the road.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Some leaks that Series X will be $599 and PS5 will be $499 (discless version likely being $450), that's a pretty big difference.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

You know I think this may be the first console launch where I'd call this perfectly legit. Normally with PC you'd recoup hardware cost with much cheaper software options, but Microsoft has developed some pretty good budget gaming options for console and I'm sure Sony isn't that far behind.

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
As long as Sony has Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Guerrilla, Sucker Punch, Santa Monica etc. it'll always be PS for me.

I'd be satisfied with next gen just playing titles by their first party studios. On the other hand, I dont have money or time for two systems and I have a PC if theres a must play Xbox exclusive.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
What is Sonys PC strategy? Are Horizon and Death Stranding just to test the market to see if their games are viable on the platform? Do they have any other first party games planned to release on PC?

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
What is Sonys PC strategy? Are Horizon and Death Stranding just to test the market to see if their games are viable on the platform? Do they have any other first party games planned to release on PC?

It seems to be a fairly slow expansion for them into the market.

So far they have one successful port (Death Stranding) and one not-quite-as-successful (Horizon), the latter of which was reportedly a rushed affair that has resulted in some serious issues with the port for some, and it running perfectly for others.

I think Sony's strategy will be to continue to sell their exclusives on PC, albeit on a delay. This is my own speculation here, but I can't see them pulling a Microsoft and having them on PC at launch....I think Sony is still too invested in their own console hardware to make that step.

Still, if you already own a gaming PC and don't care as much about having games immediately at launch, waiting could be an option here.

Crossovers from PS5/XSX to PC could get more interesting as next gen matures, as designs taking advantage of the super speedy SSD could be a challenge to port over to PCs with slower storage. I wonder if we will start seeing a storage speed requirement under the "recommended specs".....

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Xbox. Of the console companies Sony seems like the scummiest and I'm not about to support that. Plus I don't enjoy RPG games and that's pretty much all the 'exclusives' Sony has to offer.

For the time being I'll go with Switch/XSX

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
If action-adventure isn't your cup of tea, I can see Sony's exclusives not being much of a factor for you. Xbox would likely be the better option then.

Some leaks that Series X will be $599 and PS5 will be $499 (discless version likely being $450), that's a pretty big difference.

Unless the above is true, in which case maybe hold out for that rumoured Series S. :laugh:

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Xbox. Of the console companies Sony seems like the scummiest and I'm not about to support that. Plus I don't enjoy RPG games and that's pretty much all the 'exclusives' Sony has to offer.

For the time being I'll go with Switch/XSX

Just curious, what's so scummy about Sony compared to the others? They've been buying up exclusive content in games lately, that's about all that I can think of that they're doing differently right now. Last gen Microsoft had some extremely anti-consumer policies early on that they were forced to abandon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->